Film Review: Frequencies

phoenyx

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2016
Canada
I recently saw the film "Frequencies", which can be seen on Netflix Canada and possibly in other Netflix jurisdictions. Like many people, I tend to look up film reviews on google before I see them. I'm happy with the one I read before seeing it:
Frequencies Makes Smart Sci-Fi From What Thrums in the Young

That being said, I think that while it is certainly very technically accurate, I believe it fails to capture a lot of the issues that I felt a second review that I found -after- I saw the filme. I'll quote the passage that I felt was the most relevant in this second review:
**The film touches on a lot of themes - class inequality, determinism and free will... This is a story of a boy who's told again and again that he can't be who he wants to be, can't do what he wants to do, can't love who he wants to love - and he devotes himself, body, mind and soul, to the pursuit of dissolving those barriers.**
Source: FREQUENCIES Review: A Sci-Fi Movie That Favors Ideas Over Effects

I'd argue that the girl in the film pretty much does the same thing.

Finally, one last review: The Hollywood Reporter wrote that "the picture works solely with its ideas, producing a tale with some of the flavor (if not the political heft) of a 1984 or Brave New World", and I'm inclined to agree.

Here's the trailer to the film:

Forum List

Back