Florida to Shipping Companies: Forget California, We’ll Unload Your Ships

Extra 3-4 days sail time vs having your ships sit idle off the California coast for months.
Once again Democrats scare away major businesses.

“Florida is where your success comes in, and our seaports are the solution to ensure the cargo shipping logjam doesn’t become the Grinch that stole Christmas,” said Michael Rubin, President and CEO of the Florida Ports Council. “Why pay to moor off the coast of California, when Florida shipping lanes are open and serving as the gateway for getting goods to America’s market,” Rubin said in a press release.
Why haven't they been doing this all along if it's feasible?

Bring the containers inland a little bit and unload them if you have to. Have them unload at port, and truck them in at night when normal traffic on roads is at a minimum, stage them somewhere and unpack them.

Our entire country is just about all bordering on the ocean, we have so many places they could be unloaded and unpacked there or moved 100 miles inland to be unpacked. There is no logical reason this can't be done.

Honestly I think the government is fucking up the works purely so they can say "ok well the private sector can't handle this and it's effecting the whole country and we're going to create a branch of government for all the countries import and export and we will regulate it and control it for your sake". It's a game to gain control and power.

Bring the containers inland a little bit and unload them if you have to. Have them unload at port, and truck them in at night when normal traffic on roads is at a minimum, stage them somewhere and unpack them.

Our entire country is just about all bordering on the ocean, we have so many places they could be unloaded and unpacked there or moved 100 miles inland to be unpacked. There is no logical reason this can't be done.

Honestly I think the government is fucking up the works purely so they can say "ok well the private sector can't handle this and it's effecting the whole country and we're going to create a branch of government for all the countries import and export and we will regulate it and control it for your sake". It's a game to gain control and power.
The bottleneck is at the ports, 100% caused by government requirements.

The problem here is two-fold:
Equipment shortages. Not enough chassis
Tractors/driver shortages. CA environmental and union regs make it hard for trucking companies to turn a profit.

Cost of business
So, you have no specific knowledge, just your assumption.
I work in the industry. I talk to CA dray companies regularly - daily. Of the score of companies I regularly do buisness with, only three still do buisness at the ports because of the regs. Most of then have stopped handling 20/40/45' boxes completely because of the issues at the ports.

Extra 3-4 days sail time vs having your ships sit idle off the California coast for months.
Once again Democrats scare away major businesses.

“Florida is where your success comes in, and our seaports are the solution to ensure the cargo shipping logjam doesn’t become the Grinch that stole Christmas,” said Michael Rubin, President and CEO of the Florida Ports Council. “Why pay to moor off the coast of California, when Florida shipping lanes are open and serving as the gateway for getting goods to America’s market,” Rubin said in a press release.
They should go right ahead.

If a state, through its laws and regulations, interferes with interstate commerce, the federal government already has the power to deal with it.
In some situations yes, but as a court ruled…not this one.

New Topics

Forum List

Back