Fairness Doctrine

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
As noted in another thread a number of Members of the Democrat Underground are calling for a reestablishment of the Fairness Doctrine. Senator Reid made statements about a month or so ago indicating that he wanted to reinstate it as well.

Since the President seems to eager to work with the Congress, is he going to support this?

As noted in another thread a number of Members of the Democrat Underground are calling for a reestablishment of the Fairness Doctrine. Senator Reid made statements about a month or so ago indicating that he wanted to reinstate it as well.

Since the President seems to eager to work with the Congress, is he going to support this?

He may at some point. But I think the initial issues they're going to deal with is raising the minimum wage, which Bush says he might be able to get on board with. It's only fair, after all, since Congress keeps raising their own paychecks and many states have already done so with none of the ill effects predicted by the alarmists.

He may at some point. But I think the initial issues they're going to deal with is raising the minimum wage, which Bush says he might be able to get on board with. It's only fair, after all, since Congress keeps raising their own paychecks and many states have already done so with none of the ill effects predicted by the alarmists.

Yes, raising the minimum wage is the BEST idea for "helping working families." After all, paying x% of $6.85/hr is better than paying x% of 5.15/hr. And it will especially help when all the tax cuts expire. That will REALLY put money in the "working families'" pockets. Oh wait... I was confusing "working families" with "federal government." :rolleyes:

Sometimes Fair is Evil. Let the market decide minimum wage; not federal law. If Congress was run by a private organization congress wouldn't have to vote-in their own pay raises now, would they?

Wow, the assault on the First Amendment has already begun and they haven't even been sworn into office yet.

Yes, raising the minimum wage is the BEST idea for "helping working families." After all, paying x% of $6.85/hr is better than paying x% of 5.15/hr. And it will especially help when all the tax cuts expire. That will REALLY put money in the "working families'" pockets. Oh wait... I was confusing "working families" with "federal government." :rolleyes:

It's not the "working class famiies" who benefit from the tax cuts. Does $400 a year make a huge difference to you? Doubt it... Unless you're in the top 1% of wageearners, it isn't really going to affect you now, is it.... especially if they make college tuition tax deductible and rebuild the student loan and pell grant programs that the repubs eviscerated.

Finally, Bush is the only leader ever... in history... ever... who cut taxes during wartime. You want to fight your war, then the money has to come from somewhere.

It's not the "working class famiies" who benefit from the tax cuts. Does $400 a year make a huge difference to you? Doubt it... Unless you're in the top 1% of wageearners, it isn't really going to affect you now, is it.... especially if they make college tuition tax deductible and rebuild the student loan and pell grant programs that the repubs eviscerated.

Finally, Bush is the only leader ever... in history... ever... who cut taxes during wartime. You want to fight your war, then the money has to come from somewhere.

Anyone who pays taxes benefited from the tax cuts. That is why they cut taxes for everyone who paid them.

And cutting taxes has INCREASED the governments revenue. It has happened everytime its tried.

Tax revenues increased by the tax cuts you moron.

Anyone who pays taxes benefited from the tax cuts. That is why they cut taxes for everyone who paid them.

And cutting taxes has INCREASED the governments revenue. It has happened everytime its tried.

It's a question of how large the benefit... The average family probably saved about $400 a year. It's the top wage-earners who benefitted. It always struck me as interesting when people like Bill Gates and Donald Trump comment that Congress ran to save money for rich people like them and opposed the tax cuts. They were right and put national interest in front of their own greed.

As for increasing government revenue, that's simply not the case. Our debt is unspeakable... we've been operating on a credit card that our children will be paying off. They cut taxes for the 1% and then gave tax breaks to the corporations for off-shoring and outsourcing. That's resulted in our kids being born with $20,000 to $30,000 in debt. I'd like us to do better for my son.

Tax revenues increased by the tax cuts you moron.

That's a bunch of crap... it's why there was a recession after Reagan and why Bush I couldn't keep his "read my lips... no new taxes" promise and got tossed out after one term.

I wouldn't go calling other people names, dude...check that your own house is in order first.

And now I have to go work for a living.

Cheers.

Trying to get Jillian to reason, summed up in a .gif

4974horse.gif

Trying to get Jillian to reason, summed up in a .gif

4974horse.gif

Babe, the mods aren't the ones who are supposed to go after posters. Get a grip. You have an argument to make...make it. If you don't, then why not allow a civil conversation to remain civil.

Pretty messed up... I'd have been bounced when I was a mod if I did that type of thing.

Babe, the mods aren't the ones who are supposed to go after posters. Get a grip. You have an argument to make...make it. If you don't, then why not allow a civil conversation to remain civil.

Pretty messed up... I'd have been bounced when I was a mod if I did that type of thing.

First off, I'm not a moderator - I'm the board Admin. Difference.

2ndly, do you REALLY have the stones to play 'innocent'? Are you REALLY going to play the hurt-feelings card after something so silly? Poor Jillian...c'mon everybody... "POOR Jilian! Big Bad dmp said getting her to be reasonbable is like beating a dead horse!! Oh the humanity!"

Knock it off.

Jillian

Question for you. You say the first thing on the Democrat agenda is to raise the minimum wage, why?

Seriously, why? We have so many much more important things to deal with like Iraq, or national security or even immigration. (Even though i know their plan is one i wont like). Why start with the minimum wage?

You get a grip, partisan hack. Raising the minimum wage is going to increase unemployment in the small business end of the private sector. Those who are just making it aren't going to give a raise ... they're going to lay off.

And that Dem stance on taxes and tax cuts is just bullshit. I earn the money. I should get to spend it. I shouldn't have to fund stupid Democrat programs that perpetuate the dependence of do-nothings on handouts.

The FACTS are, I was making decent money before Clinton decided to realign it to some welfare recipient. I had to work two jobs during the 90s to clear less than I did with only one job during the 80s. That isn't real tough math.

Jillian

Question for you. You say the first thing on the Democrat agenda is to raise the minimum wage, why?

Seriously, why? We have so many much more important things to deal with like Iraq, or national security or even immigration. (Even though i know their plan is one i wont like). Why start with the minimum wage?

Because Jillian's idol and who she patterns herself after, Nutcase Pelosi says so.

Because Jillian's idol and who she patterns herself after, Nutcase Pelosi says so.

And nutcase Pelosi wants it because as a member of the Far Left solving real problems is not part of her agenda (raising minimum wages solves nothing, it's actually been proven to cause more problems) but it is the first step in the Left's robin hood mentality....take from the rich and give to the poor....everyone must have "equality"....Marxist style....just forget about working hard to attain the American dream on your own....Nancy and Hillary are here to take care of you... :rolleyes:

And nutcase Pelosi wants it because as a member of the Far Left solving real problems is not part of her agenda (raising minimum wages solves nothing, it's actually been proven to cause more problems) but it is the first step in the Left's robin hood mentality....take from the rich and give to the poor....everyone must have "equality"....Marxist style....just forget about working hard to attain the American dream on your own....Nancy and Hillary are here to take care of you... :rolleyes:

Raising minimum wage is going to get people laid off in the small business end. Mom-n-Pop aren't going to cut their own throats.

Jillian

They SMELL the money, and they want it dished up in the trough. (oink oink)

They SMELL the money, and they want it dished up in the trough. (oink oink)

Yeah...that's it... raising the minimum wage benefits Congres... sure it does. *rolling eyes*

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Just days after Democrats took over Congress, Americans embraced their top goals and President George W. Bush's job approval rating slid to 31 percent, according to a Newsweek poll issued on Saturday.
Huge majorities of those polled said they approved of the legislative priorities cited by Democratic leaders after their party seized control of the Senate and the House of Representatives from Republicans, the magazine said.

But they also expressed concerns that Democrats might seek to pull U.S. troops out of Iraq too quickly or hamper the administration's efforts to combat terrorism, it said.

The poll surveyed 1,006 adults on Thursday and Friday, following the Democrats' midterm election victory on Tuesday. It had a margin of error of 4 percentage points.

The strongest support, 92 percent, was for lowering drug prices for retirees on Medicare by allowing the government to negotiate directly with drug companies. Some three-quarters of respondents said it should be a top priority, according to Newsweek.

Americans also supported raising the federal minimum wage (89 percent), investigating government contracts in Iraq (89 percent) and cutting the interest rate of federal student loans (88 percent).

Bush's 31-percent job approval rating, down from 35 percent a week earlier, was a new low in Newsweek's polling. Some 63 percent disapproved of the Republican president's job performance, and a full two-thirds agreed that "he won't be able to get much done" in the last two years of his term.

The drop in Bush's approval rating came after Wednesday's resignation of Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, who had been a lightning rod for criticism of the administration's handling of the war in Iraq.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061112/pl_nm/usa_elections_poll_dc

Forum List

Back