Former Florida GOP Chairman Charged With Attempting To Defraud State Party

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Jim Greer Arrested: Former Florida GOP Chairman Charged With Attempting To Defraud State Party

ORLANDO, Fla. — The former chairman of the Republican Party of Florida was arrested Wednesday for allegedly running a scam bilking money from the party.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement took Jim Greer, 47, into custody at his Orlando-area home. He is charged with one count of organized fraud, four counts of felony grand theft and one count of money laundering, said William Shepherd, Florida's statewide prosecutor.

Greer funneled party money to a company called Victory Strategies that he controlled and concealed his relationship with, investigators said. On Greer's orders, the Republican Party of Florida paid Victory Strategies for campaign work, much of which was never performed. That was in addition to a 10 percent cut of major donations to the party that Greer took along with his top assistant, Delmar Johnson, Shepherd said.

Greer got about $125,000 of the almost $200,000 that the party paid Victory Strategies, the statewide prosecutor said.

Greer resigned in February after reports surfaced that he used party funds on ritzy hotels, gourmet restaurants and private jets. Johnson is helping with the investigation and isn't being charged, prosecutors said. He declined comment when contacted by text message Wednesday.

Greer's steep descent from party chairman to pariah could drag down Gov. Charlie Crist's bid for U.S. Senate. The two are longtime allies, and Crist backed Greer until the day he stepped down.

Thoughts USMB?

Jim Greer Arrested: Former Florida GOP Chairman Charged With Attempting To Defraud State Party

ORLANDO, Fla. — The former chairman of the Republican Party of Florida was arrested Wednesday for allegedly running a scam bilking money from the party.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement took Jim Greer, 47, into custody at his Orlando-area home. He is charged with one count of organized fraud, four counts of felony grand theft and one count of money laundering, said William Shepherd, Florida's statewide prosecutor.

Greer funneled party money to a company called Victory Strategies that he controlled and concealed his relationship with, investigators said. On Greer's orders, the Republican Party of Florida paid Victory Strategies for campaign work, much of which was never performed. That was in addition to a 10 percent cut of major donations to the party that Greer took along with his top assistant, Delmar Johnson, Shepherd said.

Greer got about $125,000 of the almost $200,000 that the party paid Victory Strategies, the statewide prosecutor said.

Greer resigned in February after reports surfaced that he used party funds on ritzy hotels, gourmet restaurants and private jets. Johnson is helping with the investigation and isn't being charged, prosecutors said. He declined comment when contacted by text message Wednesday.

Greer's steep descent from party chairman to pariah could drag down Gov. Charlie Crist's bid for U.S. Senate. The two are longtime allies, and Crist backed Greer until the day he stepped down.

Thoughts USMB?

I came over here to post this thread myself. It is a sad fact that criminal membership of politics, knows no party. Very angry about this and hope it rubs off also on Benedict Crist as well as Greer!!! :evil:

Who cares other than Democratic Party hacks looking for evidence of GOP "hypocrisy"??

I care about this and I vote a Republican ticket and will continue to. I do not approve of thiefs and crooks in any party and they are coming out of the woodworks in all...

Who cares other than Democratic Party hacks looking for evidence of GOP "hypocrisy"??

I care about this and I vote a Republican ticket and will continue to. I do not approve of thiefs and crooks in any party and they are coming out of the woodworks in all...

How old are you again? There are thieves and crooks at every level of every party. Sainthood just isn't one of those requirements to join either party. This was a small person in one state. Get over it.

My first thought when I saw the story was that you were going to make a thread out of it on USMB.

Good to know you can keep up trolling in a thread where I made no comment except asking for the thoughts of others. Quite impressive. :thup:

How old are you again? There are thieves and crooks at every level of every party. Sainthood just isn't one of those requirements to join either party. This was a small person in one state. Get over it.

I don't think one would consider a chairman of a entire state's party to be low on the rungs. :eusa_eh:

"Get over it?" Sorry but it is a hard, but not impossible thing to do, getting over a betrayal of any kind....

Politicians should be treated like every other employee that bilks...defrauds. Jail Time.

I don't think one would consider a chairman of a entire state's party to be low on the rungs. :eusa_eh:

He was the former chairman. Read your own article.

You're the troll master. I'm trying to learn from the best! :thup:

Even on my best day I doubt I could troll as well you Xsited. But it's okay, every board has their set of trolls, you fulfill part of that role quite nicely. :thup:

"This was a small person in one state. Get over it." Oh and that line is supposed to justify crime? Wow. Our standards are very different.

He was the former chairman. Read your own article.

Yes, because he was from removed from office after serving as Chairman for four years. I understand you don't care about the corruption publicly in this case, as it's a Republican, however just because it happens on a constant basis doesn't make it better.

Politicians should be treated like every other employee that bilks...defrauds. Jail Time.

The T, me thinks you to be one very admirable guy. I have read many of your thoughts and have concluded this. Thanks for being around...

Forum List

Back