Federal Judges says georgia must provide free cell phone service for the poor

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
The court says free phones are "in the public interest". That's for legislators to decide, not judges. This is yet another crooked judge who took a bribe.

U.S. judge halts cell phone service fee for the poor in Georgia | Reuters

Dec 18, 2013 11:59am EST

(Reuters) - A federal judge has blocked Georgia's plan to charge low-income residents $5 per month for cell phone service that currently is provided free of charge.

The fee was set to take effect on January 31 and would have made Georgia the only U.S. state to charge for the federally subsidized phone service.

"The public interest tilts in favor of providing telephone services to low-income households that otherwise would be unable to afford mobile phones," U.S. District Court Judge Richard Story wrote on Tuesday in a temporary injunction that stops the new fee while a court challenge is pending

Each qualified household gets 250 minutes per month of free air time. Tax money only pays for the phone service, not the actual phones,

Obviously you didn't read the actual article, and just the headline.

"A federal judge has blocked Georgia's plan to charge low-income residents $5 per month for cell phone service that currently is provided free of charge."

A new arbitrary fee is akin to a poor tax. Note it isn't a fee from the service providers but the state ergo, a tax. I thought you guys were against taxes? May I quote you and any other conservative who thinks arbitrary new taxes are ok? I'm telling Grover on you! :)

Last edited:
The final democrat solution to the poor is to confine them in beds and bring them everything they want. Chewing is work. Feed them with feeding tubes and have a catheter so they don't have to pull down their own pants to pee.

Obviously you didn't read the actual article, and just the headline.

"A federal judge has blocked Georgia's plan to charge low-income residents $5 per month for cell phone service that currently is provided free of charge."

A new arbitrary fee is akin to a poor tax. Note it isn't a fee from the service providers but the state ergo, a tax. I thought you guys were against taxes? May I quote you and any other conservative who thinks arbitrary new taxes are ok? I'm telling Grover on you! :)

it is not a poor tax. if they don't want a phone, they don't have to get a phone. further, being poor is not a protected class. the title of the thread is 100% accurate. it is up to the legislature and not a judge on whether a state wishes to give "free" phones to the poor.

and the "tax" in this case falls right in line with conservatively fiscal responsibility. really, $5 and you're bitching. cell phones are privilege and a luxury, wholly unnecessary.

HAHAHA. Now the liberals are saying -- when you force someone to pay for a service, that's a TAX!!!!

Didn't the free phone thing begin under Bush?
Nope. Clinton introduced the program back in 1996 when he signed the Telecommunications Act into law, which offered either cell phones or landline services to low-income Americans.

Not much a fan of the program. There are working folks who don't qualify for the free cell phones, yet they can't afford one themselves. However their tax dollars are funding this program. Not really fair.

Be interesting to see the types of things these 'poor' people spend their money on while taxpayers foot the bill for their damn phones.

How long until the costs of lottery tickets, booze & cigarettes, tats, and other of life's alleged necessities get dumped on the rest of us too?

The court says free phones are "in the public interest". That's for legislators to decide, not judges. This is yet another crooked judge who took a bribe.

U.S. judge halts cell phone service fee for the poor in Georgia | Reuters

Dec 18, 2013 11:59am EST

(Reuters) - A federal judge has blocked Georgia's plan to charge low-income residents $5 per month for cell phone service that currently is provided free of charge.

The fee was set to take effect on January 31 and would have made Georgia the only U.S. state to charge for the federally subsidized phone service.

"The public interest tilts in favor of providing telephone services to low-income households that otherwise would be unable to afford mobile phones," U.S. District Court Judge Richard Story wrote on Tuesday in a temporary injunction that stops the new fee while a court challenge is pending

Each qualified household gets 250 minutes per month of free air time. Tax money only pays for the phone service, not the actual phones,

Geeze, how did we ever survive the 80's and 90's without cell phones?

Forum List

Back