Favorite Time Travel Movies

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
Some of my favorite time travel movies:

The Final Countdown. A modern aircraft carrier in WWII? Oh hell yeah!

Planet of the Apes. "You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you! Damn you all to hell!"

12 Monkeys. I just found out there is a 12 Monkey series, too, on Hulu. I'm going to have to check it out.

Idiocracy. Not really a great movie, but feels relevant to current events.

Idiocracy is the most accurate but it vastly underestimated how quickly the world would be populated & run by complete unthinking idiots

idiocracy.jpg

Somewhere in Time

Yes, that's a very good one.

Predestination is a favorite. Based on a short story All You Zombies by Robert Heinlein. Through a combination of time travel paradoxes and a very improbable biological oddity, the main character becomes both of his own parents, his mentor, his nemesis. His very existence is a paradox.

The Lake House is another favorite of mine. I don't really consider it a time travel movie, but the element of communications travelling back and forth over a two-year gap is an important part of the story, as is the subtle paradox that I didn't even notice until having watched it several times. If you watch it for the first time, when Alex fails to show up for the date at Il Mare, think back on what it was that happened early in the movie, that upset Kate greatly; and maybe you'll guess at the twist that is revealed near the end, and understand why Alex didn't show up.

Of course, there is Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and Bill & Teds's Bogus Journey, which tells a great story between the two movies. A third movie, Bill & Ted Face the Music came out much more recently, but I don't consider it at all essential to the story told in the two older movies. The third movie really didn't need to be made, but since they did make it, you might as well watch it.

Last edited:
Some of my favorite time travel movies:

The Final Countdown. A modern aircraft carrier in WWII? Oh hell yeah!

Planet of the Apes. "You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you! Damn you all to hell!"

12 Monkeys. I just found out there is a 12 Monkey series, too, on Hulu. I'm going to have to check it out.

Idiocracy. Not really a great movie, but feels relevant to current events.
100 thumbs-up to Final Countdown! And Kirk Douglas, probably one of my top five favorite actors of all time.

The Butterfly Effect. A boy had several instances during his childhood, where he blacked out, as events took place of a traumatic nature. As an adult, he finds that he can travel back to those times, and change what happened during them. But every time he changes anything, he only makes things worse.

There are actually two different versions of how the movie ends, with a few subversions of the mainstream theatrical ending. The Directors' Cut ending is much, much darker.

Happy Death Day. A young college student is murdered, on the evening of her birthday, but wakes up again at the start of the same day. She goes through many cycles of this, trying to figure out who keeps murdering her, and why; in the course, figuring out and straightening various other aspects of her life.

There's a sequel, Happy Death Day 2 U, which takes the story further.

Both worth watching.

I'm not sure if it really applies, but Iove how David Bowman is rapidly depicted as a fetus a middle-aged man and an old man in a matter of seconds...in 2001: A space Odyssey. Also 2010, the sequel.

Does "Interstellar" qualify? I thought that was one the best movies of the last two decades. Definitely time travel was part of that movie's plot.

Does "Interstellar" qualify? I thought that was one the best movies of the last two decades. Definitely time travel was part of that movie's plot.

Not really. I don't think relativistic time dilation, allowing one character to experience time much more slowly than at home, and thus returning home in a distant future from when he left, really counts as time travel. There is, however, an element of information being transmitted from inside the black hole, backward to a distant past, setting up a paradox in which that information leads to the main character following the course that puts him in the position to transmit that information.

I don't really consider Interstellar to be a time travel movie.

Not really. I don't think relativistic time dilation, allowing one character to experience time much more slowly than at home, and thus returning home in a distant future from when he left, really counts as time travel. There is, however, an element of information being transmitted from inside the black hole, backward to a distant past, setting up a paradox in which that information leads to the main character following the course that puts him in the position to transmit that information.

I don't really consider Interstellar to be a time travel movie.
Well...if you remember... eventually he realizes that it was himself that was trying to contact himself in the past by sidestepping some of the usual strings that we have to walk on in order to experience life in the natural space-time flow quotient. So he DID reach back from the future into the past. However he was also reaching into the future FROM the past. So maybe it was this paradox of the same person reaching for himself across time... Reaching from both the past and future simultaneously to find himself....which qualifies this movie for time travel as I'm suggesting.

Essentially the new Star Trek movies are based on an alternate time line after the rouge Romulans traveled back and changed the past.

Looper is another I liked.

Edge of Tomorrow

The Avengers Endgame

And for general goofiness...
Hot Tub Time Machine

Forum List

Back