For Guitar Players

I might make a new vid today and post it on here. I have an old one. I will find it and post it.

I have me an Epiphone 6 string acoustic circa 1975-ish (now owned by Gibson)
Bought it new for less than 250 bucks around 1975.
It has aged beautifully and a guitar teacher I had several years ago advised me not to sell.
Apparently worth a few grand at minimum - Cased and in pristine condition.
Thanks for the inspiration to start playing the damn thing. I tinker ;)

Been playing since 1964. Started right after l saw The Beatles on Ed Sullivan.

Traded a fishing rod (and reel) for an old Epiphone arch top a friend had hanging in his garage, got some Black Diamond strings and a Mel Bay book and off I went.

Been hacking away ever since.

I used to collect guitars, and have had as high as 45 at any one time.

Life's a bit more manageable these days. I've got a relative few.

My favorite? That's easy: My 1986 Alvarez-Yairi DY-66. It's German Maple back and sides with a red cedar top:

6499160449_71607d9039_o.jpg
6499161011_1f6a70ff31_o.jpg
6499160631_cc3ac6f5e2_o.jpg

I traded a 1974 Gibson Blue Ridge for it (can you say "Norlin"?) When I got it, it was in absolutely pristine condition. I'm responsible for every scratch, nick, scrape, ding and crack on it. I put the pickguard on it because I'd never seen a steel string guitar without one. Good thing I did! This guitar has fallen down a flight of stairs, it's been on fire, it's been in a flood, it's been hit by a car and it's fallen out the back of a van. I can't kill it. It won't let me.

A friend of mine says this represents the "gold standard" of acoustic guitar tone. I don't know about that, but I do know it's heavenly...

I didn't mean it like that. You are better than 90% of guitar players. And 99% of guitar players suck.
Thanks. M. You could say I'm one of those intermediate players
who never took it to the next level and kept his day job.. So my window of becoming a rock star at 60 is closing fast, but there's no rule against just having fun with it.
Don't be so pessimistic. Maybe we could start a band and call it "Midlife Crisis".

Too late...

MIDLIFE CRISIS BAND - Chicago Classic Rock, R&B and Funk

Forum List

Back