For the streaming folks...

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Maybe a year ago or so I took a look at Discovery Channel's streaming options, and I was not impressed. I canceled the trial before it became active.
It is a lot different now.
It is called Discovery+
It now also has shows from Food Network/TLC/HGTV/Magnolia/ID on top of Discovery.
Lots of good shows and if you are a fan of Documentaries... holy cow! There is a lot
And CHEAP!!.... $7 per/mo for the No Ads choice (obviously not choosing with ads)

You might take a look... looks to be a LOT better than Peacock

What's the point? It seems to me that "streaming" is for people who can't get enough entertainment from normal channels like TV.

What's the point? It seems to me that "streaming" is for people who can't get enough entertainment from normal channels like TV.
Are you serious?
Uh... no commercials. You watch whenever you want, you choose to pay only for what you want... at about 15% the cost of cable.
Example, the above stations... to get all of those you will need to subscribe to an upper bundle with cable. Prices for cable are lal over the place depending on where you live, but most definitely near or over $100/mo.
Above cost me $7.99/mo commercial free

There lots reasons why people stream but mostly it's watching exactly what you want to watch when you want to watch.

In regard to movies, it's estimated that there have been 500,000 movies made for public viewing of which about half of them are still around. Your chance of finding any of the more obscure titles are far better on streaming services than on TV channels. What would be great would be a master index.

There lots reasons why people stream but mostly it's watching exactly what you want to watch when you want to watch.

In regard to movies, it's estimated that there have been 500,000 movies made for public viewing of which about half of them are still around. Your chance of finding any of the more obscure titles are far better on streaming services than on TV channels. What would be great would be a master index.
I agree... the closest to a master index is, again, a Roku.
You can search for whatever movie you want...
This is how it works (pic attached).... I just speak "Marty" into the remote... and this is the result.
You can see on the right it shows you viewing option. Usually the free ones are with commercials, unless it is available on Netflix etc.
Everything that shows up is available for you to watch.

IMG_1042.jpg

Flopper Bonzi and I like to watch movies from decades.
We will choose a film from the 40s, next time the 50s, next 60s etc.
Vudu has a nice option in their search where you can filter movies by what decade.

I agree... the closest to a master index is, again, a Roku.
You can search for whatever movie you want...
This is how it works (pic attached).... I just speak "Marty" into the remote... and this is the result.
You can see on the right it shows you viewing option. Usually the free ones are with commercials, unless it is available on Netflix etc.
Everything that shows up is available for you to watch.

View attachment 520906
You can do the same thing with Comcast but they just include their channels and major streaming services such as Netflix, Prime, etc.

Forum List

Back