First tropical storm of the season

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Well, we have had the first tropical storm of the season, dozens dead in Central America.

The Hurrican season starts Tuesday.

All you yahoo's that were ballyhooing the predictions will be reminded of your derision as the season wears on.

Well, we have had the first tropical storm of the season, dozens dead in Central America.

All you yahoo's that were ballyhooing the predictions will be reminded of your derision as the season wears on.

PHP:

First system of the eastern Pacific hurricane season, which starts on May 15th every years and normally has at least one storm within May. It's weird that this storm formed as far southeastward as it did, not unlike the first eastern pacific system of 2008, which crossed over to become Arther. But that system was a hurricane and this was only a weak tropical storm, which is moving into 40 knots of shear within the northern Caribbean and Gulf. So no chance of redevelopment in the Atlantic.

No question that this Atlantic season will be active and maybe hyperactive. For one the ENSO is going to la nina, which favors at least 12-15 named storms with a stronger easterly flow around a stronger azores high. Also less westly upper level flow through the MDR and Caribbean, which supports cyclone development instead of all the convection being blown apart as soon as it tries to get going.

We also have the warmest mdr(below 20 north from cape verdes to 60 west) for March, April and very close with 2005 right now. ECMWF shear model calls for lower wind shear and lower pressures throughout the tropics, which favors more activity. Opposite of last year.

This is so because lower pressures in the tropics promote rising air and a increase in convection, while higher pressures promote the opposite. Last year was the opposite and 2006, 2002, 1997, 1992, 1982, 1983, all cases in point.

The caribbean and MDR looks very favorable this season, but the western Atlantic may not be as favorable(My opinon) because of the east coast trough that will be around southeastern Canada and Greenland through the first half of this season. We will see, but it looks more like 1995 and 2004 then 2005, 1933, 2007 to me with storm tracks.

Last edited:

chicken_little_002.jpg

btw, ballyhoo doesn't mean what you think it does. :lol:

Yes the death and destruction are terrible for certain. However, the deaths are caused by landslides and poor building practices. Any good rain storm would have done it. And, had it occured here in the states it probably would have had very little effect depending on where it struck. The problem with central America is it is steep and the people build in dangerous areas so it is no wonder that they have frequent storms that kill dozens or hundreds.

Here is just one from 2009

http://www.spiderednews.com/Central...o.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/americas/8349945.stm So as you can see it is sadly quite common.

And just to put that in perspective here are the numbers of illegal immigrants who have died each year from 2005 to 2009.

— 492 in fiscal year 2005

— 454 in fiscal year 2006

— 398 in fiscal year 2007

— 390 in fiscal year 2008

— 378 in fiscal year 2009-x

And these folks die of exposure in the deserts of the southwest or in car crashes etc. So while all deaths are sad, if you wanted to really drop the toll, either prevent or help the immigrants dying on their journey here and you will save 4 times as many....per year.

Last edited:

Yes the death and destruction are terrible for certain. However, the deaths are caused by landslides and poor building practices. Any good rain storm would have done it. And, had it occured here in the states it probably would have had very little effect depending on where it struck. The problem with central America is it is steep and the people build in dangerous areas so it is no wonder that they have frequent storms that kill dozens or hundreds.

Here is just one from 2009

Central America So as you can see it is sadly quite common.

And just to put that in perspective here are the numbers of illegal immigrants who have died each year from 2005 to 2009.

— 492 in fiscal year 2005

— 454 in fiscal year 2006

— 398 in fiscal year 2007

— 390 in fiscal year 2008

— 378 in fiscal year 2009-x

And these folks die of exposure in the deserts of the southwest or in car crashes etc. So while all deaths are sad, if you wanted to really drop the toll, either prevent or help the immigrants dying on their journey here and you will save 4 times as many....per year.
Stupidest post of the year contender.

Yes, heaven forbid that someone post factual information showing that death and destruction in the third world is a all too common occurence or that we can prevent even more deaths by helping those coming up from our southern border...yep stupid post allright. Wanting to preserve life is certainly a stupid goal...at least if you're a heartless individual like ravi or old fraud.

And yes old fraud I may have walleyes....but at least I have eyes and can see, unlike you blindly following hucksters and criminals.

Last edited:

Sorry, yesterday the wife and I drove the SUV to my sister in laws house in South Jersey.

Again, I'm sorry for destroying the planet

One predicted storm in the can. It hit a place that has almost zero zoning ordinances or infrastructure and people died.

This is the equivalent of falling out of the boat and hitting water. So what? Are you saying this means something? I don't recall anyone saying that there'd be no storms. I have seen mocking of the number of storms is all. When the season ends, we'll know more.

Till then quit fear mongering.

chicken_little_002.jpg

Forum List

Back