Felicity Huffman Agrees To Plead Guilty In College Admissions Scandal

Blavity

Rookie
Mar 28, 2019
Felicity Huffman Agrees To Plead Guilty In College Admissions Scandal, Apologizes To Students Who Honestly Earn Admission To College

The "Desperate Housewives" actress and 50 others were nabbed in the biggest college admissions scam ever.

Felicity Huffman has agreed to plead guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud in a bombshell college admissions case. Huffman was among 13 others who pleaded guilty Monday, while actress Lori Loughlin and her husband were not on the list of those who negotiated with the Justice Department.

Read the complete news at: blavity

So they are going to go after the parents trying to help their kids instead of the corrupt universities? That's messed up.
That was not "helping" their kid. It was "enabling" them. As it was probably done all their lives.

As for the universities, they are taking action with those that accepted the bribes.

So they are going to go after the parents trying to help their kids instead of the corrupt universities? That's messed up.

I hope they go after the parents, but how much do you want to guess none of them see jail time.

I agree with you. Close every university involved. Make everyone suffer. I don't give a fuck. The integrity of academia is completely gone.

This is a huge nothing burger

When has college admission ever been a meritocracy?

ANSWER: Never

Wow?

giphy.gif

If the University is not aware that the credentials are fake, how can you prove any wrong doing?

It is sort of like illegal aliens. If businesses are unaware that they are being presented with fake documentation, how can the establishment prosecute businesses for hiring law breaking illegal aliens?

I am with you, 100%. If we can prove that these institutions are AWARE of fraud? Of course they should prosecute. If they know that these coaches are aware that these kids are not athletes? I'm with you.

But I don't think the Universities themselves are aware.

. . . as far as "helping," their kids? This doesn't help anyone.

I agree with you. Close every university involved. Make everyone suffer. I don't give a fuck. The integrity of academia is completely gone.

That is just stupid. In most of the universities involved it was just one or two people that were implicated, most of them were coaches that abused their positions and gamed the system.

Wow?

giphy.gif

If the University is not aware that the credentials are fake, how can you prove any wrong doing?

It is sort of like illegal aliens. If businesses are unaware that they are being presented with fake documentation, how can the establishment prosecute businesses for hiring law breaking illegal aliens?

I am with you, 100%. If we can prove that these institutions are AWARE of fraud? Of course they should prosecute. If they know that these coaches are aware that these kids are not athletes? I'm with you.

There is no question the coaches knew, they were designated students as "potential recruits" in sports they had never been involved in.

That is just stupid. In most of the universities involved it was just one or two people that were implicated, most of them were coaches that abused their positions and gamed the system.
yea, it's like blowing up the US cause one city sucks.

How can the universities NOT be aware? Of course they know what is happening but find it profitable to turn a blind eye.

Sure, parents like this Huffman broad should have shown the moral standing that Mr. Burns did when he was looking to get his son into Yale- but not everyone has the same high standards.

Wow?

giphy.gif

There is no question the coaches knew, they were designated students as "potential recruits" in sports they had never been involved in.
Yeah, I agree with that. That is why I don't understand why they are not being brought low.

Seems like a double standard, and some folks are being protected. :eusa_think:

Well, here are my thoughts:

Jail time is inappropriate for Ms. Huffman. Having someone take an SAT so your kid can get into college is wrong and shameful but I really doubt that the Huffman child’s being there caused another kid to be turned away at these large universities. Now, if the SAT score afforded the Huffman child a scholarship that the other kid may have not been able to get because it had been awarded previously or had been awarded on a competitive basis, that is a different kettle of fish all together.

As for the athletic scholarship students, this is pretty serious. The NCAA has some limits on how many students can get scholarships and compete.

Getting admitted to USC doesn’t mean someone else was denied a spot. Getting put on the USC Gymnastics team as a scholarship athlete may mean that another gymnast was denied a spot on the team.

I hope they go after the parents, but how much do you want to guess none of them see jail time.
They should. If other parents see them spending months in jail and fined 10 times the bribe, others just may tell their kids, if you want to get into a good school, STUDY!!

As for their parents, court ordered counseling to examine their parenting styles and their own "boasting rights vs. integrity."

Wow?

giphy.gif

Yeah, I agree with that. That is why I don't understand why they are not being brought low.

Seems like a double standard, and some folks are being protected. :eusa_think:
The coaches should be fired as soon as it is shown they accepted money for themselves or their departments from bribes.

That was not "helping" their kid. It was "enabling" them. As it was probably done all their lives.

As for the universities, they are taking action with those that accepted the bribes.

Okay, let's look at that.

A really rich person buys a university a library annex, and he gets his worthless kid in... but someone who bribes a coach for a sport no one watches or cares about and this is a big scandal? Really?

Not sure what motivates these parents, probably just the bragging rights of saying, "My Kids got into Harvard" because Harvard is a brand name. Eventually, we are all going to realize that college is kind of a lot of bullshit and this very expensive scam will be over. One can only hope

I think your comparison is self-defeating. The university really didn't know the Yuppie Spawn wasn't on the rowing team? That's even less credible than claiming that you had no idea that Paco wasn't really John Burke when he presented his fake ID Card.

Naw, we just need to start special ones for Right Wingers where they have to learn science and stuff.

Why should they. Jail should be for people who commit violence. Jails should be there to protect us from the rest of them. I can despise Felicity Huffman, but I don't need to be protected from her with armed guards at $90,000 a year.

I should also note that Felicity Huffman and Lori Laughlin are getting ALL the attention because they are C-List actors... but the really rich people who did far worse are not having their names dragged through the mud.

They should. If other parents see them spending months in jail and fined 10 times the bribe, others just may tell their kids, if you want to get into a good school, STUDY!!

As for their parents, court ordered counseling to examine their parenting styles and their own "boasting rights vs. integrity."

Okay, but here's the thing... what about the parents who are affluent enough to do "legal" things to get their kid an edge? Study coaches, private prep schools, and so on. It seems that you are just fine with a system that favors the rich, until it crosses a certain line.

George W. Bush went to Yale and Harvard, but no one really thinks he is smart. How did this happen?

Um, no, I don't think the courts can cure being an insufferable narcissist. Just ask Trump.

Forum List

Back