Favorite Spring Thing?

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
What's your favorite thing about spring? This is mine:

img_3353_tree_swallow.jpg
treeswallows3edit.jpg

The tree swallows just came back today to start nesting. They're checking out the box on the shed. The bluebirds usually take that one but you never know. A few years back they took the box on the trellis and laid three eggs. A few days after they hatched I heard squawking and looked out to see feathers flying out of the box. I ran out and a wren had gotten in an tossed out all three of the 2 day old babies. I managed to save two of them and put them back in the box. They fledged a few weeks later. I look forward too and thoroughly enjoy their return each spring.

It's difficult for me to pick just one, so if'n you don't mind Zoom-boing ... I'm going to mention a few of my favorite things about spring!

The early morning sounds and songs of the various birds living in the woods behind my house. I find waking to their songs to be a fresh and delightful way to start my day.

The early morning sunrise. During my commute to work I watch as the horizon grows brighter and by the time I arrive, Mr. Sun is showing it's first rays over the houses and buildings. Of course I take a moment to stop and look at the beauty, taking in a deep breath and telling myself it's going to be a good day.

The warmth of the spring months.

My magnolias, forsythia and cherry trees all in bloom! Tulips and dogwoods, the grass turning green and all the new buds on the trees.

Opening the windows for the first time since early autumn.

The end of winter.

I'm not sure what type of bird this was but last spring I was sitting on my deck and I have a dog wood tree that over hangs a portion of the deck. This little birdie was on the outer branch close to me. I started to say "Here birdie, birdie" It flew off. Then about 4 minutes later, that little bird flew and landed on my shoulder for a few seconds then landed on the rail inches from me. Wow, I thought! Yeah I love to see all the birds return. The hummingbirds are my favorite but I have so many around.

You know when you look up in the sky and see a flock of birds flying. I mean a shit load of them? Well last week they all landed in my front yard. I've never seen that before. I was like holy cow...and immediately thought of the movie "The Birds" LOL

You know when you look up in the sky and see a flock of birds flying. I mean a shit load of them? Well last week they all landed in my front yard. I've never seen that before. I was like holy cow...and immediately thought of the movie "The Birds" LOL

Were they black? We get starlings here and sometimes there are TONS of them and they all land on the lawn or on the rooftops then all of a sudden take off.

We had a red tail hawk land on our bird feeder a few years ago. When you're used to seeing finches and such and a hawk lands on the feeder - - - cripes, he was huge.

Light.

I love having more light into the evening hours. My favorite spring thing is to be able to walk around Lake Merritt in the early evening without having to wear a jacket.

Last fall we had what at least 100 crows sitting in the trees behind my house and all over my lawn. My husband and I stood there slightly concerned and in awe because we had never seen so many crows in our back yard. It was a strange and eerie sight. And yes, I was reminded of 'The Birds' as well!

I like spring cleaning. Well no, that's a lie . . . I like how the house feels after it's been spring cleaned. Yeah, that's it.

As long as they don't linger on your lawn. That's a sign of grub worms. Bad for glass.

We had that problem one particular summer. Then we bought Grub-Ex!

I like spring cleaning. Well no, that's a lie . . . I like how the house feels after it's been spring cleaned. Yeah, that's it.

Thanks for the reminder. Sigh.
Maybe I'll do my windows this weekend. Wait! What the hell am I saying? Not this early .... not before the pollen.

Were they black? We get starlings here and sometimes there are TONS of them and they all land on the lawn or on the rooftops then all of a sudden take off.

We had a red tail hawk land on our bird feeder a few years ago. When you're used to seeing finches and such and a hawk lands on the feeder - - - cripes, he was huge.
Yes they were black but not big like crows....I would have to guess at least 400 or more. They were pecking at the ground and stayed for about 10 minutes.

I am not a bird watcher but I should start paying attention more because I get a ton of birds here. I have bird feeders, 3 bird baths, and loads of trees!

As long as they don't linger on your lawn. That's a sign of grub worms. Bad for glass.
oopsie they did linger on the ground, and I have a mole problem in spring and fall. It cost a lot of money to treat my yard for grubs and this year I just don't have the money. Maybe the birds got most of them so therefore took care of my spring mole problem? Gosh, I hope so or I'll be out sniping moles.

*runs to her closet, pulls out husbands combat boots, dust them off, and places them by the door for easy access." :lol:

Thanks for the reminder. Sigh.
Maybe I'll do my windows this weekend. Wait! What the hell am I saying? Not this early .... not before the pollen.

Half of ours are done. I'm cleaning windows right now. No, really. I'm NOT procrastinating and browsing the USMB instead of cleaning the windows. I have to get them done cause I keep opening the windows without the screens and we keep getting wasps in the house.

Now you did it!!!!!!!!!! I have to get off this PC now and do some spring cleaning! I've been procrastinating.

Forum List

Back