Fairfax County VA investigating ability to fire and not hire smokers

Sign 'O the times? If the government offers free medical care it naturally assumes the right to dictate healthy lifestyles at least at work and maybe later in the home.

As long as the county is burdened with the cost of the course and not the employee, I am OK with that from the individual freedoms standpoint, but it seems damn wasteful of money.

Oh the County would pay for it. However, it is pretty clear that there is no support for a mandatory program amoungst the supervisors. It already has a voluntary program.

From your link

"more than half the states to pass laws rejecting bans on smokers"

Any person fired for being a smoker could sue, and I'd bet they'd win.
Depends on the state.

Tobacco is a legal substance. ... However, many states do not have these laws, soemployers are free to fire smokers, even if their tobacco use is solely outside the workplace.

My question is should an employer be able to fire you for not getting the vaccine? I think they should be allowed to fire unvaccinated people.

I was told that as much as people bitch about the cost of smoking on healthcare costs, insurance companies very rarely cover anything related to helping people quit---like that Chantix drug.

Smoking costs the UK NHS £2.6bn per year, but the tax revenue from tobacco products is over £13bn. You have to be a complete thicko to ban smokers.

Forum List

Back