For those of you who love Seafood Gumbo.

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
Fuck Y'all I'm From Texas!
I've been making Gumbo for at least twenty years and my favorite will always be the seafood variety.
While I like a nice Andouille sausage and chicken version nothing beats seafood Gumbo on a cold winter day.
We all know a good Roux is the key.
I've always gone with standard 50/50 mix of oil and flour and did the old stirr for 45 minutes or longer to get that dark chocolate roux. It's easy to get the old penny color but the dark chocolate is a bitch!!!
I recently tried the oven method which wasn't any faster but the risk of burning your roux went way down.

Bring on Isaac Toups....
He made dark Roux in 10 minutes at medium high heat and the oil had just started to smoke,which was always an indicator that your oil was to hot,normally you'd look for that shimmer in the oil.
I was shocked to say the least! So of course we had to try it. We did the sausage and chicken Gumbo in this recipe since I wasn't about to drop $80 bucks on seafood on my first attempt. Of course I could have just started over on the roux if I burned it but I'm always looking for a good Gumbo recipe.

Sure as shit the Roux turned out perfect on the first try in 10 fucking minutes!!!
I highly recommend this recipe!!! It was the best Andouille and chicken Gumbo I've ever had!!

Ordered his Cookbook on Tuesday because I couldnt find his Seafood Gumbo recipe online.

Looks like I have my Saturday plans. Only it'll be my favorite...Seafood Gumbo.

Go to 4:00 to see how he made his roux.

Last edited:
I've been making Gumbo for at least twenty years and my favorite will always be the seafood variety.
While I like a nice Andouille sausage and chicken version nothing beats seafood Gumbo on a cold winter day.
We all know a good Roux is the key.
I've always gone with standard 50/50 mix of oil and flour and did the old stirr for 45 minutes or longer to get that dark chocolate roux. It's easy to get the old penny color but the dark chocolate is a bitch!!!
I recently tried the oven method which wasn't any faster but the risk of burning your roux went way down.

Bring on Isaac Toups....
He made dark Roux in 10 minutes at medium high heat and the oil had just started to smoke,which was always an indicator that your oil was to hot,normally you'd look for that shimmer in the oil.
I was shocked to say the least! So of course we had to try it. We did the sausage and chicken Gumbo in this recipe since I wasn't about to drop $80 bucks on seafood on my first attempt. Of course I could have just started over on the roux if I burned it but I'm always looking for a good Gumbo recipe.

Sure as shit the Roux turned out perfect on the first try in 10 fucking minutes!!!
I highly recommend this recipe!!! It was the best Andouille and chicken Gumbo I've ever had!!

Ordered his Cookbook on Tuesday because I couldnt find his Seafood Gumbo recipe online.

Looks like I have my Saturday plans. Only it'll be my favorite...Seafood Gumbo.

Go to 4:00 to see how he made his roux.

??? I seen a Senate roll all

I'm a low country boil kind of guy myself....

New Orleans has wonderful food but I prefer gumbos and creoles and etoufee that is lighter like in the Lowcountry without the dark roux.

I find that light roux's dont have the flavor of dark roux.
I want that deep smokey flavor in my gumbo as well as my etouffee...like they use in the lowcountry. We're talking bayou country on the coast...which of course is the low country.

New Orleans has wonderful food but I prefer gumbos and creoles and etoufee that is lighter like in the Lowcountry without the dark roux.

I want that deep smokey flavor in my gumbo as well as my etouffee...like they use in the lowcountry. We're talking bayou country on the coast...which of course is the low country.

Charleston and the sea islands.. Their cuisine is lighter than in New Orleans.

I feel inspired, looks like a great recipe. I might add okra though. I love the stuff and the best Gumbo I had in Alexandria was a seafood gumbo and I'm pretty sure the okra was heavy in there.

I hear ya.
I love okra in my gumbo as well but I went without in this recipe and will do so with his seafood gumbo.
It turned out badass without it.
Since we're making a big batch of seafood gumbo Saturday using his recipe I already told the Wife I'm pulling a third of it and adding okra since it goes in at the end anyway.
He doesn't use File in his seafood gumbo which to me is essential in seafood gumbo if your not going to use okra to thicken it.

I feel inspired, looks like a great recipe. I might add okra though. I love the stuff and the best Gumbo I had in Alexandria was a seafood gumbo and I'm pretty sure the okra was heavy in there.

I like Okra too but you can use Filé powder, also called gumbo filé..I think its ground up sasafrass

Love some File!!!
If you dont add okra ya pretty much have to add File to thicken things up.

Thats not even in Louisiana.

I like Okra too but you can use Filé powder, also called gumbo filé..I think its ground up sasafrass

Love some File!!!
If you dont add okra ya pretty much have to add File to thicken things up.

In Charleston Shrimp and Grits, She Crab Soup and Catfish Stew are very popular.

Thats not even in Louisiana.

Right.. Coastal Carolina's cuisine is lighter than NOLA.

Forum List

Back