Favorite lines and/or key exchanges of dialogue in movies

Ringtone

Platinum Member
Sep 3, 2019
I know it's a bit unusual, but I'm not merely a bit of a film buff, but a big fan of the films from the classical era: the '30s, '40s and '50s. I say unusual because I'm only 29. Though not from that era, I just rewatched a film that very much reminds me of the very best of that era. The film is The Rainmaker, which, by the way, features Teresa Wright, easily one of my favorites of all time, in a key role, which was her last.

My favorite line from it: "Sworn in by a fool and vouched for by a scoundrel, I'm a lawyer at last."

Mine is from Agent Smith in The Matrix. It fits the description of the human race to a T.

I'd like to share a revelation I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to another area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague

I know it's a bit unusual, but I'm not merely a bit of a film buff, but a big fan of the films from the classical era: the '30s, '40s and '50s. I say unusual because I'm only 29. Though not from that era, I just rewatched a film that very much reminds me of the very best of that era. The film is The Rainmaker, which, by the way, features Teresa Wright, easily one of my favorites of all time, in a key role, which was her last.

My favorite line from it: "Sworn in by a fool and vouched for by a scoundrel, I'm a lawyer at last."
My favorite movie dialogue exchange is in On The Waterfront, where Marlon Brando does his famous "I could a been a contender" scene in the back seat of a car with Rod Steiger, who played Brando's brother's character in the film. There's so much emotion, sadness and regret in Brando's lines. Superb.

Mine is from Agent Smith in The Matrix. It fits the description of the human race to a T.

I'd like to share a revelation I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to another area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague

This bit of dialogue, of course, is utter nonsense. Humans adapt and innovate, making resources ever-more abundant and/or efficiently consumed via technology. Only leftist fools believe otherwise as the historical realities fly right over their heads.

This bit of dialogue, of course, is utter nonsense. Humans adapt and innovate, making resources ever-more abundant and/or efficiently consumed via technology. Only leftist fools believe otherwise as the historical realities fly right over their heads.
Oh. My bad. I thought this thread was a "fun" thing to share...not be picked apart.

/thread

My favorite movie dialogue exchange is in On The Waterfront, where Marlon Brando does his famous "I could a been a contender" scene in the back seat of a car with Rod Steiger, who played Brando's brother's character in the film. There's so much emotion, sadness and regret in Brando's lines. Superb.

Ah, the Godfather: lots of rich lines in that one!

I don't BELIEVE Gracie IS a leftist fool. At least I don't THINK she is.

I don't BELIEVE Gracie IS a leftist fool. At least I don't THINK she is.
Far from it. It looked like a great thread...unless the OP doesn't agree with your favorite lines and therefore you get a finger waggle.

Oh. My bad. I thought this thread was a "fun" thing to share...not be picked apart.

/thread
Well, it isn't attacking the op, just commenting on the message of the monologue. The sentiment of "Agent Smith" is one we often hear, and it is absurd and nihilistic.
There are lots of great movie lines that we like and, at the same time, can find existential fault with.

"Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends."

Monty Brogan, drug dealer in "25th hour"

Another favorite movie dialogue exchange of mine is the scene in Blade Runner where Rutger Hauer's character talks to Harrison Ford's character on a roof top just before he "dies". It starts out with, "I've seen things....." It's perhaps the most stirring and profound movie scene I can recall. It's also extremely emotional and sad, and brings me to tears every time I watch it. Fantastic scene with outstanding work by Mr. Hauer.

Another favorite movie dialogue exchange of mine is the scene in Blade Runner where Rutger Hauer's character talks to Harrison Ford's character on a roof top just before he "dies". It starts out with, "I've seen things....." It's perhaps the most stirring and profound movie scene I can recall. It's also extremely emotional and sad, and brings me to tears every time I watch it. Fantastic scene with outstanding work by Mr. Hauer.

I get that same response to this scene from Grapes of Wrath

I'll be all around in the dark. I'll be ever'-where - wherever you can look. Wherever there's a fight so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad - I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry an' they know supper's ready. An' when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise, and livin' in the houses they build - I'll be there, too. Steinbeck, “Grapes of Wrath.”

Forum List

Back