Finally, a Libertarian Utopia!

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
Thiel has been a big backer of the Seasteading Institute, which seeks to build sovereign nations on oil rig-like platforms to occupy waters beyond the reach of law-of-the-sea treaties. The idea is for these countries to start from scratch--free from the laws, regulations, and moral codes of any existing place. Details says the experiment would be "a kind of floating petri dish for implementing policies that libertarians, stymied by indifference at the voting booths, have been unable to advance: no welfare, looser building codes, no minimum wage, and few restrictions on weapons."

Silicon Valley billionaire funding creation of artificial libertarian islands | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

I invite all of USMB's libertoids to flee to the islands.

Thiel has been a big backer of the Seasteading Institute, which seeks to build sovereign nations on oil rig-like platforms to occupy waters beyond the reach of law-of-the-sea treaties. The idea is for these countries to start from scratch--free from the laws, regulations, and moral codes of any existing place. Details says the experiment would be "a kind of floating petri dish for implementing policies that libertarians, stymied by indifference at the voting booths, have been unable to advance: no welfare, looser building codes, no minimum wage, and few restrictions on weapons."

Silicon Valley billionaire funding creation of artificial libertarian islands | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

I read this the other day, and was wondering if anyone was going to post a thread about it. It sounds to me as if this is a way to legally circumvent some of the laws and regulations of the US. Hell, four more years of Obama and I'm sure people will be swimming out in droves to Libertarian Island.

I love the idea.

It will prove just how well the "Magic" market works in real life.

Although this has aready been proven in history it will be much harder to deny when it fails with this little experiment.

Today at Yahoo I read of a Silicon Valley billionaire funding creation of artificial libertarian islands. Jaded curmudgeons such as myself have witnessed numerous of these projects over the past four decades to create an off-shore Galt's Gulch fantasy (See Jim Hougan, Spooks, and Jerome Tuccille, Who's Afraid of 1984? and Here Comes Immortality). Recognizing that it is their money and vision, I would be the last person to criticize or discourage such efforts. But like a sober and more mature Dorothy upon returning from Oz, I also recognize that the real battle for the future of liberty and the survival of the values of Western civilization is right here in our own backyard, fighting for the triumph of the Ron Paul Revolution against the evil empire and its mendacious media whores and sycophants. Realpolitik trumps utopia every time.

Yet Another Libertarian Utopia? « LewRockwell.com Blog

No thanks.

Eh... It will be a failed experiment. Can't grow Crops on a oil rig. so they are going to have to trade with some mainland for food, fuel for their generators, etc.

I doubt the international community would let this happen. Sooner or later, they would require them to have a flag and belong to a nation.

Eh... It will be a failed experiment. Can't grow Crops on a oil rig. so they are going to have to trade with some mainland for food, fuel for their generators, etc.
Aw, come on! A floating island with no regulations or codes? The first hurricane or earthquake would destroy them.

:lol:

I am currently in the process of recruiting pirates, brigands, former Marines, Army Rangers, and other badasses for a little "hostile takeover" if this thing ever gets established. I hope they invest in some security, and I hope they are better shots than my crew.

Of course, they shouldn't rely on the U.S. to bail them out once we start tossing people into the ocean.

The nice thing about this? International waters and within the borders of another "sovereign" nation. Good luck prosecuting me!

No one said that a "libertarian paradise" would be self-supporting. Last time I checked, Libertarians were big on trade.

Additionally, you do not have all your facts correct. You can grow crops on an "oil rig". It really not hard to build a state of an art greenhouse on a large ship if you have the capital.

No one said that a "libertarian paradise" would be self-supporting. Last time I checked, Libertarians were big on trade.

Additionally, you do not have all your facts correct. You can grow crops on an "oil rig". It really not hard to build a state of an art greenhouse on a large ship if you have the capital.

Really? What is going to be their chief export? A smug sense of superiority?

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out.

That said, i'm getting more hopeful we might be able to stick around and hang with you all. We'll see how the Supreme Court tilts on the mandate thing. I think that's going to be real bellwether on the future of freedom in the US.

I am currently in the process of recruiting pirates, brigands, former Marines, Army Rangers, and other badasses for a little "hostile takeover" if this thing ever gets established. I hope they invest in some security, and I hope they are better shots than my crew.

Of course, they shouldn't rely on the U.S. to bail them out once we start tossing people into the ocean.

The nice thing about this? International waters and within the borders of another "sovereign" nation. Good luck prosecuting me!

Why would you do that?

New Topics

Forum List

Back