Favorite Religious Quotes

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
from "Pitch Black"

Imam: Because you do not believe in God does not mean God does not believe in - .

Riddick: Think someone could spend half their life in a slam with a horse bit in their mouth and not believe? Think he could start out in some liquor store trash bin with an umbilical cord wrapped around his neck and not believe? Got it all wrong, holy man. I absolutely believe in God... And I absolutely hate the fucker.

All thinking men are atheists. — Ernest Hemingway

Lighthouses are more helpful then churches. — Benjamin Franklin

A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. — Samuel Clemens

The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church. — Ferdinand Magellan

It’s an incredible con job when you think about it, to believe something now in exchange for something after death. Even corporations with their reward systems don’t try to make it posthumous. — Gloria Steinem

Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man ... living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you. He loves you and he needs money. = George Carlin

I remember once hearing that rabbis put god's existence on trial in a concentration camp. They found that with all the evil and villainy, that god couldn't possibly exist. When they adjourned their inquiry, they announced the time of their service the next day as if nothing happened. That I heard anecdotally, but it sounds true. Logic says there isn't a god that is compassionate and loving, if god exists at all. But we keep on holding on to the same old weak pretenses. They are better than nothing, I guess.

13879_574899389187498_204409309_n1.jpg

When I cannot understand my Father’s leading, And it seems to be but hard and cruel fate, Still I hear that gentle whisper ever pleading, God is working, God is faithful—Only wait.

–A.B. Simpson

Thanks for posting this thread, btw. I was actually just reading and discussing some of this today

390068_361863450571042_165751891_n.jpg

I remember once hearing that rabbis put god's existence on trial in a concentration camp. They found that with all the evil and villainy, that god couldn't possibly exist. When they adjourned their inquiry, they announced the time of their service the next day as if nothing happened. That I heard anecdotally, but it sounds true. Logic says there isn't a god that is compassionate and loving, if god exists at all. But we keep on holding on to the same old weak pretenses. They are better than nothing, I guess.

In Auschwitz ya, it happened. Are living eye-witnesses.

Wiesel: Yes, we really did put God on trial | The Jewish Chronicle

tumblr_mb5jqiNBQr1qbofuso1_500.jpg

To criticize a person for their race is manifestly irrational and ridiculous, but to criticize their religion, that is a right. That is a freedom. The freedom to criticize ideas, any ideas – even if they are sincerely held beliefs – is one of the fundamental freedoms of society. A law which attempts to say you can criticize and ridicule ideas as long as they are not religious ideas is a very peculiar law indeed.

Rowan Atkinson

atheist-quotes31.jpg

What is wrong with inciting intense dislike of a religion if the activities or teachings of that religion are so outrageous, irrational or abusive of human rights that they deserve to be intensely disliked?

Rowan Atkinson

Rowan was talking about Islam right? Sure.

Favorite Religious Saying: "I believe in Global Warming!"

Some from one I love, St Francis of Assisi

Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.

Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men.

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love.

"If there is such a thing as a supreme being, then it is the responsibility of each of us to be its moral superior." H. Ventinari

17:1 And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters:
17:2 With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.
17:3 So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.
17:4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:
17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written a mystery: Babylon The Great, the mother of harlots and abominations of the Earth.
17:6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.
17:9 And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sat.
17:10 And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he comes, he must continue a short space.
17:11 And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goes into perdition.
17:12 And the ten horns which thou saw are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast.
17:15 And he said unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sat, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.
17:18 And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigns over the kings of the earth.
— Revelation 17:4–18

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law... love under will"

-Aleister Crowley

I find this thread amusing. Why? Because all the atheists on the board are jumping in with quotes from atheists. And by doing so they are conceding that atheism is indeed a religion. Something many of them would deny in word are now conceding by their actions. It's very amusing.

On another note, you don't need to be angry and bitter with God. He has His arms wide open and ready to embrace you when you turn to Him. But you will not find happiness if you remain on the path of wickedness. Because wickedness never was happiness.

My FAVORITE religious quote?

Some of us will get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few of the sublimest geniuses of Rome and Athens had some faint discoveries of the spiritual nature of the human soul, and formed some probable conjectures, that man was designed for a future state of existence.
- David Brainerd

I care not where I go, or how I live, or what I endure so that I may save souls. When I sleep I dream of them; when I awake they are first in my thoughts.
-David Brainerd

No amount of scholastic attainment, of able and profound exposition of brilliant and stirring eloquence can atone for the absence of a deep impassioned sympathetic love for human souls.
- David Brainerd

Once more, Never think that you can live to God by your own power or strength; but always look to and rely on him for assistance, yea, for all strength and grace.
-David Brainerd.

If you hope for happiness in the world, hope for it from God, and not from the world.
-David Brainerd

Ardent love or desire introduced, as passionately longing to please and glorify the Divine Being, to be in every respect conformed to him, and in that way to enjoy him.
-David Brainerd

The idea that everything would happen exactly as it does regardless of whether we pray or not is a specter that haunts the minds of many who sincerely profess belief in God. It makes prayer psychologically impossible, replacing it with dead ritual at best.
-David Brainerd

Last edited:
Refuse to be average. Let your heart soar as high as it will.
- A . W. Tozer

The faith of Christ offers no buttons to push for quick service. The new order must wait the Lord's own time, and that is too much for the man in a hurry. He just gives up and becomes interested in something else.
- A. W. Tozer

When we become too glib in prayer we are most surely talking to ourselves.
- A. W. Tozer

If I see aright, the cross of popular evangelicalism is not the cross of the New Testament. It is, rather, a new bright ornament upon the bosom of a self-assured and carnal Christianity. The old cross slew men, the new cross entertains them. The old cross condemned; the new cross amuses. The old cross destroyed confidence in the flesh; the new cross encourages it.
- A. W. Tozer

As the excellence of steel is strength, and the excellence of art is beauty, so the excellence of mankind is moral character.
- A. W. Tozer

It is either all of Christ or none of Christ! I believe we need to preach again a whole Christ to the world - a Christ who does not need our apologies, a Christ who will not be divided, a Christ who will either be Lord of all or will not be Lord at all!
- A. W. Tozer

The church that is not jealously protected by mighty intercession and sacrificial labors will before long become the abode of every evil bird and the hiding place for unsuspected corruption. The creeping wilderness will soon take over that church that trusts in its own strength and forgets to watch and pray.
- A. W. Tozer

Forum List

Back