favorite camping locations

Greg Bernhardt

www.physics*****s.com
Dec 8, 2006
I usually camp around door county and the dells in wisconsin. I also loved my camping trip in the boundry waters two years ago.

Most any place in the Ozarks of Arkansas, but "Longpool campgrounds" in the Ozarks National Forest is very nice. Lots of trails, good fishing, and great site's for the 28' trailer.

The campground host is very nice, and keeps the place up to HIGH standards.

If I'm motorcycle camping, most any place will do, just get off the road a couple hundred feet.

If I'm backpacking, the Buffalo river area is great, just beautiful.

I envy you western folks on this topic. The North Georgia Mountains is the best I can do. But tha's pretty good!

No Mountain jokes now!

you should enter the awahnee lodge lottery to try to win a stay there for christmas....the lottery the right to stay in the lodge...anway....very cool....$500 a night......never won.....in 20 years....

my all time favorite so far is Glacier Nat'l Park

For our honeymoon, my wife ans I did a 65 mile backpacking trip in late August 2001. Stunning scenery great wildlife (countless deer and 5 bears not to mention some mountain lion tracks....way cool)

I can't wait to go back and do it again

1. Red River Gorge in Kentucky.

2. Any canyon I can drop into and walk out of in desert country.

3. Sebastian Inlet, Florida

4. 10,000 Islands, Florida Bay

5. Various high meadows and coves in the Smokies and along the Nantahala River in NC. (In the snow.)

6. The roadside between Sinop and Ankara in Turkey.

7. Nahal Darga in the Judean Desert in Israel.

These were the high points of my primitive camping. Living in the field in the military does not count. I have a positive outlook. I just gave myself a new back packing kit from R.E.I. for my coming 63rd birthday.

I am also building a Totch Brown wade and drag boat for a point to point trip across the lower glades and above the upper 10K Islands in Jan.

I AM

Tuttle Creek campground, Lone Pine, California.

I try to go July of every year. I fish for my dinner almost every night and hike to the top of Mt Whitney once.

I envy you western folks on this topic. The North Georgia Mountains is the best I can do. But tha's pretty good!

No Mountain jokes now!

Im with you on that. The best I can get is here in the NC mountains. Beautiful land but i just want to see Montana once before i die.

Last edited:
I usually camp around door county and the dells in wisconsin. I also loved my camping trip in the boundry waters two years ago.

I live just a few miles outside the boundry waters..This will be my 3rd summer here.

The Superior National Forest that surrounds it...is also a nice place..No permits required,and just as peaceful in my opinion.Lota rain up her this year..so the f-ing misquitos are like they use to be years back.

I live just a mile outside of Ely....so every time I go to town..I get to see all the weekend warriors on vacation heading in.

It is a nice experience though...

The best place to live in the world,and the hardest place to make a living..:)

I have camped and hiked most of the states west of the Missouri River. My favorites remain Oregon and Washington. From the high desert of Oregon to the magnificent North Cascades of Washington, there is country to please anyones tastes. And much of it very empty.

Forum List

Back