Feingold calls on Bush to stop using phrase 'Islamic facists'

JeffWartman

Jul 13, 2006
Suburban Chicago
Feingold calls on Bush to stop using phrase 'Islamic facists'
FREDERIC J. FROMMER
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Sen. Russ Feingold urged President Bush on Tuesday to refrain from using the phrase "Islamic fascists," saying it was offensive to Muslims and has nothing to do with global terrorists fighting the United States.

"We must avoid using misleading and offensive terms that link Islam with those who subvert this great religion or who distort its teachings to justify terrorist activities," Feingold, D-Wis., said in a speech to the Arab American Institute on Capitol Hill.

"I call on the president to stop using the phrase 'Islamic fascists,' a label that doesn't make any sense, and certainly doesn't help our effort to fight terrorism," added Feingold, a potential presidential candidate. "Fascist ideology doesn't have anything to do with the way global terrorist networks think or operate, and it doesn't have anything to do with the overwhelming majority of Muslims around the world who practice the peaceful teachings of Islam."

The White House referred to comments made last week by homeland security adviser Fran Townsend, who said at a news conference: "What the President was trying to capture was this idea of using violence to achieve ideological ends - and that's wrong. Regardless of what label you pin on it, it is this form of radical extremism that really wants to deny people freedom and impose a totalitarian vision of society on everyone, that we object to."

Feingold is absolutely wrong on this. I don't think we need to be blaming all Muslims for terrorism, because many Muslims are peaceful people. However, the terrorists THEMSELVES use Islam for the reason of why they use violence. Therefore, I don't think the Islamic Fascism phrase is wrong, in fact I like it, strickly because it differentiates between "Muslims" and "Islamic fascists".

There can be Islamic fascists just like their could be Christian fascists. Feingold is wrong as usual.

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
I generally like Feingold more than I like Bush, but Russ, they are Islamic and they are Fascists! I'm glad Bush stopped with this "religion of peace" drivel.

And fiengold... heeeeeerrreess your picture...

yikesxk8.jpg

I don't think we need to be blaming all Muslims for terrorism, because many Muslims are peaceful people.

Who should we blame? There are many peaceful Muslims. Hwever they practice a violent religion. Jihad, the killing of infidels, and the systematic control of women are just a few of the teachings of the Qur'an. Many of the Japanese were peaceful as well, yet we still dropped the big one on them. Twice.

Who should we blame? There are many peaceful Muslims. Hwever they practice a violent religion. Jihad, the killing of infidels, and the systematic control of women are just a few of the teachings of the Qur'an.

You are being slightly misleading.

For centuries, Christanity was violent and killed those whom they saw as non-believers.

The facts are this:
The Qur'an has violent passages
The Christian bible and the Jewish torah has violent passages

The Qur'an also preaches compassion
The bible and torah also preach compassion.

Bin Laden and the Islamic fascists twist the real meaning to the Qur'an to fit their terrorist agenda and brainwash people.

Let's blame and seek out terrorists, not blaming Islam itself.

You are being slightly misleading.

For centuries, Christanity was violent and killed those whom they saw as non-believers.

The facts are this:
The Qur'an has violent passages
The Christian bible and the Jewish torah has violent passages

The Qur'an also preaches compassion
The bible and torah also preach compassion.

Bin Laden and the Islamic fascists twist the real meaning to the Qur'an to fit their terrorist agenda and brainwash people.

Let's blame and seek out terrorists, not blaming Islam itself.

During the times that Christianity was violent the entire Islamic faith rose up and defended itself. Are we not allowed the same right? There is plenty of evidence out there that point to Islam as the problem. Osama Bin Laden is not the proponent of terrorism. It is the Muslim clergy that preaches the killing of infidels. Do you have any idea how many clergy should be arrested in Baghdad? They of course cannot be arrested, because it would infringe on their religious rights.

During the times that Christianity was violent the entire Islamic faith rose up and defended itself. Are we not allowed the same right? There is plenty of evidence out there that point to Islam as the problem. Osama Bin Laden is not the proponent of terrorism. It is the Muslim clergy that preaches the killing of infidels. Do you have any idea how many clergy should be arrested in Baghdad? They of course cannot be arrested, because it would infringe on their religious rights.

Comparing radical Islamic clergy in the middle east to the more moderate ones in the middle east and in the west is absolutely absurb.

You are advocating holy war, and thats the quickest way to lose this conflict. This needs to be about freedom vs. terrorism, which much of the world can fathom, and less about Christian vs. Islam. We will lose any credibility we have left.

Comparing radical Islamic clergy in the middle east to the more moderate ones in the middle east and in the west is absolutely absurb.

You are advocating holy war, and thats the quickest way to lose this conflict. This needs to be about freedom vs. terrorism, which much of the world can fathom, and less about Christian vs. Islam. We will lose any credibility we have left.

I'm not advocating Christian vs. Islam. I am advocating the United States vs. the root of terrorism. Freedom vs. Terrorism? That is like saying Coke-a-Cola vs. Snickers. The two are not really related. Converting the Middle East to democratic states isn't the solution. Letting the peaceful Muslims know that advocating terrorism will not be tolerated seems like a better solution. Personally, I have no problem with Islam. Like Christianity, it is full of individuals that expoit it for personal means. I simply feel that the Imams in the mosques have more to do with IEDs and anti-infidel feelings more than the governments of Muslim nations do.

I'm not advocating Christian vs. Islam. I am advocating the United States vs. the root of terrorism.

Glad to hear it.

Freedom vs. Terrorism? That is like saying Coke-a-Cola vs. Snickers. The two are not really related.

Perhaps what I said came out wrong, that's not exactly what I was saying. I'm trying to move the dicotomy from real religion and to real solution.

Converting the Middle East to democratic states isn't the solution.

Can I assume then you didn't support the President's decision to invade Iraq?

Letting the peaceful Muslims know that advocating terrorism will not be tolerated seems like a better solution.

I absolutely, 100% agree with you

Personally, I have no problem with Islam. Like Christianity, it is full of individuals that expoit it for personal means. I simply feel that the Imams in the mosques have more to do with IEDs and anti-infidel feelings more than the governments of Muslim nations do.

I don't disagree with anything you have said. It seems we're not that far apart ideologically. I just disagreed with you're assertion that Islam, philosophically, is the reason for terrorism.

Can I assume then you didn't support the President's decision to invade Iraq?

I don't disagree with anything you have said. It seems we're not that far apart ideologically. I just disagreed with you're assertion that Islam, philosophically, is the reason for terrorism.

I actually did agree with the decision to invade Iraq. I'm suspect on the way the conflict has been handled, but It doesn't change the fact that Saddam had to go.

I agree that Islam is the philosophical reason for terrorism. I do believe that it is the realistic reason for it.

I agree that Islam is the philosophical reason for terrorism. I do believe that it is the realistic reason for it.

A twisted reading of Islam is, without a doubt, the philosophical reason for terrorism.

However, many portions of the Qur'an preach peace and compassion. The terrorists twist the Qur'an and leave these portions out to fulfil their own sick agenda. They use Islam for terror, but it's not a true reading of the Qur'an.

New Topics

Forum List

Back