Forget What You're Being Told. Here's the Real Reason for California's Trucker Shortage.

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
The left ruins everything it touches. They have wrecked the Golden State. And they are infecting the rest of America.

There are multiple causes, including union rules preventing extra shifts or longer hours to get the ships unloaded, a lack of rail capacity for the extra goods, and not enough truckers to haul everything away.
What if I told you the trucker shortage isn’t just what you’ve been told?
What if I told you that in California, the trucker shortage is a self-inflicted wound?
What if I told you the wound was inflicted by Democrats?
You can’t find your shocked face, can you?
Long term, this nation does have a trucker problem. The average age for truckers is 55, and the industry is having a hard time attracting new workers.
Redwood Logistics explains:
The Federal requirement states you must be 21 years old to hold an Interstate Commercial Divers License. This leaves a 3-year post-high school gap, where possible employees become distracted by new employment opportunities.

Over the next 10-15 years, a lot of truckers are going to retire, and there aren’t enough replacements in the pipeline.
The immediate problem, the one in Los Angeles, has been caused by the state’s vindictively regulatory state government.
We’ll get to the trucker shortage in just a moment, but California also faces a shortage of trucks for them to drive.
Twitter user Jerry Oakley reminds us that “Carriers domiciled in California with trucks older than 2011 model, or using engines manufactured before 2010, will need to meet the Board’s new Truck and Bus Regulation beginning in 2020.” Otherwise, “Their vehicles will be blocked from registration with the state’s DMV,” according to California law.
“The requirement is to purchase electric trucks which do not exist.”
As a result, trucks aren’t being purchased to replace the ones being regulated out of business.
But even if there were plenty of trucks in California, there wouldn’t be enough truckers to drive them — and it isn’t because the truckers are too old.
The NEWS says the California port situation is caused by a driver shortage.
Not so fast: It is in part caused by a California Truck Ban which says all trucks must be 2011 or newer and a law called AB 5 which prohibits Owner Operators. pic.twitter.com/yYIsTQsPIe
— Jerry Oakley (@JERRYO1029) October 12, 2021

...​

The left ruins everything it touches. They have wrecked the Golden State. And they are infecting the rest of America.

There are multiple causes, including union rules preventing extra shifts or longer hours to get the ships unloaded, a lack of rail capacity for the extra goods, and not enough truckers to haul everything away.
What if I told you the trucker shortage isn’t just what you’ve been told?
What if I told you that in California, the trucker shortage is a self-inflicted wound?
What if I told you the wound was inflicted by Democrats?
You can’t find your shocked face, can you?
Long term, this nation does have a trucker problem. The average age for truckers is 55, and the industry is having a hard time attracting new workers.
Redwood Logistics explains:

Over the next 10-15 years, a lot of truckers are going to retire, and there aren’t enough replacements in the pipeline.
The immediate problem, the one in Los Angeles, has been caused by the state’s vindictively regulatory state government.
We’ll get to the trucker shortage in just a moment, but California also faces a shortage of trucks for them to drive.
Twitter user Jerry Oakley reminds us that “Carriers domiciled in California with trucks older than 2011 model, or using engines manufactured before 2010, will need to meet the Board’s new Truck and Bus Regulation beginning in 2020.” Otherwise, “Their vehicles will be blocked from registration with the state’s DMV,” according to California law.
“The requirement is to purchase electric trucks which do not exist.”
As a result, trucks aren’t being purchased to replace the ones being regulated out of business.
But even if there were plenty of trucks in California, there wouldn’t be enough truckers to drive them — and it isn’t because the truckers are too old.

...​

Thanks. I heard that earlier today, and meant to post it on here. More info on AB-5, ,and how it's causing a bottleneck in California:

9th Circuit Court of Appeals Rules Truckers Are No Longer Exempt From AB 5 - California Globe

Every major trucking company has similar or stricter requirements for trucks they own or lease. Down time and insurance cost makes older trucks too expensive to run. Almost all refineries and plants have similar requirements for trucks hauling to or from their facilities.

Not so fast: It is in part caused by a California Truck Ban which says all trucks must be 2011 or newer and a law called AB 5 which prohibits Owner Operators. pic.twitter.com/yYIsTQsPIe

excalibur Thank you for telling it like it is.

It's caused by the combination of all these things.

Failure isn't usually due to one event, it's usually a cascade of events that cause the system in question to fail functionally.

excalibur Thank you for telling it like it is.
AB5 doesn't prohibit owner operators. It does define the difference between a contractor, and an employee. An employee is paid overtime, and is guaranteed a safe working environment, as well as other advantages of an employee. A contractor is not.

The law codifies and expands the scope of the so-called "ABC test", established in the Dynamex ruling. That test states that a worker must be classified as an employee, and not a contractor, unless the employment meets all of the following conditions: (A) the individual is free from direction and control applicable both under the contract for the performance of service and in fact; (B) the service is performed outside the usual course of business of the employer; and (C) the individual is customarily engaged in an independently established trade, occupation, profession, or business of the same nature as that involved in the service performed.

Every major trucking company has similar or stricter requirements for trucks they own or lease. Down time and insurance cost makes older trucks too expensive to run. Almost all refineries and plants have similar requirements for trucks hauling to or from their facilities.
No they don't.

No, older trucks aren't more expensive to maintain.

Plants don't have any such requirements.

I did repeated searches relating to semi-truck shortage in California. Could not find it, except for PJ Media, which is high traffic, low credibility site, so I don't buy it as a cause of the current problem getting containers off the docks and on the highway. Though, it might be, in the future.

I used to drive a truck, with license back to the Special Chauffeurs license predating the modern CDL, which I also held, as a hedge against driver shortage, where I managed transportation and logistics.

I wouldn't be too quick to put 18-year-olds behind to wheel of a big rig, if I were you. They generally lack self-discipline, attention to detail, and good judgement, as that is how they are wired at that age. They also make up the group most often involved in deadly motor vehicle accidents.

Forum List

Back