Folkways-and how cultures impose their ways on others

HaShev

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2009
"Characteristics of the society of folk & how it imposes"-
The zest of the social community somewhat depends on population size and the amount of convenience
born out of the many offered services and amount of entertainment available in that community.
Community life also somewhat revolves around the cultural backround and traditions of these
communities which give those communities it's distinct characteristics.
This structure of behavior that's set by the primary group practice is known as
"Folkways".
(Characteristics of the society of folk).
These folkways seem to determine and set perceptions of what is right from wrong as well as
set standards for moral and ethical code and patterns within it's own tolerance whether rational,
scientific or practicle or not.
A community based on a Christian Primary group might find certain
things intolerable by their set standards but some country in the Middle East built on Islamic
or ancient cultural traditions has built their community on it's own background and thus see's
those things as acceptable behavior.
To understand the issues that the Islamic Nations have with
the Western Culture and in reverse how other Nations have issues with Islam imposing itself on them,
is many times based on different perspectives that those nations and conflicting cultures
do not accept nor understand as fact of life involving folkways.
Therefore they impose their values and traditions on those who have other perspectives and cultural reasons for their behavior.
Just as the secular society and minority religions hate the church forcing it's self appointed
irrational moral and ethical codes within the Politics of their nation so to do Muslims
become frustrated at these same strong armed self appointed judges of society upon their own culture.
It would be more constructive to teach your reasoning for your cultures behavior and policies then to force or expect other cultures to follow suit.

Personally, I find it enlightening. I love to visit the areas of the Appalachians, the coal country of the Kentucky mountain people, the people of the West Virginia mountains for instance. I love their old remedies and faith healing practices. It is a part of our nation's culture I would hate to lose. Because folks are different, is no cause to poke fun and scorn at them. The world is big enough for us all.

That's where I learned a lot about social behavior and cultures, in WV the one's who had nothing, & that you'd call Yokals, were the nicest to you.
They'd give you anything you'd need that they could spare.
The ones in big homes with fancy cars would not only not help you, but they'd be unfriendly & only be suspicious of what you were doing in their region of hell.
Of course never ask what kind of meat is in the stew, don't ask don't tell works best.

I always found the poorest people were the most giving and would literally give you the shirt off their back of course maybe that explains why they are poor materially while the rich are not... Not all fall in this category but it is an interesting observation non the less....

Forum List

Back