Formula E Racing

No, to be honest it is kinda boring. Add to that the fact they have to have two cars, and they swap them mid race, and still do only slightly more laps than half of a regular F1 race and I think it is a fairly poor show. But, I am all for them continuing on because hopefully some useful tech will come from it.

• Banned

No, to be honest it is kinda boring. Add to that the fact they have to have two cars, and they swap them mid race, and still do only slightly more laps than half of a regular F1 race and I think it is a fairly poor show. But, I am all for them continuing on because hopefully some useful tech will come from it.

Have you ever driven an all electric car. My son has Chevy Bolt, and it's kick to drive.

Have you ever driven an all electric car. My son has Chevy Bolt, and it's kick to drive.

Yes, I have driven a Tesla Roadster and I recently had a chance to drive the 2014 Merc SLS AMG Electric Drive that a friend has. They are a kick, there's no doubt about that. I still love the roar of my GT40 though.

As far as the electric racing go's they will not catch up to the ICE powered vehicles for a very long time, if ever. In regular F1 they are getting thermal efficiencies of 50% now. That is unheard of. Granted that is the hybrid system (which I have always said is the way to go) so there is an electric component to it, but pure EV's are pretty much stuck where they are.

They claim 85 to 90% thermal efficiency, but that number plummets when you take in to account the transmission losses and pollution generated by the main grid power plants.

However, I still want to see the tech pursued because it will eventually lead somewhere.

Last edited:
As the batteries increase in storage capacity, and thermal efficiency, the advantages of the EV will quickly outweigh the disadvantages in auto racing. And quick change batteries will be the final nail in the ICE's. In the short races, like the Pikes Peak Hillclimb, the EV's already dominate the ICE's.

This has been around for a while now ...

6cfadccc52d4d377b2af0270f300d6a0--slot-car-racing-slot-cars.jpg

The Tesla S, P100D will crush any other luxury sedan in the quarter mile, the Tesla X will not only crush any other luxury SUV, it will crush almost all high end sports cars in the quarter mile. And, if the Roadster 2 lives up to expectations, there is no other production road legal car that can keep up with it. And they are all continuing to increase acceleration and range.

yea I have, but out grew it.

lafxw1018-1.jpg

The Tesla S, P100D will crush any other luxury sedan in the quarter mile, the Tesla X will not only crush any other luxury SUV, it will crush almost all high end sports cars in the quarter mile. And, if the Roadster 2 lives up to expectations, there is no other production road legal car that can keep up with it. And they are all continuing to increase acceleration and range.

a Kia can beat a telsa form Chicago to Saint Louis who are you kidding?

a Kia can beat a telsa form Chicago to Saint Louis who are you kidding?

Call in the burn unit ...

HaikOperation.jpg

As the batteries increase in storage capacity, and thermal efficiency, the advantages of the EV will quickly outweigh the disadvantages in auto racing. And quick change batteries will be the final nail in the ICE's. In the short races, like the Pikes Peak Hillclimb, the EV's already dominate the ICE's.

I doubt this very much. Until a broadcast power system comes online you will not see EV's ever able to compete in a race like Le Mans, not in any meaningful way.

And what is the race from Chicago to St. Louis called?

It's called the KIA doesn't have to stop, and the Tesla does. A retelling of the tortoise and the hare if you will. In any long distance drive an ICE vehicle will crush a pure EV. And will for at least the next two decades.

It's called the KIA doesn't have to stop, and the Tesla does. A retelling of the tortoise and the hare if you will. In any long distance drive an ICE vehicle will crush a pure EV. And will for at least the next two decades.
LOL So you always race between points on a long drive. LOL I do quite a bit of long driving, and almost always have stops for lunch, or just to stretch the legs, with time enough for a charge at one of the superchargers. If you are a long hauler, then your objection is relevant. However, the Tesla semi gets 500 miles per charge with a full load. And can take a 400 mile charge in 45 minutes.

Really, your objections are just blather, on the par with the fellow standing beside the road at the beginning of the last century, shouting "Get a horse".

LOL So you always race between points on a long drive. LOL I do quite a bit of long driving, and almost always have stops for lunch, or just to stretch the legs, with time enough for a charge at one of the superchargers. If you are a long hauler, then your objection is relevant. However, the Tesla semi gets 500 miles per charge with a full load. And can take a 400 mile charge in 45 minutes.

Really, your objections are just blather, on the par with the fellow standing beside the road at the beginning of the last century, shouting "Get a horse".

No, my observations are not blather. Where have I objected to EVs? I haven't . In fact I have stipulated that I want the R&D to continue. I merely point out where they are in the drivability scheme of things.

When I go on a drive. I am putting 2400 miles on my vehicle. I bought a 2019 Sienna and already have 31,000 miles on it. I like driving.

In fact I will be at the Monterey Classic races in a few weeks to do more driving!

Forum List

Back