midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
Everyone live in a bubble. Some bubbles are broad and encompassing others narrow and limited. PC and I have talked past each other often, each assuming the other is listening. We've been on usmb for years now. So this OP is for PC and her constant arguments about education and its effects. An old friend of mine would always say, be careful what you ask for.... it may not be what you wanted.

'I Grew Up in the Benedict Option. Here’s Why It Didn’t Work.' by Libby Ann

I Grew Up in the Benedict Option. Here's Why It Didn't Work.

"The same was true with basically everything. I didn’t hear the other side’s argument from the horse’s mouth, as it were, until I was in college, and when I did I was surprised, because what the other side actually said didn’t line up with what I’d been taught it said. This created a crisis of faith, because I no longer felt I could trust what my parents had taught me."

PS If anyone thinks they have countered one on my posts or threads and would like a reply please pm me, there isn't sufficent time to read everything. My alerts grow and grow. Thanks.

No comments? I was surprised when I heard Betsy DeVos was overruled by Sessions on the Transgender bathroom issue. Seems she has more sense than Sessions. While a non-issue it stirs up the base who live in a sort of imaginary land of fear and dread. Americans worship sports but learning not so much. Listening to Trump's ramblings reminds one that even the privileged, given all the opportunities America offers, fail to learn. The man is embarrassing.

See illiteracy stats at bottom for the consequences.

"The new voucher studies stand in marked contrast to research findings that well-regulated charter schools in Massachusetts and elsewhere have a strong, positive impact on test scores. But while vouchers and charters are often grouped under the umbrella of “school choice,” the best charters tend to be nonprofit public schools, open to all and accountable to public authorities. The less “private” that school choice programs are, the better they seem to work."

"Three consecutive reports, each studying one of the largest new state voucher programs, found that vouchers hurt student learning. Researchers and advocates began a spirited debate about what, exactly, was going on." https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/23/...surprise-researchers-as-devos-era-begins.html

Statistics.

Literacy Project Foundation - Statistics

Something is very fishy with that data. Take kids out of failing public schools, put them in private or parochial schools, and their achievement test scores go DOWN?

Bullshit. It is simply not believable. Maybe the studies were sponsored by the NEA.

Everyone live in a bubble. Some bubbles are broad and encompassing others narrow and limited. PC and I have talked past each other often, each assuming the other is listening. We've been on usmb for years now. So this OP is for PC and her constant arguments about education and its effects. An old friend of mine would always say, be careful what you ask for.... it may not be what you wanted.

'I Grew Up in the Benedict Option. Here’s Why It Didn’t Work.' by Libby Ann

I Grew Up in the Benedict Option. Here's Why It Didn't Work.

"The same was true with basically everything. I didn’t hear the other side’s argument from the horse’s mouth, as it were, until I was in college, and when I did I was surprised, because what the other side actually said didn’t line up with what I’d been taught it said. This created a crisis of faith, because I no longer felt I could trust what my parents had taught me."

PS If anyone thinks they have countered one on my posts or threads and would like a reply please pm me, there isn't sufficent time to read everything. My alerts grow and grow. Thanks.
Anecdotal evidence from one very biased source. Big fat hairy deal.

As to your opening comment about living in bubbles; I do believe that a moment of introspection would be called for.

Something is very fishy with that data. Take kids out of failing public schools, put them in private or parochial schools, and their achievement test scores go DOWN?

Bullshit. It is simply not believable. Maybe the studies were sponsored by the NEA.

Ever hear the expression that you can take the boy out of the 'hood but you'll never take the 'hood out of the boy?

Bad students are bad students. Changing their address doesn't help one bit in most cases.

When hurricane Katrina displaced a lot of the kids from the New Orleans schools into our school, we struggled every day with the constant misbehavior of these juvenile delinquents in training.

We had three notoriously bad high schools in the district. It was often said that we could exchange faculties from the top three schools with the bottom three schools. The bad schools would continue to be bad and the good schools would continue to be good. Why? You didn't change the key ingredient: the students!

Look closely at the writeup of that study. It states a number of things that are salient. It states that these results are not typical, and in fact differ significantly from what others have found. It mentions some factors that might have contributed to the surprising results that fed the headlines.

Consider: These kids did not start in the private school in Kindergarten or first grade, but the third or fourth grade. When they arrived in their new schools, the students already in the private school were probably a year or more ahead of them, which - one would expect - would place them at a learning disadvantage. It is VERY difficult to learn anything in math when the instruction is beyond what you know. This MIGHT explain why the transferees did so badly in the first year, and improved significantly in year 2. In later years, one can only speculate, but the trend is positive.

Forum List

Back