Fasces

Mortimer

Gold Member
really love this cap. It looks like the roman "fasces" to me the symbol of power which the Ceasars carried. Am I right? From the fasces derrives fascism.

IMG_3114.JPG
IMG_3111.JPG
IMG_3116.JPG

During the Democrats' failed coup attempt against the US President, Nancy Pelosi prominently wore her custom made Fasces symbol.
IMG_8777-1024x1024.jpg

9362105.jpg

Last edited:
During the Democrats' failed coup attempt against the US President, Nancy Pelosi prominently wore her custom made Fasces symbol.
??
This is a fasces symbol, Shirley?

main-qimg-2a45e603f904fa17976d69996e67a4cd-c
I guess technically it's a facsci. Facses is plural. In Latin, any bundle of rods is a fasci. Multiple bundles of rods are fasces IIRC.

Fasces were commonly used as handles for weapons such as axes, bludgeons and maces in ancient Rome. When multiple wooden rods are tightly bundled together with a wrapping, they are less likely to catastrophically fail than a single solid wooden rod of the same dimensions as the fasci.

That is why it's a symbol of the ancient Roman Republic. And in modern times it's still a symbol of a Republican form of government. The motto on the great Seal of the United States, E PLURIBUS UNUM (out of many, one) alludes to this.

Great_Seal_of_the_United_States_%28obverse%29.svg

I took 4 years of Latin in high school back in the 1980s. And I still remember some of it.

Last edited:
Fasces were commonly used as handles for weapons such as axes, bludgeons and maces in ancient Rome. When multiple wooden rods are tightly bundled together with a wrapping, they are less likely to catastrophically fail than a single solid wooden rod of the same dimensions as the fasci.
Dude. That's a load. Look at the symbol, read the history, it's a bundle of rods carried by enforcers - lictors, not a laminated handle.

That is why it's a symbol of the ancient Roman Republic.
And why Pelosi's is not a representation of a fasces.

Dude. That's a load. Look at the symbol, read the history, it's a bundle of rods carried by enforcers - lictors, not a laminated handle.
That's a ridiculous strawman. I never said anything about laminated handles in the first place, jackass. I clearly said "wooden rods are tightly bundled together with a wrapping". And that wrapping was preferably leather straps, but cords of plant fiber were also commonly used to wrap the bundles of rods together in order to produce fasces.

That is why it's a symbol of the ancient Roman Republic.
And why Pelosi's is not a representation of a fasces.
[/QUOTE]That's just stupid. Her prominent brooch is clearly a gold, stylized and bejeweled fasci modeled after the US HoR Seargent at Arms' mace.

I took 4 years of Latin in high school back in the 1980s. And I still remember some of it.
Dude.

fasces
: a bundle of rods and among them an ax with projecting blade borne before ancient Roman magistrates as a badge of authority
Note that not all fasces have an axe head. Fasces refers to the shaft of the handles made from a bundle of rods.

For example....

DSC_0025-2.jpg

At the Lincoln Memorial, the fasces on which Abe rests his hands do not have axe heads.

Forum List

Back