Former MLB Commissioner Fay Vincent says current Commissioner "made a serious mistake."

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
I can't ever recall a former Commissioner criticizing a current one.

Rob Manfred’s All-Star Error
The commissioner politicized baseball over a law he likely hadn’t examined.

Major League Baseball decided last week to move the All-Star Game out of Atlanta after the Georgia Legislature passed changes to the state’s voting laws that many, including President Biden, called racist. Activists urged Commissioner Robert Manfred to punish Georgia. By rushing to do so without first protesting the substance of the law, Mr. Manfred made a serious mistake.

The use of “muscle” or financial power to influence policy is an ancient tactic. The term “boycott” has its roots in 19th-century Ireland, where the nationalist politician Charles Stewart Parnell urged his followers not to deal with Charles Cunningham Boycott, a highly unpopular British land agent. A boycott is generally an act of desperation, and the original one was largely unsuccessful.

Rob Manfred’s All-Star Error - WSJ

Major League Baseball decided last week to move the All-Star Game out of Atlanta after the Georgia Legislature passed changes to the state’s voting laws that many, including President Biden, called racist. Activists urged Commissioner Robert Manfred to punish Georgia. By rushing to do so without first protesting the substance of the law, Mr. Manfred made a serious mistake.

The use of “muscle” or financial power to influence policy is an ancient tactic. The term “boycott” has its roots in 19th-century Ireland, where the nationalist politician Charles Stewart Parnell urged his followers not to deal with Charles Cunningham Boycott, a highly unpopular British land agent. A boycott is generally an act of desperation, and the original one was largely unsuccessful.

He was only commish of about 3 years and it wasn't even an illustrious 4 years. Remember his ban of George Steinbrenner. It was wrong and overruled and reversed the year after Vincent was out. Yes former commissioners do not criticize sitting commissioners, and he shouldn't either.

Ya think? Shitting on the productive half of the country with the jobs and the money... not to mention the wholesomeness to follow baseball...

Yeah I'd say so. 50 years of playing and watching it for me. Fucking gone. I don't even miss it. More time to play golf and chase my trophy wife around the house. Call me DJT junior.... I'll wear it like a badge.

Suck my cock MLB.

He was only commish of about 3 years and it wasn't even an illustrious 4 years. Remember his ban of George Steinbrenner. It was wrong and overruled and reversed the year after Vincent was out. Yes former commissioners do not criticize sitting commissioners, and he shouldn't either.

That doesn't make sense since you seem to have a double standard here when you criticize Vincent criticizing Manfred while ignoring MLB criticizing the State of Georgia government.

Spring training broadcast ratings and attendance ratings are down...numbers don't lie...do you want a CEO that brings in fans or one that gets media attention for his woke self at the leagues expense....

You seem to love moving the goal posts like your daddy Biden.

Spring training broadcast ratings and attendance ratings are down...numbers don't lie...do you want a CEO that brings in fans or one that gets media attention for his woke self at the leagues expense....

I guess they won't lose any money from me since I stopped watching baseball when they all striked some years back. We should just come out with our own leagues. Screw the MLB. They can move to China for all I care.

Baseball has no business in politics and this protest against Georgia's law is nothing but the worst kind of politics. Cancel culture is a form of extortion.

That doesn't make sense since you seem to have a double standard here when you criticize Vincent criticizing Manfred while ignoring MLB criticizing the State of Georgia government.
Maybe you will get lucky. Who knows. maybe in a few years they will replace Rob Manfred with somebody that agrees, minorities and poor people in Georgia (more than 51% of the electorate) really should be discouraged from voting by any means necessary and might move it back there. After all, what if the majority of the electorate voted for people that support the majority of the state. I am sure you are quite right, that the majority of people in any given state secretly want to be and deserve to be ruled by the minority of the state. Otherwise, it would look too much like living in a democracy.
I did not agree about kicking George Steinbrenner out of baseball (anymore then I agreed with Steinbrenner hiring somebody to dig up dirt on Dave Windfield, a great Yankees player, to try to win a lawsuit) and sure enough, the year after Vincent was out. the new commissioner reversed the decision and the ban was lifted. I do not believe former commissions should be criticizing sitting commissioners any more than outgoing presidents should be criticizing sitting presidents.
I understand your discomfort at major corporations voicing their opinions of politics that effect their employees and customers, not just their business model. Perhaps you can get a law requiring major corporations to give money to political campaigns (so politicians can keep their perks), but keep their positions on political issues to themselves, except for working through back room lobbyists to secretly pay off politicians to get what they want. Good luck with that.

When the professional leagues get political over political views, they end up alienating half their fan base.

You seem to love moving the goal posts like your daddy Biden.
No moving anything. The thread was written supporting the 82 year old former commissioner of baseball's critique of the the sitting commissioner. I merely pointed out a reason why that short term commissioner wasn't revered for his judgement, even way back in the day when he was juggling the position himself.

New Topics

Forum List

Back