Fighting Telemarketers

and others who destroy our peace and quiet over and over again:

Best Ways to Turn the Tables on Telemarketers - ABC News

I prefer the technique described on page two, keep them on the line and waste their time. Make them hang up on you.

You're a loser! I started my career back in 2000 as a telemarketer. It was a tough gig, but back then that is all I could find. The VAST majority of telemarketers are legit and selling legit items people might like.

The most effective way to get rid of telemarketing calls is to sign up on the DNC. 99% of telemarketers will follow it religiously and your article makes a HUGE flaw in journalism. Most telemarketers are stateside and the FTC can hit callers who are overseas! But don't let sloppy journalism get in your way.

Many of the legit telemarketers 'trick' you into signing up. Ever fill out those sweepstake sheets at a concert or sporting event? You are signing up to get telemarketing calls and email solicitation. That is why in many cases they give you items. When the telemarketer calls, just politely say "no thank you and take me off your list." If they call again. Ask for the person's name and their company and say ,"Joe (use their name), I requested to be taken off your list before, please honor this or I will report you to the FTC." I guarantee that tactic works.

I don't love telemarketing calls, but I respect the people on the other line. It's a tough tough gig and usually not for a lot of money! I hate elitist like you that spit on the common man, because you believe yourself to be so much better.

Last edited:
  • Banned
and others who destroy our peace and quiet over and over again:

Best Ways to Turn the Tables on Telemarketers - ABC News

I prefer the technique described on page two, keep them on the line and waste their time. Make them hang up on you.

Your a loser! (it's You're, moron) I started my career back in 2000 as a telemarketer. It was a tough gig, but back then that is all I could find. The VAST majority of telemarketers are legit and selling legit items people might like.

The most effective way to get rid of telemarketing calls is to sign up on the DNC. 99% of telemarketers will follow it religiously and your article makes a HUGE flaw in journalism. Most telemarketers are stateside and the FTC can hit callers who are overseas! But don't let sloppy journalism get in your way.

Do not call has no teeth, it's total bullshit and a waste if time.

Many if the legit telemarketers 'trick' you into signing up. Ever fill out those sweepstake sheets at a concert or sporting event? You are signing up to get telemarketing calls and email solicitation. That is why in many cases they give you items. When the telemarketer calls, just politely say "no thank you and take me off your list." If they call again. Ask for the person's name and their company and say ,"Joe (use their name), I requested to be taken off your list before, please honor this or I will report you to the FTC."

I don't love telemarketing calls, but I respect the people on the other line. It's a tough tough gig and usually not for a lot of money! I hate elitist like you that spit on the common man, because you believe yourself to be so much better.

I'm so sorry you hate me, I must go to my corner and cry. Now, I'm all better. Phew.

I have a son who has a real job and needs to hit the rack by 6 PM to be at work at 0300. The dinner hour is prime time for both legitimate (LOL) and other solicitors, many are simply computers used for some nefarious reason - I suspect as means to hack computers.

one example, some asshole calls repeatedly - at least his computer does - to advertise cleaning our carpets. I pushed one several times and told the asshole who answered we have no carpets we have hardwood floors. They keep calling back. Fuck them, now I waste their time and as they become frustrated I laugh and wish them a happy day. I love the idea to have them wait while I look for a pen, paper or to let the dog out.

Last edited:
I solved this problem decades ago.....it's called an "answering machine".

These days it's even easier - just sign up for a free "google voice" number and set it to "Do not disturb".

Derp!

We do get calls from telemarketers, and I will listen to them to see what they have to offer. If it's an item or service that I can use, and the price is right, I will sign up. However, if they are unfortunate enough to call during dinnertime, I will politely tell them that we are having dinner, and please not to call back. I can tolerate many things, but not anyone interfering with my eating.

The telemarketing calls I get are usually from companies selling diabetes testing supplies who urge me to accept the "free" products even if I don't need them because they are "FREEEEEEE". Sometimes from companies telling me I won a free trip because I entered a contest or someone entered the contest for me.

• Banned
We get an inordinate amount of calls from computers (?) which leave a number on "missed calls" but no message. When we check the number on google, we find that many others have received similar calls. What's that about? I can only assume it is an effort to hack computers. What else might that be?

I get lots of calls from telemarketers. The calls still come even with being on the "do not call" list. I usually give them just enough time on the phone to find out they are a telemarketer and then I simply hang up. Telemarketers are a royal pain in the ass.

I get lots of calls from telemarketers. The calls still come even with being on the "do not call" list. I usually give them just enough time on the phone to find out they are a telemarketer and then I simply hang up. Telemarketers are a royal pain in the ass.

Do you fill out a lot of sweepstakes? Enter a lot of contests? Etc. That could be the issue.

We get an inordinate amount of calls from computers (?) which leave a number on "missed calls" but no message. When we check the number on google, we find that many others have received similar calls. What's that about? I can only assume it is an effort to hack computers. What else might that be?

More than likely it's a "predictive dialing system".

A predictive dialer dials a list of telephone numbers and connects answered dials to people making calls, often referred to as agents. Predictive dialers use statistical algorithms to minimize the time that agents spend waiting between conversations, while minimizing the occurrence of someone answering when no agent is available.[1]

When dialing numbers one at a time, there are two sources of delay. First, only some fraction of dials are answered. So, for example, if 1 out of 3 dials are answered, a predictive dialer might dial 3 lines every time an agent becomes available. Second, even dials that are answered take some time before being picked up. If it typically takes 10 seconds for someone to pick up, and conversations typically last 90 seconds, a predictive dialer might start dialing at 80 seconds.[1]

Dialing one number at a time, only when an agent is available, typically keeps agents utilized for 40 minutes per hour (33% idle time). Predictive dialing can increase utilization to 57 minutes per hour (5% idle time).[1]

Predictive dialers may be standalone hardware devices, or they may be integrated in software with call center or contact center platforms. When integrated, the dialer often also performs less aggressive dialing modes, such as power, progressive, or preview dialing

Forum List

Back