"FBI: Over 80 Percent of Active Shooter Incidents Occur at Work"

RandomVariable

VIP Member
Jan 7, 2014
Lots of interesting stuff today.

FBI Over 80 Percent of Active Shooter Incidents Occur at Work
By Roy Maurer 3/3/2015
Of 160 active shooter incidents in the United States between 2000 and 2013, over 80 percent (132) occurred at work, according to the FBI’s first study of the subject.

The agency defined an active shooter incident as when an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a populated area through the use of firearms.

The study found that 1,043 people were either killed or wounded in all 160 incidents, excluding the shooters. There was an average of 6.4 incidents per year from 2000-06, but the rate increased to 16.4 incidents per year from 2007-13. The incidents occurred in 40 states and in Washington, D.C.

Of the 132 worksite shootings, 73 incidents (45.6 percent) took place at businesses, 39 (24.4 percent) at schools, 16 (10 percent) at government sites, and four at health care facilities (2.5 percent).

Some interesting statistics in the article.

Did they show the percentage that were gun free zones?

By Roy Maurer 3/3/2015
Of 160 active shooter incidents in the United States between 2000 and 2013, over 80 percent (132) occurred at work, according to the FBI’s first study of the subject.

The agency defined an active shooter incident as when an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a populated area through the use of firearms.

The study found that 1,043 people were either killed or wounded in all 160 incidents, excluding the shooters. There was an average of 6.4 incidents per year from 2000-06, but the rate increased to 16.4 incidents per year from 2007-13. The incidents occurred in 40 states and in Washington, D.C.

Of the 132 worksite shootings, 73 incidents (45.6 percent) took place at businesses, 39 (24.4 percent) at schools, 16 (10 percent) at government sites, and four at health care facilities (2.5 percent).

Did they show the percentage that were gun free zones?

By Roy Maurer 3/3/2015

Now that would be interesting!

The 73 incidents that occurred in business environments resulted in 210 people killed (including 12 company owners, supervisors or managers) and 272 people wounded (including six owners, supervisors or managers). Most of the attacks took place on workdays, particularly Tuesdays and Fridays, with a fairly equal spread among remaining days of the week. Saturdays were the least likely day for such incidents to occur.

The majority of the shooters in business environments were not employed at the shooting location:

• Thirty-seven shooters were not employees or past employees, though eight had a relationship with at least one current employee. What type of relationship?
  • Thirty-four shooters were employed or previously employed by the business, including 22 current employees, seven former employees, four terminated on the day of the shooting and one suspended employee.
  • Two shooters fled the scene and remain at large, so their connection to the incident location is unknown.

The 73 incidents that occurred in business environments resulted in 210 people killed (including 12 company owners, supervisors or managers) and 272 people wounded (including six owners, supervisors or managers). Most of the attacks took place on workdays, particularly Tuesdays and Fridays, with a fairly equal spread among remaining days of the week. Saturdays were the least likely day for such incidents to occur.

The majority of the shooters in business environments were not employed at the shooting location:

• Thirty-seven shooters were not employees or past employees, though eight had a relationship with at least one current employee. What type of relationship?
  • Thirty-four shooters were employed or previously employed by the business, including 22 current employees, seven former employees, four terminated on the day of the shooting and one suspended employee.
  • Two shooters fled the scene and remain at large, so their connection to the incident location is unknown.
After it was over, I wonder how many of the incidents left survivors saying " I was wondering when something like this was going to happen?".

After it was over, I wonder how many of the incidents left survivors saying " I was wondering when something like this was going to happen?".
I wonder how many workers sit at their work currently wondering when it is going to happen to them.

This is why your right to carry a weapon for self defense should be honored at work........

This is why your right to carry a weapon for self defense should be honored at work........
The only people who are going to carry a gun to work, who don't currently do so, are going to be people who one does not want to carry a gun to work.

The only people who are going to carry a gun to work, who don't currently do so, are going to be people who one does not want to carry a gun to work.

How is that....? Most law abiding citizens don't carry a gun to work because it is either against the law, or it is against company policy.......of course the shooters who murder people bring their guns to whatever gun free zone they have chosen to kill people in.....

Several of my instructors have talked about having to disarm before they go into work.......

The gun free zone policy disarms the very people who could stop an attack like this...ask the Doctor who violated his hospital's gun free zone policy and ended up killing a crazy shooter......

I wonder how many workers sit at their work currently wondering when it is going to happen to them.
Probably a lot of postal workers.

Teachers worry about getting shot by students.

Yep! I wonder if one could back track leading up to those incidents what the atmosphere of the entire operation was.

Tell that to the big corporations. See how quickly they pull away from the republicans.

Yep! I wonder if one could back track leading up to those incidents what the atmosphere of the entire operation was.

When you look at he shooter....I would guess no one at the shooting site was shocked to see the guy who was doing the shooting...remember the Colorado Theater Shooter.....his Community college professor told colleagues he was afraid he would be shot in class....and a student wrote in her journal....this guy is going to come to class and kill people.....

When you look at he shooter....I would guess no one at the shooting site was shocked to see the guy who was doing the shooting...remember the Colorado Theater Shooter.....his Community college professor told colleagues he was afraid he would be shot in class....and a student wrote in her journal....this guy is going to come to class and kill people.....

Depends on the shooter. Some of them are off the beam and there are red flags that we read about after the event. I'm not interested in those at the moment.

I'm interested in the daily environment that some of these turkeys worked in. What is setting the stage for this type of workplace violence? When I read about some of the incidents it seems so cut and dry and I always feel like there is more to the story---beyond a four paragraph article in the daily.

He also threatened his psychologist. That shooting should have never happened.

He also threatened his psychologist. That shooting should have never happened.
People should be given the freedom to say and do whatever they like and not be harassed or spied on by the man and carry a gun, up until they shoot and kill someone at which point they should be locked away for life. (sarcasm) News flash: it ain't working.

How is that....? Most law abiding citizens don't carry a gun to work because it is either against the law, or it is against company policy.......of course the shooters who murder people bring their guns to whatever gun free zone they have chosen to kill people in.....

Several of my instructors have talked about having to disarm before they go into work.......

The gun free zone policy disarms the very people who could stop an attack like this...ask the Doctor who violated his hospital's gun free zone policy and ended up killing a crazy shooter......
Let's say someone with a conceal and carry sees a crazy shooter. Is C&C allowed to shoot even if it is not in self defense?

Let's say someone with a conceal and carry sees a crazy shooter. Is C&C allowed to shoot even if it is not in self defense?

Only if your life is in danger or another persons........if someone is actively shooting you can make a case for shooting him......but remember.....there are anti gunners everywhere...best to leave the area if you can......and shoot only if you have no other option........

Forum List

Back