Favorite lines and/or key exchanges of dialogue in movies

"...in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock..." - Harry Lime, The Third Man

Another favorite movie dialogue exchange of mine is the scene in Blade Runner where Rutger Hauer's character talks to Harrison Ford's character on a roof top just before he "dies". It starts out with, "I've seen things....." It's perhaps the most stirring and profound movie scene I can recall. It's also extremely emotional and sad, and brings me to tears every time I watch it. Fantastic scene with outstanding work by Mr. Hauer.
I can't stress enough HOW wonderful this scene is. It seems to come out of nowhere towards the end of a nihilistic and often violent film. This beautiful and sad scene catches you by surprise with its unexpected tenderness. It is beautifully sad or sadly beautiful, either one, and a wonder to watch. This is one of those rare moments when watching a film, I realize that THIS is why they make movies. In a word, ASTOUNDING.

Mine is from Agent Smith in The Matrix. It fits the description of the human race to a T.

I'd like to share a revelation I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to another area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague

This bit of dialogue, of course, is utter nonsense. Humans adapt and innovate, making resources ever-more abundant and/or efficiently consumed via technology. Only leftist fools believe otherwise as the historical realities fly right over their heads.
I don't BELIEVE Gracie IS a leftist fool. At least I don't THINK she is.
Far from it. It looked like a great thread...unless the OP doesn't agree with your favorite lines and therefore you get a finger waggle.

I didn't mean to be a buzz kill. I just find any sentiment that equates humanity to a disease incredibly distasteful, moreover, a shallow and banal understanding of human nature and the human condition. I didn't say it's not a great/appropriate line . . . for the character who utters it. The notion that it's true, "fits humanity to a T," is not merely foolish, but evil. That's how leftists have always regarded humanity as they simultaneously imagine that human nature is perfectable via the state.

Last edited:
Another favorite movie dialogue exchange of mine is the scene in Blade Runner where Rutger Hauer's character talks to Harrison Ford's character on a roof top just before he "dies". It starts out with, "I've seen things....." It's perhaps the most stirring and profound movie scene I can recall. It's also extremely emotional and sad, and brings me to tears every time I watch it. Fantastic scene with outstanding work by Mr. Hauer.
I can't stress enough HOW wonderful this scene is. It seems to come out of nowhere towards the end of a nihilistic and often violent film. This beautiful and sad scene catches you by surprise with its unexpected tenderness. It is beautifully sad or sadly beautiful, either one, and a wonder to watch. This is one of those rare moments when watching a film, I realize that THIS is why they make movies. In a word, ASTOUNDING.

Indeed, that monologue is stunning: "Tears in Rain."

Mine is from Agent Smith in The Matrix. It fits the description of the human race to a T.

I'd like to share a revelation I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to another area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague

This bit of dialogue, of course, is utter nonsense. Humans adapt and innovate, making resources ever-more abundant and/or efficiently consumed via technology. Only leftist fools believe otherwise as the historical realities fly right over their heads.
I don't BELIEVE Gracie IS a leftist fool. At least I don't THINK she is.
Far from it. It looked like a great thread...unless the OP doesn't agree with your favorite lines and therefore you get a finger waggle.

I didn't mean to be a buzz kill. I just find any sentiment that equates humanity to a disease incredibly distasteful, moreover, a shallow and banal understanding of human nature and the human condition. I didn't say it's not a great/appropriate line . . . for the character who utters it. The notion that it's true, "fits humanity to a T," is not merely foolish, but evil. That's how leftists have always regarded humanity as they simultaneously imagine that human nature is perfectable via the state.
Yet, you again decided to pick apart my contribution to your thread. In my opinion, its something that rings true to me in describing "humanity". I was not under the impression our additions to your thread were under your scrutiny as to shallowness, banality, foolish or evil.

As I said before..../thread. I only responded because you had to "and furthermore" me with your own foolish, banal, shallow opinion.

I'm reminded of a line from Disclosure that was in the book but not the movie. "It's all bullshit and anyone who buys into it is an asshole."

Indeed, that monologue is stunning: "Tears in Rain."

Thanks for the post. I'm unable to post links with my computer, this is very much appreciated.

"There's no place like home." - The Wizard of Oz, 1939
"I'll be back." - The Terminator, 1984
"I see dead people." - The Sixth Sense, 1999
"I'm king of the world!" - Titanic, 1997
"You talking to me?" - Taxi Driver, 1976
"I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" - Network, 1976
"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti." - The Silence of the Lambs, 1991
"They're coming to get you Barbara." - Night of the Living Dead, 1968
These are just some of my favorite lines from movies :tongue:

Not just what was said, but how; Col. Kilgore (note the name!) in "Apocalypse Now" "Someday, this war's gonna end."

Forum List

Back