Female Palestinian cartoonist threatened after critique of Islamic Jihad, Hamas

aris2chat

Gold Member
Feb 17, 2012
Female Palestinian cartoonist threatened after critique of Islamic Jihad, Hamas
By KHALED ABU TOAMEH
01/23/2014 21:27

Controversial illustration refers to group whose members are believed to have been behind recent rocket attacks on Israel.
islamic jihad cartoon
ShowImage.ashx

Cartoon suggesting Hamas needs to rein in Islamic Jihad military wing Al-Quds Batallions.

Palestinian cartoonist has come under fire because she published a cartoon that enraged Hamas and Islamic Jihad.

The controversial cartoon refers to Hamas efforts to rein in Islamic Jihad’s military wing, Al-Quds Battalions, whose members are believed to have been behind recent rocket and mortar attacks from the Gaza Strip.

The cartoon by Majedah Shaheen depicts Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh asking his dog to “calm down.” The dog represents the Al-Quds Battalions.

Following strong condemnations and threats, Shaheen published an apology on her Facebook account.

“I wish to apologize for the cartoon I published about Hamas and the Al-Quds Battalions,” she wrote. “My intention was to relay a message in a clear and firm manner. But there are many who prefer to deal with the issue in an artificial manner instead of making an attempt to understand the idea behind it.”

The apology has failed to calm many Palestinians, who posted abusive comments against her on Facebook, denouncing her has a “Zionist agent,” “traitor” and “prostitute.”

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back