Favorite made for TV movie

lg325

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2020
Florida's Past
Hidden n Silence. A WW2 Drama of a polish catholic girl risking her life to hide Jews during the NAZI occupation. A well-done film with some quality acting. I also recommend the book it is based on. It is based on a true story.

I don't know if it qualifies or not but there was a 2 parter back in the 80s I think:

Blood Vows; The Story of a Mafia Wife
was good for what it was. It was about a woman who married into the mob unsuspectedly.

Maybe this is breaking the rules, but one MUST include mini-series in this category. Movie makers move to a mini-series when the story is just to extensive to compress into 90 minutes.

Having said this, Lonesome Dove and Roots are the best ever, if you exclude PBS. There are several Brit mini-series on PBS that are fantastic.

Aren't they all made for T.V. these days? Salem's Lot was great and the other King novel "Mercedes Man" with Brendan Gleeson was great.

Holiday In Your Heart starring LeAnn Rimes and Bernadette Peters is my most favorite and it was first shown on December 14th 25 years ago. :) :) :)

God bless you and LeAnn and Bernadette always!!!

Holly (a day one fan of LeAnn)

My top 3 are all from the early 70s, haven't watched much TV since. My favorite is Duel.
Duel (1971) is an an interesting movie for several reasons. It was Steve Spielberg's directorial debut in a feature length film. It was one of 4 films made for TV by Universal. It received such good reviews that Universal added footage and released it to the theaters. The movie also was notable for being the only movie that had no auditions except for a trunk.

Duel had a simple plot that Spielberg did not stray from. Dennis Weaver was selected for the title role of a salesman on a road trip being pursued by a giant truck. We never actually see the truck driver as Spielberg wanted the truck itself to be the villain. There is very little dialog and no music. The sounds you hear are mostly that of the truck and the car and Weaver talking to himself or the truck. The real star of movie is the truck. Spielberg used fear of the unknow very effectively and his timing was perfect.

Last edited:
Duel (1971) is an an interesting movie for several reasons. It was Steve Spielberg's directorial debut in a feature length film. It was one of 4 films made for TV by Universal. It received such good reviews that Universal added footage and released it to the theaters. The movie also was notable for being the only movie that had no auditions except for a trunk.

Duel had a simple plot that Spielberg did not stray from. Dennis Weaver was selected for the title role of a salesman on a road trip being pursued by a giant truck. We never actually see the truck driver as Spielberg wanted the truck itself to be the villain. There is very little dialog and no music. The sounds you hear are mostly that of the truck and the car and Weaver talking to himself or the truck. The real star of movie is the truck. Spielberg used fear of the unknow very effectively and his timing was perfect.

I watched three classics recently on tv...casablanca, gone with the wind, and the man who would be king....they were all great where eagles dare is another favorite

Forum List

Back