FBI to investigate immigration rally

Dirt McGirt

Bad Mother****er
Dec 19, 2006
FBI to investigate immigration rally
By JEREMIAH MARQUEZ, Associated Press Writer 55 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - The FBI will open a civil rights inquiry into the Los Angeles Police Department's actions at an immigration rally at which officers cleared a park by wielding batons and firing rubber bullets, the bureau said Thursday.

The preliminary inquiry seeks to determine "whether the civil rights of protesters taking part in the May 1st immigration rally were violated," according to an FBI news release.

Police Chief William J. Bratton had said earlier Thursday that he planned to meet next week with the FBI to see whether a bureau probe of Tuesday's clashes at MacArthur Park was possible.

"I have no issues with the FBI coming in ... and taking a look at it," he said.

The FBI probe is the fourth official investigation of the violence. The U.S.
Department of Justice will review the bureau's results and decide whether to initiate a full-fledge investigation.

Police investigators plan to review extensive video of Tuesday's rally, where police clashed with a crowd in MacArthur Park, wielding batons and firing 240 rubber bullets.

Bratton said in an appearance on CBS's "Early Show" that he was "not happy" when he watched videotape of the events.

The chief said he hoped a federal review would show the department has nothing to hide while dispelling any claims that police had targeted immigrants or immigrant rights activists. Rally organizers decried the police behavior as brutal.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, on a trade trip in Mexico City, vowed to fully investigate the matter, saying he was "very disturbed" by what he saw.

"In police departments in major cities across the nation and around the world you'll often see situations like this," Villaraigosa told reporters. "The difference is we will investigate — make no mistake about it."

The clashes started around 6 p.m. Tuesday, when police tried to disperse demonstrators who moved into a street, according to rally organizers and reporters. Officers used batons to push the crowd back to the sidewalk after several people threw rocks and bottles at them, then cleared the park, authorities said.

News images showed police hitting a TV cameraman to the ground, shoving people who were walking away from officers and injuries from the rubber bullets. Bratton has said the use of force occurred while officers were trying to deal with 50 to 100 "agitators" who were trying to provoke police.

A police order to disperse probably wasn't effective because it was in English and given from a helicopter, Bratton said Wednesday. Many at the protest were Spanish speakers, he said.

Seven officers suffered minor injuries, and another was pushed off his motorcycle. About 10 other people were treated for minor injuries, though authorities expected the number to rise.

The Police Department has opened two investigations, one to create an "after-action report" that evaluates planning and operations, and another by internal affairs to probe complaints against officers.

Bratton said department investigators were still in the process of identifying all officers involved in the clashes, but that no decision about placing any on administrative leave would be made until the probe is finished.

An independent review also has been undertaken by the investigative arm of the city's civilian Police Commission, a five-member board of mayoral appointees that sets policy for the Police Department.

Police union leaders urged against a "rush to judgment."

"Our officers gave a legal dispersal order and were met with violence. In the coming days it will become clear what transpired," Los Angeles Police Protective League President Bob Baker said in a news release.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070504/ap_on_re_us/immigration_rally_clash

Here's footage from Fox News:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v7xO-GKmH2c"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v7xO-GKmH2c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

In the video, I saw people fleeing thatwere shot as they were doing as ordered - leaving. This is a case of mob violence, and the mob was the police.

I witnessed a similar scene in Hollywood, on Halloween 1988. I was there with a girlfriend and my dog. The streets were packed with people in costume and the sidewalks were grid locked. The police were walking around shouting at people and pushing them. Officers on motorcycles were deliberately kneeing pedestrians as they road close to the curb past the crowd. I got kneed with a hard knee pad by one of them. Officers on horse back were making their mounts step sideways pushing into the crowd and knocking people down. While this was happening, several police cars were racing up and down Hollywood Blvd at high rates of speed with lights flashing. I witnessed a bottle thrown at a patrol car. Immediately the police disappeared. People flowed into the streets and began to mill around and compare costumes. Within a minute a helicopter arrived and illuminated the area with a spotlight. The officer in the helicopter shouted over an amplifier to disperse or face arrest. Within another minute, hundreds of officers
arrived in full riot gear rushed from every alley and attacked at random. They beat many people with billyclubs. Other officers would run up and push their fellow officers away in order beat and kick the bloody downed person on the ground.

The things that stand out about this are, this was a peaceful event. It was an annual happening. I have attended several such events in Georgetown, a Washington D.C. neighborhood. Nothing like this happened in D.C.. The 'riot' was police invoked. The attack was preplanned - the police in riot gear were already there. The violence was uncalled for and excessive.

In the video, I saw people fleeing thatwere shot as they were doing as ordered - leaving. This is a case of mob violence, and the mob was the police.
It looked like it from the Fox News footage but I'll wait until the investigation is over. Something tells me that no matter the outcome, people are going to be very pissed off. On the one hand, you have the LAPD who have a reputation of notoriety for civil rights violations and on the other you have pro-immigrant supporters claiming civil rights abuses. In Southern California, pro-immigrants basically mean pro-illegal immigrant and if they're awarded millions of city dollars for having their civil rights violated, the national anti-immigration crowd is going to be pissed. If the LAPD is cleared of wrong doing they pro-immigration crowd is going to claim that the LAPD targets Hispanics. They'll probably riot again. It just looks like a no win situation for LA.

This is a case of mob violence, and the mob was the police.

I see just the opposite. The real mob is the horde of ILLEGAL MEXICANS swarming our nation and its people. THEY are the criminals. It says a lot about the state of things when the federal government's big fucking concern isn't the people or the local police, but the CRIMINAL ALIENS' 'civil rights'.

Where's our 'civil rights'?

I see just the opposite. The real mob is the horde of ILLEGAL MEXICANS swarming our nation and its people. THEY are the criminals. It says a lot about the state of things when the federal government's big fucking concern isn't the people or the local police, but the CRIMINAL ALIENS' 'civil rights'.

Where's our 'civil rights'?

There is a problem with lack of border control. That should be the job of the feds. It is not the job of police to punish or create a riot. I witnessed such an event first hand. I was in LA when the police choked a young guy to death, threw him in the back seat of the squad car were he died. Some other officers shot a elderly homeless woman in a restaurant because she was holding a plastic knife (the little white plastic one that came with her meal. Six officers unloaded there weapons in to her body. There was a saying around L.A, that the gang violence was out of control and the worst gang wore uniforms and drove black and whites.

I have to say im skeptical here. There were atleast 100 agitators here. So I dont believe the police did anything wrong, Unless you believe the police should have used real bullets. Ironically, I bet many of the protests were illegal aliens. Who should have been deported in my opinion, Its in the protests best interest to get hurt, and sue, so they can make money.

In conclusion, i think this all b.s. :eusa_snooty:

LAPD chief: Cops who fired at protesters are off streets

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Police Chief William Bratton said Sunday that up to 60 members of an elite squad that swarmed into a park and fired rubber bullets during a May Day immigration rally are no longer on the street.

Bratton said he spent the weekend viewing video of the MacArthur Park incident and he said LAPD failures were widespread with officers from the top on down culpable.

"I'm not going to defend the indefensible," Bratton told journalists during a meeting at a television studio in Hollywood.

"Things were done that shouldn't have been done."

Journalists were among those roughed up as Metropolitan Division's B Platoon moved through MacArthur and fired 148 rubber bullets to break up what had been a peaceful and lawful immigration rally.

Police said they moved in after rocks and bottles were thrown at them by 30 to 40 agitators, he said.

The Metropolitan Division is the city's premier police squad, made up of experienced officers who have extensive training in crowd control.

Bratton said up to 60 members of the Metro's B Platoon are no longer in the field. Additionally, he said, some officers will "in all likelihood" not return to the Metropolitan Division.

"Some of this will be career-impacting," Bratton said, adding that imposition of permanent discipline will await completion of the Police Department investigation.

Journalist organizations asked why officers ignored LAPD policies toward the news media worked out after reporters were assaulted during the 2000 Democratic National Convention.

A 2002 agreement called for designation of a safe spot for reporters covering news events. LAPD spokeswoman Mary Grady acknowledged reporters were not given "a designated safe spot" at MacArthur Park.

"There appears to have been here a failure to communicate," Press Photographers Association local president John McCoy said.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/07/rally.lapd.ap/index.html

It's coming out that the MS-13ers attacked the cops first. This will be interesting to see how it comes about. The MSM seems to only report the end result, but not the history leading up to it.

It's coming out that the MS-13ers attacked the cops first. This will be interesting to see how it comes about. The MSM seems to only report the end result, but not the history leading up to it.

Strange that Bratton didn't mention it. Sounds to me like he's quite happy to split up this Metro squad. Elite squads - both in detectives and in uniform can really give a police administrator some headaches.

When I was in college, I went to a SuperBowl Victory Rally outside of San Francisco's City Hall for the 49ers. The crowd got rather rowdy, and the police lobbed tear gas at us.

I wonder if the statute of limitations has run out on this Obvious Violation of the Civil Right to Party.

On the 24/7 news clips that I have seen say that the police fired upon people that were exiting, leaving and doing what the police had asked?

And I heard that the police also fired upon the media covering the event who were cordoned off... and clearly bi-standers?

Also, I had thought that I heard that there were 85 people that were the "trouble makers" out of THOUSANDS of INNOCENT people?

If there are 85 men that are causing trouble among 1000 women and children and babies, is the way to handle it really firing rubber bullets at the babies, children and women?

NOW I KNOW that these were not only women and children and babies.....

I was just using this as an exagerated example, but the NUMBERS OF INNOCENT ratio is the same... if I heard correctly?

I'll wait to get the full story, which will be about a month from now for a good deal of it and 50 years later for the rest..... :(

Care

When I was in college, I went to a SuperBowl Victory Rally outside of San Francisco's City Hall for the 49ers. The crowd got rather rowdy, and the police lobbed tear gas at us.

I wonder if the statute of limitations has run out on this Obvious Violation of the Civil Right to Party.

You're a 49ers fan? You deserved it :D

On the 24/7 news clips that I have seen say that the police fired upon people that were exiting, leaving and doing what the police had asked?

And I heard that the police also fired upon the media covering the event who were cordoned off... and clearly bi-standers?

Also, I had thought that I heard that there were 85 people that were the "trouble makers" out of THOUSANDS of INNOCENT people?

If there are 85 men that are causing trouble among 1000 women and children and babies, is the way to handle it really firing rubber bullets at the babies, children and women?

NOW I KNOW that these were not only women and children and babies.....

I was just using this as an exagerated example, but the NUMBERS OF INNOCENT ratio is the same... if I heard correctly?

I'll wait to get the full story, which will be about a month from now for a good deal of it and 50 years later for the rest..... :(

Care

There seems to be a great deal of popular - and in my opinion, unwarranted support for the action of B Platoon, Metro, LAPD. Is it because this was a rally supporting illegal immigrants. If B Platoon, Metro, LAPD had done the same thing to a, let me think, bunch of rowdy LA Dodgers fans, would the police be receiving such fierce defence?

There seems to be a great deal of popular - and in my opinion, unwarranted support for the action of B Platoon, Metro, LAPD. Is it because this was a rally supporting illegal immigrants. If B Platoon, Metro, LAPD had done the same thing to a, let me think, bunch of rowdy LA Dodgers fans, would the police be receiving such fierce defence?
Probably not!

And it is spelled "defense" in America, so where are you from? :)

Care

Australia - oh I see no location. Will try and fix.

Good catch by the way :D

Oops doesn't show a location.
hahaha! Well thank you! My love for Who done it?, female sleuths/ detective type novels has served me well! hahaha! :)

I have to admit that it was a spontaneous response and I did not even think to go in to the prfile to look or anything like this....

hahaha! Well thank you! My love for Who done it?, female sleuths/ detective type novels has served me well! hahaha! :)

I have to admit that it was a spontaneous response and I did not even think to go in to the prfile to look or anything like this....

My spelling did it. That reminds me of an old film (movie) I saw quite some years ago, it was set in occupied Europe, France I think, some OSS agents had landed and were trying to keep undercover. They were eating in a restaurant full of civilians and German soldiers. All was going well until one of the agents began slicing his meal, transferred his fork to his right hand and....oopsie....the civilians and soldiers watched him eating American-style.

Being shot for one's table manners is bad form...:D

My spelling did it. That reminds me of an old film (movie) I saw quite some years ago, it was set in occupied Europe, France I think, some OSS agents had landed and were trying to keep undercover. They were eating in a restaurant full of civilians and German soldiers. All was going well until one of the agents began slicing his meal, transferred his fork to his right hand and....oopsie....the civilians and soldiers watched him eating American-style.

Being shot for one's table manners is bad form...:D
I lived in Italy/Germany for 3 years.... I would have caught the fork "thingy" too! And our table manners are 'just fine'! you guys are screwed up! lol

and driving on the WRONG side of the road...would have been a blatent clue! hahaha

Also crossing through the number 7....

and Good morning to ya!

Care

There is a problem with lack of border control. That should be the job of the feds. It is not the job of police to punish or create a riot. I witnessed such an event first hand. I was in LA when the police choked a young guy to death, threw him in the back seat of the squad car were he died. Some other officers shot a elderly homeless woman in a restaurant because she was holding a plastic knife (the little white plastic one that came with her meal. Six officers unloaded there weapons in to her body. There was a saying around L.A, that the gang violence was out of control and the worst gang wore uniforms and drove black and whites.

And what's often unreported is that the LAPD is now heavily black and Mexican. What do you have to say about that? The Ramparts scandal involved EXCLUSIVELY black and Mexican cops. So you have to pick between refraining from bashing law and order, or being racist.

Sucks being a liberal, eh?

And what's often unreported is that the LAPD is now heavily black and Mexican. What do you have to say about that? The Ramparts scandal involved EXCLUSIVELY black and Mexican cops. So you have to pick between refraining from bashing law and order, or being racist.

Sucks being a liberal, eh?

Easy. No colour but blue (or khaki or green etc.) Who cares about the ethnicity of the errant officer?

Forum List

Back