For those of you who love Seafood Gumbo.

Gotsta have a good iron dutch oven or yuza pissin up a rope. I had one of those ceramic lined France types.Great of tomaterz were in the picture It vanished years ago. I have a 1940 something ol Griswold #10 I've had for nearly 50 years. That boy in the vid has it right.

I'm a low country boil kind of guy myself....

New Orleans has wonderful food but I prefer gumbos and creoles and etoufee that is lighter like in the Lowcountry without the dark roux.

I find that light roux's dont have the flavor of dark roux.
I want that deep smokey flavor in my gumbo as well as my etouffee...like they use in the lowcountry. We're talking bayou country on the coast...which of course is the low country.

Charleston and the sea islands.. Their cuisine is lighter than in New Orleans.

Thats not even in Louisiana.

Right.. Coastal Carolina's cuisine is lighter than NOLA.
Up around Loris/Tabor they like some heat to the peppers too

I feel inspired, looks like a great recipe. I might add okra though. I love the stuff and the best Gumbo I had in Alexandria was a seafood gumbo and I'm pretty sure the okra was heavy in there.

I like Okra too but you can use Filé powder, also called gumbo filé..I think its ground up sasafrass

Love some File!!!
If you dont add okra ya pretty much have to add File to thicken things up.

In Charleston Shrimp and Grits, She Crab Soup and Catfish Stew are very popular.

Shrimp and Grits are popular all along the Gulf coast.
Is catfish stew anything like Coubion or otherwise known as Courtbouillon?
They make a fantastic Courtbouillon in Jamaica where a lot of the creole influence comes from.

Gotsta have a good iron dutch oven or yuza pissin up a rope. I had one of those ceramic lined France types.Great of tomaterz were in the picture It vanished years ago. I have a 1940 something ol Griswold #10 I've had for nearly 50 years. That boy in the vid has it right.

LOL...Funny you should mention Frog Cookware.
Just ordered a Le Creuset 5.5 quart Dutch oven about 20 minutes ago.
Our collection is now up to almost 2k. with 4 pieces.
The shit aint cheap but nothing else cooks like it.
I'm gonna have to tell my Niece who will end up with all our shit when we die not to sell it for a 100 bucks at the estate sale when we croak.

Nice recipe but I follow the no sausage in seafood gumbo rule.
And I always buy extra shrimp with the head on so I can make my seafood stock with it.
Of course the best thing about Gumbo...it dont matter what you throw in it as long as it taste good at the end.

Agree on the sausage, and I would add scallops.

I'm wondering what Conch Meat would do.

He left out the Pope on the Holy Trinity!!!....Garlic! :auiqs.jpg:

I didn't see him add much pepper either. The best Gumbo I had was pretty spicy. I'd say bridging those aspects would make something perfect.

In the Wife and I's decades search of the ultimate Gumbo heat was never the problem it's always been the dark smokey roux. This is after hitting up many Cajuns and even a Cajun Grandma of my Wifes coworker.
I'll never forget her words when my Wife told her I used a cup of oil and a cup of flour to make roux.
"Oh that poor boy,stirring and stirring" At that point I was pissed!!!
I didnt know if she was using the old southern laugh at a rookie or actually meant it.
I think at this point she was laughing at my inexperience.

And I always buy extra shrimp with the head on so I can make my seafood stock with it.
Of course the best thing about Gumbo...it dont matter what you throw in it as long as it taste good at the end.

We've done scallops before but you have to put em in at the last minute or they disintegrate like crab meat does.

Oh...I bet conch would be bad ass if you put it in at the right time!!
Leave it in to long and it'd get rubbery like octopus.

To me my favorite way to eat conch is to pull it outta the shell,rub it with salt to get the slime off and rinse with fresh water.
Then put it in a salad consisting of tomatoes,avocados,onions,lime juice,orange juice,lemon juice,some bell peppers and some diced habaneros.
And maybe a little salt unless they left a little while cleaning.
There was a kid on the beach in Elizabeth Harbor in the Bahamas that made it that way....It was bad ass!!

Talk about irony. I just made seafood gumbo for dinner
raw.gif

I sure am a mean mother fucker...

That said you have to have okra in gumbo, some jalapenos, or tabasco sauce plus a lot of garlic.

It's worth further discussion and experiment.

Forum List

Back