Fast Food Burgers

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
It is no huge challenge to make a decent hamburger. It starts with a reasonably sizable hunk of ground meat and a bun with a firmer texture than a warm marshmallow. It absolutely DOES NOT include a mixture of ketchup, mustard, pickles, onions and soft Velveeta cheese.

Purveyors of hamburgers (mainly Wendy's, Burger King, & McDonalds) are always keen to devise a "premium" burger at a higher-than usual price. They often toss in a few strips of bacon, which doesn't hurt, but then they add a "special" sauce that is always loaded with sugar and is often branded, "barbecue," which should be a felony.

I do not understand why these companies - whose entire existence is based on burgers - can't sell a decent hamburger. It is not difficult.

I usually prefer to make my burgers at home.

Everyone has different ideas on what makes a great burger.

It is no huge challenge to make a decent hamburger. It starts with a reasonably sizable hunk of ground meat and a bun with a firmer texture than a warm marshmallow. It absolutely DOES NOT include a mixture of ketchup, mustard, pickles, onions and soft Velveeta cheese.

Purveyors of hamburgers (mainly Wendy's, Burger King, & McDonalds) are always keen to devise a "premium" burger at a higher-than usual price. They often toss in a few strips of bacon, which doesn't hurt, but then they add a "special" sauce that is always loaded with sugar and is often branded, "barbecue," which should be a felony.

I do not understand why these companies - whose entire existence is based on burgers - can't sell a decent hamburger. It is not difficult.
I DO like Culver's Double Butter Burger with cheese and all the fixin's. I also like Wendy's Baconator, a double cheeseburger with EIGHT strips of bacon. And I still enjoy McDonald's Quarter Pounder with cheese. Damn, I just made myself hungry!

I like burgers about 20 different ways. Variety is the spice of life. I'm not big on Velveeta but I understand that it melts fast making it easy for them. I've got no problem with catsup, mustard, onions or pickles. Hard to imagine a good burger without a thick slice of onion and some hot peppers. Good lettuce too.

Just leave the cole slaw and fries for on the side.

It depends on what you are looking for. Sometimes you just need a quick meal and get back to work or back on the road. Wendy's, Burger King and the rest do fine for that. The scary part is how much sugar you get.

Next time you are in a fast food place, get a packet of salt. Look at the ingredients. Yep, ingredients in salt. Most of them have "dextrose" listed. That is common table sugar.

I DO like Culver's Double Butter Burger with cheese and all the fixin's. I also like Wendy's Baconator, a double cheeseburger with EIGHT strips of bacon. And I still enjoy McDonald's Quarter Pounder with cheese. Damn, I just made myself hungry!
Hardees....steak breakfast bizzkit. Get there by 4 am, make it a double, add BLTM. Open WIDE. Be high or no way humans can eat one

One of my favorites when I was on the road is also one of the worst as far as a real burger. I could eat those square Krystal burgers by the sack full. And best of all, I could reach in the bag, grab the burger, shake the box off, and have two bites of bliss. No mess or fuss.

Forum List

Back