Favorite Works of Sci-Fi

And Harry Potter is not sci-fi.........
I talk shit about Harry Potter whenever someone even mentions it. It's funny to hear someone try to make case that it's great literature rather than the garbage dump it is.

I talk shit about Harry Potter whenever someone even mentions it. It's funny to hear someone try to make case that it's great literature rather than the garbage dump it is.
Oh...I don't think it's great literature.
The idea is brilliant though.
The idea that a witch can be good.
The idea that witches and wizards live among us and go to schools to learn witchcraft.
The whole idea is brilliant.

The Star Trek Vanguard series by David Mack and Dayton Ward.
The Starrigger trilogy by John DeChancie
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Orion by Ben Bova
Infinity Welcomes Safe Drivers by Grant Naylor

The Star Trek Vanguard series by David Mack and Dayton Ward.
The Starrigger trilogy by John DeChancie
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Orion by Ben Bova
Infinity Welcomes Safe Drivers by Grant Naylor
Hitchhiker ----- a lot of people think The Hitchhiker's Guide is religious fiction, like C.S. Lewis' Perelandra Trilogy, mentioned by another poster here. I agree --- there is not a lot of religious "sicfi" but there is some and Hitchhiker is one of them, the whole "increasingly improbably named trilogy." (Five books. The last one, "Mostly Harmless," is very profound, to me. The title is the description of Earth in the Guide to the Universe, to which two-word summary the Guide edited Ford Prefects very long entry on Earth that he wrote when he was trapped here for several years.)

Last edited:
Early on I read scifi....but most of it was pretty depressing to me.
I prefer uplifting books...Watership Down for instance.
I learned how to read even before I started first grade by reading the funny papers.
I used to have quite a comic book collection.
I remember when Spiderman first came out in Marvel Comics.
My favorite was Plastic Man.

I'm not a huge reader of Sci-Fi, but works of Sci-Fi are definitely among my very favorite works of fiction.

My all-time favorite is A Canticle for Leibowitz. Other favorites are The Martian Chronicles, Brave New World, Ender's Game, Frankenstein, Stranger in a Strange Land, Watchers, Starship Troopers, The Foundation Trilogy.

Your favs and suggested reading. . . .

Also, I'm hoping someone can help me with a title of a light Sci-Fi I read more than a decade ago about a couple that dies young, in their forties or so. They are continuously reborn after their deaths, which are separated by just a few years. No matter what precautions they take, they die at the same age over and over again, to the minute, and relive the same number of years, between, approximately, 1930 and 1980. Their lives are lived in the same world, in the same period of history, over and over. Further, after a certain period of intellectual development, they acquire perfect recall of their previous lives, so they are essentially adults, brilliant adults in children's bodies. They are the same person with different families. Because they know what will happen and because they have so much time to learn more and more as psychological adults, they readily secure their financial security early. But they are seemingly alone. The male protagonist resolves to see if there are any others like him, persons reliving the same years over and over again, amassing more and more knowledge.

He runs a continuous ad in several prominent newspapers with a message that would be meaningless to all but someone else like him.

Bottom line: his ad is eventually answered. It's a woman. They get together, fall in love, and share their lives over and over again until discovered by the government via a complex series of events. They get back together each life cycle via the same message, published in the same paper on the same day. Though always reborn in the U.S., their psyches are the only other thing repeated, not their bodes or familial backgrounds.
Sorry I can't help you but it does sound like an interesting book.
Read a couple by A.G. Riddle that were pretty good
Ryk Brown's Frontier series, It's an outer space adventure series. It's pretty good.

Last edited:
To be fair 90% of sci-fi is little more than fantasy with fancy words.
In most libraries there are different subject headings such as Science Fiction or Fantasy. However some libraries classify it all under Science Fiction or Science Fiction and Fantasy. Although sometimes sci-fi may have elements of fantasy, real science fiction is based on scientific hypothesis while Real fantasy deals in the supernatural and does not attempt to connect the story to science.

In most libraries there are different subject headings such as Science Fiction or Fantasy. However some libraries classify it all under Science Fiction or Science Fiction and Fantasy. Although sometimes sci-fi may have elements of fantasy, real science fiction is based on scientific hypothesis while Real fantasy deals in the supernatural and does not attempt to connect the story to science.
That's not really the case. A lot of sci-fi does little more than exchange elves for aliens, magic for fantastical technology, none of which has real scientific value.

Try David Webber or John Ringo. Ringo wrote a great series on a plague that destroys the mind and leaves you a hunger craved naked madman. In other words a zombie that isnt dead.

Forum List

Back