Favorite and/or Best War Movies

Several authentic WWII version M-4 Sherman tanks in this one, along with other era vehicles and some rather gritty scences and episodes. One of the more realistic and recent "war movies". ...
Fury is a 2014 American war film written and directed by David Ayer, and starring Brad Pitt, Shia LaBeouf, Logan Lerman, Michael Peña, Jon Bernthal, Jason Isaacs and Scott Eastwood. The film portrays U.S. tank crews fighting in Germany during the final weeks of the European theater of World War II. Ayer was influenced by the service of veterans in his family and by reading books, such as Belton Y. Cooper's Death Traps, about American armored units in World War II and the high casualty rates suffered by tank crews in Europe.

Production began in early September 2013, in Hertfordshire, England, followed by principal photography on September 30, 2013, in Oxfordshire. Filming continued for a month-and-a-half at different locations, which included the city of Oxford, and concluded on November 13. Fury was released on October 17, 2014, received positive reviews, and grossed $211 million worldwide.
Fury had the only surviving and operable Tiger tank in the world make a cameo appearance in the film, on loan from Bovington Museum.

Here's another list of 50, this time just USA. Some from the previous list, some we've tossed here already, and a few notable MIA still.

50 best American war movies​

Throughout history, war has been processed, glorified, and protested through art. Ancient battle scenes stand as among the earliest artistic depictions in civilized society, used at the time for documenting wars won and for intimidating enemies. Since then, myriad impressions of wartime have been shared throughout every civilization and from virtually every perspective. Classic books like Ernest Hemingway's "Farewell to Arms" stand as celebrated examples of anti-war works, while pieces like Diego Rivera's "The Nightmare of War and Dream of Peace" incited controversy.

Among the most powerful mediums artists have found to transmit and better understand the effects of war is film. To determine the best American war movies, Stacker compiled data on all American war movies to come up with the Stacker score—a weighted index split evenly between IMDb and Metacritic scores. To qualify, the film had to have an IMDb user score and Metascore, be American-made, and deal explicitly with the United State’s involvement in a war. Ties were broken by Metascore, and further ties were broken by IMDb user votes. These are the women and men of Hollywood who have stepped into the shoes of the greatest heroes in American history, both real and fictional.

Keep reading to see which war movies have made the list, how many came from Clint Eastwood, and which Stanley Kubrik titles crested the top 20.
Thanks for this article. Only seen 7 of these and never heard of over half of them. Will be a great addition to my must see movies list that is already over 250 items long.

There are so many you have to separate them into eras. R.Lee Ermy's "Siege at Firebase Gloria" is an entertaining Vietnam movie. FMJ gives me nightmares about my time in Parris Island.

I have many war favorites....I like this one, and I really like the theme song! Alec Guinness was amazing in that movie!

Bridge On The River Kwai Theme​

50 best WWII movies of all time​

On Sept. 1, 1939, Germany invaded Poland, forcing the world to go to war for a second time. The massive and lengthy war resulted in an estimated 75 million people deaths before it was called to an end on Sept. 2, 1945, with the surrender of the Japanese. In the years since, there have been hundreds, if not thousands, of books written and movies made about World War II. These projects cover the war from every angle—that of Allied and Axis soldiers, civilians, resistance fighters, prisoners of war, Jewish people and other persecuted peoples; the list could go on.

With the limited amount of free time most of us have today, it would be impossible to read all of these books or watch all of these movies. So Stacker has made it a little easier for you by rounding up the 50 best WWII movies of all time.

To create this list, Stacker compiled data on the highest-rated WWII films from Metacritic and IMDb. To qualify, the film had to be listed as "war" on one or more of the major databases (IMDb, Metacritic, Wikipedia, Rotten Tomatoes, etc.), have a registered Metascore (i.e. four or more reviews by critics), and at least 500 votes on IMDb. The films were then ranked by their Metascores as of Feb. 10, 2020, and ties were broken by IMDb user rating and, if necessary, further broken by votes.

At Stacker, we recognize that genre is meant to help describe and communicate the tone of a film, not to serve as a limiting factor on what films can and cannot be. There are no hard and fast lines that define a WWII film outside of involving the war, and we agree that leaning into more open interpretations of what fits into certain genres is best practice for getting a pool of films that represent all possible expressions of a particular genre (e.g. "Casablanca" may not take place in the trenches, but being chased by Nazis in war-time Morocco qualifies in our book). So from hard-hitting films like "Saving Private Ryan" and "Schindler’s List" to more palatable offerings like "Their Finest," read on for some historical picks that should be added to your Netflix queue.

Thanks for this article. Only seen 7 of these and never heard of over half of them. Will be a great addition to my must see movies list that is already over 250 items long.
Your link is now defunt and inoperable. Good this article is found on many sites. Heres a new link:

I gotta go with Tora! Tora! Tora!. Has some great flying scenes for the time.

I saw it in the theater when it came out, and always try to catch it when it comes around on the movie channels.

12 O:Clock High

The Winter War

Das Boot

Kelly's Heroes

It Happened Here (mainly because everything used in the movie was real, and they had the balls to march a nazi marching band through Trafalgar Square just a few short years after the war was over)

Bat 21

Forum List

Back