Florida Republican retiring from Congress

VaYank5150

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2009
Virginia
Florida Republican retiring from Congress - Politics- msnbc.com

WASHINGTON - Four-term Republican Rep. Ginny Brown-Waite of Florida said in a surprise announcement Friday that she won't seek re-election to Congress, citing health concerns.

Brown-Waite, trying to ensure that a hand-picked successor can replace her, announced her decision just as candidate filing closed in Florida — leaving no time for Democrats to consider fielding a fresh candidate or for any other Republicans who might have considered running.
She simultaneously threw her support behind Hernando County Sheriff Richard Nugent, a Republican who filed to run for the seat just before the noon deadline.

And the GOP bitches about transparency?

WASHINGTON - Four-term Republican Rep. Ginny Brown-Waite of Florida said in a surprise announcement Friday that she won't seek re-election to Congress, citing health concerns.

Brown-Waite, trying to ensure that a hand-picked successor can replace her, announced her decision just as candidate filing closed in Florida — leaving no time for Democrats to consider fielding a fresh candidate or for any other Republicans who might have considered running.
She simultaneously threw her support behind Hernando County Sheriff Richard Nugent, a Republican who filed to run for the seat just before the noon deadline.

How aristocratic of them to choose the nominee on behalf of the voters. I mean we certainly wouldn't want the common people choosing their own nominee. It's not like this is a Representative Republic or anything.

Taz, it happens all the time. A seat-filler is appointed until the election.
Knowing Crist he'll appoint one of his little puke buddies.
maybe when he doesn't get the Senate seat he wants, he'll try for Congress.

How aristocratic of them to choose the nominee on behalf of the voters. I mean we certainly wouldn't want the common people choosing their own nominee. It's not like this is a Representative Republic or anything.

I guess they should be like Mass. and change the laws so it helped the Democrats keep their seat when it looked like a Republican might get that vacant senate seat.

I guess they should be like Mass. and change the laws so it helped the Democrats keep their seat when it looked like a Republican might get that vacant senate seat.

Oopsies. Must have slipped the OP's absent mind

Was good enough for democratics in New Jersey, when they were already past the deadline, to jam Lautenberg in there.

Goose, meet the sauce.

Oopsies. Must have slipped the OP's absent mind

From the USPS web page...

Last year, 3,184 letter carriers were bitten by dogs across the United States. Thanks to aggressive community outreach efforts with the American Veterinary Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and other organizations nationwide, 89 fewer letter carriers were victimized by dog attacks last year.

Maybe Crist will appoint a Dem the way his relations is right now with the Republicans.

Maybe Crist will appoint a Dem the way his relations is right now with the Republicans.
They're closer akin to him, anyway
see: LeMeiux

He won't want to take a lowly Rep job.
He wants Senate, then Prez....
As a Rep he's only one of 500
He can get more attention as a Sen

Who said what the Democrats did in Massachusetts was any better? Certainly not I. Besides, that trick ended up backfiring on them, which was quite deserving.

Anyway, I thought this thread was about Florida.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back