Food and Recipes Focus on Nutrition and Health

Stryder50

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2021
Lynden, WA, USA
Although taste/flavor is always a bonus, some foods and/or the way they are prepared can have a major effect on their nutritional and/or health impacts ~ effectiveness.

I'm sure I've presented some articles/links of this sort in another thread, and I'll likely fish them out and copy over here in the near future.

For now, I'll lead off with this as an example;

Nine Vegetables That Are Healthier for You When Cooked​

Heat can release bound-up nutrients from vegetables.​

1. Asparagus​

2. Mushrooms​

3. Spinach​

4. Tomatoes​

5. Carrots​

6. Bell peppers​

7. Brassica​

8. Green beans​

9. Kale​

Last edited:

The spooky and dangerous side of black licorice

Black licorice may look and taste like an innocent treat, but this candy has a dark side. On Sept. 23, 2020, it was reported that black licorice was the culprit in the death of a 54-year-old man in Massachusetts. How could this be? Overdosing on licorice sounds more like a twisted tale than a plausible fact.

I have a longstanding interest in how chemicals in our food and the environment affect our body and mind. When something seemingly harmless like licorice is implicated in a death, we are reminded of the famous proclamation by Swiss physician Paracelsus, the Father of Toxicology: “All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; the dosage alone makes it so a thing is not a poison.”

I am a professor in the department of pharmacology and toxicology and author of the bookPleased to Meet Me: Genes, Germs, and the Curious Forces That Make Us Who We Are.”

The root of the problem​

The unfortunate man who succumbed to excessive black licorice consumption is not alone. There are a smattering of similar case reports in medical journals, in which patients experience hypertension crisis, muscle breakdown or even death. Adverse reactions are most frequently seen in people over the age of 40 who are eating far more black licorice than the average person. In addition, they are usually consuming the product for prolonged periods of time. In the most recent case, the Massachusetts man had been eating a bag and a half of black licorice every day for three weeks.

I have told many folks that putting spinach in your salad does you very little good.
Spinach has a natural binder that encapsulates it's nutrients to ward off animals over grazing it.
Heat quickly breaks down that binder, simply blanching the spinach in hot water will triple the nutrients you get out of it

Try these:

8A245AD2-1584-4D3B-B953-461FA326D89C.jpeg

High-Protein Alternatives to Meat​

Tasty protein with fewer carbon emissions.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll still eat meat on occasion since it provides some essential enzymes, amino acids, and other essentials not found in plants.

It’s not the tastiest, but nothing beats skinless chicken breasts, brown rice and broccoli for building muscle

Many of the most nutritious foods are also the most sustainable​

A new approach calculates the sustainability of multi-ingredient foods.
~~~~~~~~~~~

How to Get the Most Out of Your Groceries (and Help the Planet Along the Way)​

From regrowing vegetables (no soil needed!) to deliciously repurposing leftovers, there are plenty of creative ways to stretch out the lifespan of your food.​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Longevity Linked to Proteins That Calm Overexcited Neurons​

New research makes a molecular connection between the brain and aging — and shows that overactive neurons can shorten life span.​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 Plant-Based Foods to Eat Every Week (and Why Science Suggests They’re Good for You)​

As a laureate professor in nutrition and dietetics, people often ask me what I eat. Here are four plant-based foods I have on my weekly grocery list.

Last edited:

The spooky and dangerous side of black licorice

Black licorice may look and taste like an innocent treat, but this candy has a dark side. On Sept. 23, 2020, it was reported that black licorice was the culprit in the death of a 54-year-old man in Massachusetts. How could this be? Overdosing on licorice sounds more like a twisted tale than a plausible fact.

I have a longstanding interest in how chemicals in our food and the environment affect our body and mind. When something seemingly harmless like licorice is implicated in a death, we are reminded of the famous proclamation by Swiss physician Paracelsus, the Father of Toxicology: “All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; the dosage alone makes it so a thing is not a poison.”

I am a professor in the department of pharmacology and toxicology and author of the bookPleased to Meet Me: Genes, Germs, and the Curious Forces That Make Us Who We Are.”

The root of the problem​

The unfortunate man who succumbed to excessive black licorice consumption is not alone. There are a smattering of similar case reports in medical journals, in which patients experience hypertension crisis, muscle breakdown or even death. Adverse reactions are most frequently seen in people over the age of 40 who are eating far more black licorice than the average person. In addition, they are usually consuming the product for prolonged periods of time. In the most recent case, the Massachusetts man had been eating a bag and a half of black licorice every day for three weeks.
I don’t like it no matter what color it is. It’s no far but AlL SUGAR ! I HATE Cotton Candy 🍬

13 Recipes for Hearty, Meal-Worthy Salads​

You don’t need multiple courses to get in a square meal. Some of the greatest, most creative salad recipes are bursting with feel-good, fill-you-up ingredients.​

Your Section-by-Section Guide to Storing Foods in the Fridge, From the Upper Shelves to the Crisper Drawers​

Where you store your food can impact how long it stays fresh and reduce your risk of cross contamination.

Can You Leave Butter on the Counter?​

Soft butter is better for spreading, but can you leave it sitting out all the time? Find out if it's safe to eat butter that's been out of the fridge.​

Oatmeal Is Still the World’s Best Performance Breakfast​

Sure, it’s old fashioned. But it’s also nutritional rocket fuel, and athletes are making it taste great. Here’s how.​

In a world of green juice and chia seed pudding, this age-old dish is the original, and perhaps most powerful, superfood, especially for athletes competing at the highest levels.

“I’ve asked a lot of elite endurance athletes about their breakfast foods, particularly before races, and oatmeal comes up again and again and again,” says Matt Fitzgerald, endurance coach, nutritionist, and author of The Endurance Diet.

You’re most likely to see oatmeal served with a ton of fixin’s, but even a bowl of plain oats holds its own as a nutritional panacea. Oatmeal is a whole grain (unless you buy oat bran—just part of the seed—as opposed to rolled oats) filled with key vitamins and minerals, a low-glycemic carb that provides lasting energy for your workout and helps fuel recovery without causing a sugar crash, and high in fiber to aid your digestive and metabolic systems.

Forum List

Back