Fearmongering & The Weather Channel

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Fearmongering
by Walter E. Williams, Human Events
January 23, 2007

Political commentator Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956) warned that "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed -- and hence clamorous to be led to safety -- by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." The Weather Channel has taken up that task with its series "It Could Happen Tomorrow."

The Weather Channel started its "It Could Happen Tomorrow" series in January 2006. The program includes episodes where a tornado destroys Dallas, a tsunami destroys the Pacific Northwest, Mount Rainier erupts and destroys nearby towns, and San Diego is devastated by wildfires.

They omitted a program showing a meteor striking my house, for it, too, could happen tomorrow. Of course, any one of these events could happen tomorrow, but I'm reminded of a passage in Shakespeare's "Macbeth," where after Macbeth listens to the predictions of the witches, Banquo warns him that "Oftentimes, to win us to our harm, the instruments of darkness tell us truths, win us with honest trifles, to betray us in deepest consequence." That is, gain our confidence with trifle truths to set us up for the big lie.

for full article:
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=19091

Just read that same article on World Net Daily. Environmentalism is an anti-capitalist movement that resorts to name-calling and scare tactics when people start asking them for facts.

Just read that same article on World Net Daily. Environmentalism is an anti-capitalist movement that resorts to name-calling and scare tactics when people start asking them for facts.

Yep, that's their typical response to any and all who do not blindly accept their way of thinking or see things the same way they do. It's their way or the highway--no other pov's allowed or welcomed, even when their opponents hold impressive credentials that more than counter-balance their own credentials. It's that "intellectual elite" factor, you know, that is so common among them.

Yep, that's their typical response to any and all who do not blindly accept their way of thinking or see things the same way they do. It's their way or the highway--no other pov's allowed or welcomed, even when their opponents hold impressive credentials that more than counter-balance their own credentials. It's that "intellectual elite" factor, you know, that is so common among them.

Dr. Williams is a great man, love his work and personality.

As far as the "intellectual elite", I lost a number of people that I thought were friends because I actually became interested in truth and politics and started thinking for myself.....poof.....they were gone.

I enjoy the Weather Channels "Storm Stories", but from the get go, I thought "It could happen tomorrow" was a bit over the edge. One of those shows aimed, I believe, at the survivalist faction, that live amongst us.

I always get a kick out of those folks, they prepare, prepare, and prepare some more. Their set to survive anything, got underground bunkers, years of freeze dried food, water, generator, the whole nine yards. Then their killed stepping off the curb on the way to a meeting.

Bad luck, or...............:eusa_think:

Fearmongering
by Walter E. Williams, Human Events
January 23, 2007

Political commentator Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956) warned that "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed -- and hence clamorous to be led to safety -- by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." The Weather Channel has taken up that task with its series "It Could Happen Tomorrow."

The Weather Channel started its "It Could Happen Tomorrow" series in January 2006. The program includes episodes where a tornado destroys Dallas, a tsunami destroys the Pacific Northwest, Mount Rainier erupts and destroys nearby towns, and San Diego is devastated by wildfires.

They omitted a program showing a meteor striking my house, for it, too, could happen tomorrow. Of course, any one of these events could happen tomorrow, but I'm reminded of a passage in Shakespeare's "Macbeth," where after Macbeth listens to the predictions of the witches, Banquo warns him that "Oftentimes, to win us to our harm, the instruments of darkness tell us truths, win us with honest trifles, to betray us in deepest consequence." That is, gain our confidence with trifle truths to set us up for the big lie.

for full article:
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=19091

I remember when you could turn to the Weather Channel and get the weather forecast.

Now it's like they're in the hunt for prime time ratings. "The Abrams and Bettis Report: Beyond the Weather?" WTF is THAT?

I remember when you could turn to the Weather Channel and get the weather forecast.

Now it's like they're in the hunt for prime time ratings. "The Abrams and Bettis Report: Beyond the Weather?" WTF is THAT?

Yea, thats no lie.

Those two are over the top. Prime time weather, and in your face.

Forum List

Back