anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
What happened to the good old fixing your tires after a puncture? I got a puncture the other day, went to a tire place, and all they said was that they needed to replace it. Ridiculous. I had to pay 75 euros for it. If the threads of the tire are still good enough, why is repairing the tire not an option any more? Do you understand this whole thing? I don't.

Yeah, I wanted to replace two of mine, and Les Schwab told me they couldn't do that, because of "liability issues" related to alignment. They could only replace all four.

I look forward to the end of the world when the insurance companies and all this ridiculous garbage is swept away and we can live our lives like regular people again.

What happened to the good old fixing your tires after a puncture? I got a puncture the other day, went to a tire place, and all they said was that they needed to replace it. Ridiculous. I had to pay 75 euros for it. If the threads of the tire are still good enough, why is repairing the tire not an option any more? Do you understand this whole thing? I don't.
new tires like a lot of things are one time use items .
the so called spare is a joke.

Because fixing a puncture doesn't make the tire store as much money.
As bear513 said, the tire companies are behind a lot of it, but more likely by threatening to pull their brands from a shop that permits repair.
Alternately, though, only punctures that are within the tread itself can be fixed. If the puncture is in the sidewall, it has to be replaced because it's too flexible of an area for a patch/plug to hold.

I carry around tire plugs and an air tank, for fixing my own flats..Something that is a must living in the country...

Yeah, I wanted to replace two of mine, and Les Schwab told me they couldn't do that, because of "liability issues" related to alignment. They could only replace all four.

I look forward to the end of the world when the insurance companies and all this ridiculous garbage is swept away and we can live our lives like regular people again.
That's bullshit. Go somewhere else next time, kg. Seriously.

I carry around tire plugs and an air tank, for fixing my own flats..Something that is a must living in the country...
back in the days when I rode my bike almost everywhere I did the same .
high end bicycle tires are almost as expensive as car tires.

That's bullshit. Go somewhere else next time, kg. Seriously.
making false statement about other posters is kosher hag's favorite thing.

There are some bicycles worth more than my vehicle..

I had a Italian 51 speed in the 80's that cost more than my first car.

I bought a ten speed in 1976, cost 50 bucks, you could buy a car for that amount then..

I currently ride a Lemond Zurich with Columbus 883 steel tubing, with a Campagnolo Chorus ergo shifter drivetrain, Modolo handlebars, a Selle Italia titanium seat, Mavic Cosmic aero rims, Speedplay clipless pedals, and a carbon fiber fork.

Yeah..................it's probably the most expensive vehicle that I've ever bought, outside of my Harley.

Best thing? I got it in 1997, and it still rides just as good today as it did back when I got it. Hard to believe that next year that bicycle will be 20 years old.

Because fixing a puncture doesn't make the tire store as much money.
As bear513 said, the tire companies are behind a lot of it, but more likely by threatening to pull their brands from a shop that permits repair.
Alternately, though, only punctures that are within the tread itself can be fixed. If the puncture is in the sidewall, it has to be replaced because it's too flexible of an area for a patch/plug to hold.

A tread puncture can be repaired, a sidewall puncture cannot.

You went to the wrong place. Try another tire shop.

I had a tire plugged recently in a matter of minutes.

As stated above, can't be in the sidewall.

If you happen to drive on the flat tire as a slow puncture, before you realize the flat, do you cause sidewall damage? Can that cause the tire to become irreparable?

Harbor Freight sells a very serviceable tire changing tool for around $45. They sell a tire balancer for around $80.

For the price of one new tire you can be set up to repair every flat you have in your entire life. Oh ya..top of the line patches..the kind they used to apply from the inside of the tire cost around a buck a piece when you purchase them a dozen at a time. It is easy to do the job.

Search results for: 'tire changer'

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?keyword=tire+patches

You went to the wrong place. Try another tire shop.

I had a tire plugged recently in a matter of minutes.

As stated above, can't be in the sidewall.

If you're a do it yourselfer, you can actually buy a plug kit for flat tires at your local parts store. They come with what looks like an oversized crochet hook, and some rubber cylinders and glue.

And Gipper is right, you can only repair a tire on the tread, sidewalls cannot be fixed.

Fix a Flat works in some cases if the puncture isn't too big.

And.................if the tire shop you go to says that they won't fix it, go find another. If you find a family owned type shop, chances are better there that they will fix your tire than large tire chains owned by conglomerates.

I bought a ten speed in 1976, cost 50 bucks, you could buy a car for that amount then..
Wasn't a pinto by any chance?

Wasn't a pinto by any chance?
"66 Cadillac..

Forum List

Back