Finally, "The Little Mermaid", who is now black... Is in theaters!

I don't intend to see this movie. Not because I have an issue with a black actress playing the part of a fish, a huge insult to the fish community, but because I don't, as a matter of principle, go see remakes of good movies. No matter what they change.

But... I just found out that Halle Barry is playing the part of a teenage mermaid.

Isn't she like 90 years old? Are there so few Black actresses in Hollywood that Disney had to empty out a nursing home to find one?

I don't intend to see this movie. Not because I have an issue with a black actress playing the part of a fish, a huge insult to the fish community, but because I don't, as a matter of principle, go see remakes of good movies. No matter what they change.

But... I just found out that Halle Barry is playing the part of a teenage mermaid.

Isn't she like 90 years old? Are there so few Black actresses in Hollywood that Disney had to empty out a nursing home to find one?

LOL

This is who you think played Ariel...??

halle-berry-opener-ftr.jpg

You think Halle Berry looks like this...??

The-Little-Mermaid-01-052623-7d547bf24f7f4b83b83f4a4ff14dd725.jpg

LOL

This is who you think played Ariel...??

halle-berry-opener-ftr.jpg

You think Halle Berry looks like this...??

The-Little-Mermaid-01-052623-7d547bf24f7f4b83b83f4a4ff14dd725.jpg
She kinda pulls the fish look off... If she was playing the role of a hammer head shark, she'd have nailed it.

The verdict is in. Little Mermaid a box office failure. The diversity officer behind the disaster has been fired.
The opening weekend was great. Then all the little black girls had seen it.

What happened was just what everyone said would happen.

I actually do not blame "diversity" at all, but that likely had an impact.

Most of their remakes other than a couple have actually done fairly poorly. They worked great early on as they were cheap and could be easily made. But then they started to put "big budgets" onto them, and there is simply not an interest for enough people to see them to ever recoup that kind of money. Their early Live Action remakes were amazingly low budget affairs, mostly made and marketed with budgets of only $100 million or so. So it was not all that hard to recoup the investment on those.

But in the last decade, it seems that "Hollywood" has simply forgotten how to make a "simple movie". The entire industry now seems to be on $200 million dollar plus movies that will make a billion dollars. And they throw so damned many computer effects into it that they should not even bother with actors anymore because you can't see them through all the explosions and other nonsense. And with hyper-inflated budgets like that it is simply harder to recoup your investment.

I could not care if the Mermaid was white, black, pink, or plaid. The insane budget for the movie combined with the marketing almost made it a guarantee it would fail.

Meanwhile, there was a lot of talk earlier over a movie from Finland that cost less than $7 million and making over $12 million at the box office. That is almost a 2 to 1 profit margin, something Mermaid would have had to rake in over a billion to match. Which was a wiser use of the money?

And compare it to a movie released a week later, also with a black main character. The newest installment of Spider-verse in the end spanked The Little Mermaid, and with a total budget of about half of what Mermaid cost to produce. It earned a profit well in excess of 4 to 1 on investment. Meanwhile, Mermaid only barely made it's budget back. So once again, which was the wiser use of the money?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back