Fact check: President Trump’s claim that Democrats gave Iran $150 billion

deanrd

Gold Member
May 8, 2017

I know it's really, REALLY hard to keep right wingers from endlessly repeating lies. This is another one they won''t stop repeating.

Check out the link. Some interesting parts:

But he’s all wet about the $150 billion claim, especially when he suggests it was taxpayer money. That’s certainly what he did in this tweet, asking why Democrats will not agree to appropriate $5 billion for a wall on the southern border with Mexico when they “gave Iran 150 Billion Dollars.”

But unlike the cash deal, this was not U.S. money. It was Iran’s money, frozen in international financial institutions around the world because of sanctions intended to curb Iran’s nuclear ambitions. For instance, many of the funds were held in banks in Asia, including China and India, as well as Turkey. Many of the countries received waivers to buy Iranian oil and gas during the sanctions but placed the payments in escrow-style accounts that remained off-limits to Iran. The Islamic Republic also transferred assets to Asian banks from Europe in anticipation of financial sanctions.

Trump suggests this was taxpayer money. In the tweet, he explicitly compared it to a congressional appropriation. That’s just flat wrong — and worthy of Four Pinocchios.

BBQTruB.img

-----------

See? Iran was allowed to have it's own money back.

I know this really hard for Trump's followers, something they have a really hard time with, but we are not thieves. We don't steal from other countries. Trump steals, I know, but that doesn't mean everyone else does.

I know it's really, REALLY hard to keep right wingers from endlessly repeating lies. This is another one they won''t stop repeating.

But he’s all wet about the $150 billion claim, especially when he suggests it was taxpayer money. That’s certainly what he did in this tweet, asking why Democrats will not agree to appropriate $5 billion for a wall on the southern border with Mexico when they “gave Iran 150 Billion Dollars.”

But unlike the cash deal, this was not U.S. money. It was Iran’s money, frozen in international financial institutions around the world because of sanctions intended to curb Iran’s nuclear ambitions. For instance, many of the funds were held in banks in Asia, including China and India, as well as Turkey. Many of the countries received waivers to buy Iranian oil and gas during the sanctions but placed the payments in escrow-style accounts that remained off-limits to Iran. The Islamic Republic also transferred assets to Asian banks from Europe in anticipation of financial sanctions.

Trump suggests this was taxpayer money. In the tweet, he explicitly compared it to a congressional appropriation. That’s just flat wrong — and worthy of Four Pinocchios.

BBQTruB.img

-----------

I know this really hard for Trump's followers, something they have a really hard time with, but we are not thieves. We don't steal from other countries. Trump steals, I know, but that doesn't mean everyone else does.

Criminals often lose their assets when they commit crimes, much of it often going towards their victims.

Iran should have been no different as they spread terrorism throughout the Middle East and create WMD's shouting death to Israel and the US everyday.

BBQTruB.img

-----------

Trump steals ? What are you talking about?

BBQTruB.img

-----------

One of sound mind does not return confiscated cash to a mob sworn to defeat you on your own ground.

Then came Obama ...

As we can clearly see from the posts from Trump's Chumps, the truth does not matter at all to them.

BBQTruB.img

-----------

Moron...you don't give the world's worst sponsor of terrorism and the country killing U.S. soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan, and supporting Hamas and Hezbollah attacking Israel, 150 billion dollars....

You morons are all out of shape over the Saudis killing the muslim brotherhood minion Kashoggi, but have no hesitation to give 150 billion dollars to the Iranians who use that money to murder innocent civilians all over the world, as they are arresting women for dancing...

You guys really are asshats.....

Forum List

Back