First Ammendment Elasticity

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
A guy ran into a whole bunch of problems with the Atkins diet, following it as written. The book makes all kinds of claims and the authors have appropriate credentials. However, a lawsuit brought by a man who is now suffering heart problems that can be directly attributed to this book has had his case dismissed because, apparantly, freedom of speech means you can say whatever you want about what certain foods do, and as long as you don't also sell those foods, it's not fraud.

Also, I'd like to take this time to announce the all bacon cheeseburger diet. I'll write you up a plan on how to drop your weight, lower your cholesterol, and feel great for just $19.95!

http://wcbstv.com/watercooler/local_story_345172809.html

A guy ran into a whole bunch of problems with the Atkins diet, following it as written. The book makes all kinds of claims and the authors have appropriate credentials. However, a lawsuit brought by a man who is now suffering heart problems that can be directly attributed to this book has had his case dismissed because, apparantly, freedom of speech means you can say whatever you want about what certain foods do, and as long as you don't also sell those foods, it's not fraud.

Also, I'd like to take this time to announce the all bacon cheeseburger diet. I'll write you up a plan on how to drop your weight, lower your cholesterol, and feel great for just $19.95!

http://wcbstv.com/watercooler/local_story_345172809.html

Personal Injury Lawyers----Americas' favorite safety net.

Look for required disclaimers in a few years for virtually any non-fiction book.

Fer Instance:

For How To Books: The author of this book makes no claim that anything presented in this book is true. Building these projects is done solely at the readers risk. Neither the publisher nor author assumes any responsibility for any accidents due to non-factual information presented herein. This lack of responsibility includes but is not limited to injuries sustained by using power tools, electrocution, spontaneous combustion, falling while reading book on roof during high winds while aiming a satellite dish, drowning while reading book on back under the kitchen sink when the homemade compressed air plunger explodes, injuries caused by overloaded circuit breakers, falling garage doors, coma caused by breathing masonry dust while using the homemade t-shirt dust filter on page B111 sec 3 para 55A, and any lacerations or contusions arising from using the homemade ultrasonic dog training whistle featured in chapter six.

One major problem w/ the lawsuit - the Atkins Diet works - and works VERY VERY VERY well, when people follow the path, and are healthy enough for a diet :)

One major problem w/ the lawsuit - the Atkins Diet works - and works VERY VERY VERY well, when people follow the path, and are healthy enough for a diet :)

My wife swears by atkins, my wife also swore at atkins. This is a diet that requires a lot of discipline. But heart issues? First I heard of em.

I still bet on the disclaimers in the near future.

My wife swears by atkins, my wife also swore at atkins. This is a diet that requires a lot of discipline. But heart issues? First I heard of em.

I still bet on the disclaimers in the near future.

Known women that say the same...

As far as heart problems on this diet, it's been an issue for a long time.

Known women that say the same...

As far as heart problems on this diet, it's been an issue for a long time.

I am a lean, mean, calorie killin machine. My problem is I can not only eat like a horse, I could eat the horse. I still fit in my old uniforms.

Now if I could just grow hair......

I am a lean, mean, calorie killin machine. My problem is I can not only eat like a horse, I could eat the horse. I still fit in my old uniforms.

Now if I could just grow hair......

Same here, Peg. Man it pisses women off I can eat whatever I want, as much as I want, and never gain a lb...

Same here, Peg. Man it pisses women off I can eat whatever I want, as much as I want, and never gain a lb...

Yup

food-smiley-007.gif

Forum List

Back