First or Second World War ancestor

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
This thread is for the one who as ancestor who contributed to one of the two World wars

814028 Millette, Alber Hull Camp Petawawa during World War.jpg

Family Album

814028 Millette, Albert Hull Camp Petawawa Canada, during World War1

I have a great uncle that died in the Battle of the Bulge. Thus my fixation with the M1 Garand.

Last edited:
America enters world war1

On May 7 1915, the British-owned Lusitania ocean liner was torpedoed without warning just off the coast of Ireland. Of the 1,959 passengers, 1,198 were killed, including 128 Americans.

The German government maintained that the Lusitaniawas carrying munitions, but the U.S. demanded reparations and an end to German attacks on unarmed passenger and merchant ships. In August, Germany pledged to see to the safety of passengers before sinking unarmed vessels, but in November sunk an Italian liner without warning, killing 272 people, including 27 Americans. With these attacks, public opinion in the United States began to turn irrevocably against Germany.

In 1917, Germany, determined to win its war of attrition against the Allies, announced the resumption of unrestricted warfare in war-zone waters. Three days later, the United States broke diplomatic relations with Germany, and just hours after that the American liner Housatonic was sunk by a German U-boat. On February 22, Congress passed a $250 million arms appropriations bill intended to make the United States ready for war. In late March, Germany sunk four more U.S. merchant ships, and on April 2 President Wilson appeared before Congress and called for a declaration of war against Germany. Four days later, his request was granted.

On June 26, the first 14,000 U.S. infantry troops landed in France to begin training for combat.

My grandfather landed on D-day, got shot in the elbow and he could almost turn his forearm around 200 degrees.

My maternal great grandfather served in the Union Army and my dad was a USN captain of of an armed oil tanker in the battle of Okinawa and one of the first Americans on Japanese soil after the surrender.

This thread is for the one who as ancestor who contributed to one of the two World wars

View attachment 96497
Family Album

814028 Millette, Albert Hull Camp Petawawa Canada, during World War1
Grandpa was stationed with a balloon battalion in Waco Texas during WWI. And Dad served in Hawaii, during the Korean War riding a desk.

I was born in 1964, and went from 18 in 1982, to 28 in 1992, so my military age didn't have any real conflicts, and in the roaring 80's "me generation" times, and most of the people going into the service were my screwed up friends who got in trouble with the law

Thank you, i go in Normandie and i know about all the beach that the Américans came to liberate France.

American War Cemetery of colleville-mer

http://normandy.memorial-caen.com/o...d/the-american-war-cemetery-of-colleville-mer

Funny you bring this up I am planing to go there next September.

I just want to see it in person before I die, a huge WWIII history buff.

Did WW III end? I missed it!

Since you put it that way yea Regan ended it with out firing a shot.

Thank you, i go in Normandie and i know about all the beach that the Américans came to liberate France.

American War Cemetery of colleville-mer

http://normandy.memorial-caen.com/o...d/the-american-war-cemetery-of-colleville-mer

Funny you bring this up I am planing to go there next September.

I just want to see it in person before I die, a huge WWIII history buff.

There is 9 387 graves at Colleville-sur-Mer.

Brigadier Général Théodore Roosevelt Junior - O-139726.

He died of a heart attack July 12, 1944, in Normandy

theodore-roosevelt-jr.seul-general-avec-la-premiere-vague_5.jpg

Theodore Roosevelt Jr. is buried in the military cemetery of Colleville-sur-Mer. It rests near her brother, killed in the First World War.

My uncle, Frank Gallagher earned the nickname "bumpy" after he was drafted, sent to Europe and returned home with a blown up grotesque twisted leg all within six months.

Both of my Grandfathers served during WWII. My mothers father was a lifer he also served during the Korean and Vietnam wars.

Father served in the Pacific, and mom was a WAC. Grandfather was a infantryman in WWI but the war ended before he got "over there".

I have a great uncle that died in the Battle of the Bulge. Thus my fixation with the M1 Garand.
You must mean the clangs that the M1-G made when it ran out of ammo.

Badly designed gun except for the bolt -- the bold design was excellent.

The subsequent M1-Carbine and M-14 and the modern Ruger Mini 14 improved upon the design greatly while retaining the M-1 bolt.

I love my Ruger Mini 14. It is my first line of defense against AK's and AR's.

Father served in the Pacific, and mom was a WAC. Grandfather was a infantryman in WWI but the war ended before he got "over there".
For me, my Uncle served in the Pacific and my Dad in Europe, both in WW2.

Lucky thing for your grandpa about WW1. We have photos of my grandpa all decked out in a heavy trench coat and boots with a really long rifle and bayonet. He was lucky to survive WW1 without a scratch even though an infantryman.

Forum List

Back