Foo Fighters Acoustic

The ClayTaurus

Sep 19, 2005
So I got to see the Foo Fighters last night at DAR Constitution Hall in Washington DC. Frank Black (of The Pixies fame) opened.

I'm not a big Pixies fan, nor have I listened to much of Frank Black's solo material, not necessarily because I don't like it but just because I've never taken the time to get into it much. So, I don't really follow him as an artist and don't really know much about how is live shows are, but from an uneducated opinion he sucked. Not really musically, as the songs appeared to be performed pretty well, save for a few missed chords, but just that his persona sucked. And I don't know if that's just how he is. There were no pauses in between songs. No hellos, no how ya doin's, not even any this song's called's... it was one song into another into another into another without even much pause for acknowledgement applause. I was kind of excited to see him too since he has a pretty cultish following. Maybe that's just how he is. Dunno.

Anyways, I'm not much of a Foo Fighter guy either. Foo Fighters rarely illicit much of a reaction at all out of me. It's well thought out and good general rock music, but it never grabbed me and demanded my attention. But Dave Grohl is crazy talented and the Foo set more than made up for Frank Black's "I wanna get the fuck outta here as soon as possible" performance. 2 hours of a mix of hits and new material, with alternative arrangements and singers and an extended band including Pat Smear on guitar as well as a violinist (who could sing quite well), keyboard/piano/accordian guy, and a random percussion instruments guy who was persuaded into doing the Bruce Springsteen tamborine dance.

It was a fun concert, both for the diehard fan and the casual observer, which I think is what really makes a live performance stand out. The diehards will like it no matter what, but if you can make it stand out to the people who don't know every word by heart, then you've got something.

I'm not sure how many more venues they're playing, but I'd recommend checking it out, fan or not. Good times.

So I got to see the Foo Fighters last night at DAR Constitution Hall in Washington DC. Frank Black (of The Pixies fame) opened.

I'm not a big Pixies fan, nor have I listened to much of Frank Black's solo material, not necessarily because I don't like it but just because I've never taken the time to get into it much. So, I don't really follow him as an artist and don't really know much about how is live shows are, but from an uneducated opinion he sucked. Not really musically, as the songs appeared to be performed pretty well, save for a few missed chords, but just that his persona sucked. And I don't know if that's just how he is. There were no pauses in between songs. No hellos, no how ya doin's, not even any this song's called's... it was one song into another into another into another without even much pause for acknowledgement applause. I was kind of excited to see him too since he has a pretty cultish following. Maybe that's just how he is. Dunno.

Anyways, I'm not much of a Foo Fighter guy either. Foo Fighters rarely illicit much of a reaction at all out of me. It's well thought out and good general rock music, but it never grabbed me and demanded my attention. But Dave Grohl is crazy talented and the Foo set more than made up for Frank Black's "I wanna get the fuck outta here as soon as possible" performance. 2 hours of a mix of hits and new material, with alternative arrangements and singers and an extended band including Pat Smear on guitar as well as a violinist (who could sing quite well), keyboard/piano/accordian guy, and a random percussion instruments guy who was persuaded into doing the Bruce Springsteen tamborine dance.

It was a fun concert, both for the diehard fan and the casual observer, which I think is what really makes a live performance stand out. The diehards will like it no matter what, but if you can make it stand out to the people who don't know every word by heart, then you've got something.

I'm not sure how many more venues they're playing, but I'd recommend checking it out, fan or not. Good times.
I don’t know a thing about them. It's nice to hear they use more than just drums and guitars. My daughter saw Foo last Sept and seemed to like them. Then she went to a Stones concert. She was very impressed with those “Old Guys”. The comment that stands out in my mind is "WOW, those old guys can really rock!"

Sounds cool. You should check out There is Nothing Left to Lose, it's their best album by far. Specifically, "Aurora" is the best song I think Dave Grohl's ever written, though I enjoy "Everlong" better. Did they do "Aurora" acoustic? The chorus goes "Hell yeah, I remember aurora." Ring a bell?

That's too bad to hear about Frank Black. I like the Pixies, but never listened to any of his solo stuff.

Forum List

Back