Facebook 'Returns Fire' On Australia, Bans Australian Users From Reading Or Sharing News

easyt65

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2015
"One of the world’s leading social media companies just cut off news from an entire nation. At first glance it sounds like Facebook run amok but after looking at it I’m not so sure the company doesn’t have a point. Here’s what’s going on. Australia is considering a law aimed at forcing Google and Facebook to pay Australian news sites for stories.

Under the Australian law, Facebook and Google would be required to negotiate “in good faith” with Australian news sites for licenses to link to their content—something they currently do for free. Nondiscrimination rules would require Google and Facebook to treat sites the same whether they have to pay a site for links or not. If negotiations broke down, the disputes would be settled by baseball-style arbitration, where each side puts an offer on the table and a neutral party decides which offer is more reasonable.

In short, Facebook and Google will be required to pay Australian news sites when they send them traffic—and the Internet titans are not allowed to stop linking to Australian news sites to avoid paying."

Let's say the 'Australian Walkabout', a fictitious Darwin news agency, posts a news story on Facebook with an associated link, and Facebook would have to pay a fee to the 'Australian Walkabout' for the story.

Ummmm.....I can see where Facebook has a serious problem with this. Facebook ALLOWS people to share info, news, etc....for free. They aren't going to let an Australian News Agencyposta news storyfor free on their site and then pay the news agency for the story.

I can see Facebook banning all news stories / links from being posted on their site in response to this....

I love it when Big Tech gets put in its place.

When Big Tech has the power to ban the President of the United States of America from expressing his opinions, then something is terribly wrong.

Since no one in this country has the blank to stand up to American Big Tech, hurrah for Australia!

"One of the world’s leading social media companies just cut off news from an entire nation. At first glance it sounds like Facebook run amok but after looking at it I’m not so sure the company doesn’t have a point. Here’s what’s going on. Australia is considering a law aimed at forcing Google and Facebook to pay Australian news sites for stories.

Under the Australian law, Facebook and Google would be required to negotiate “in good faith” with Australian news sites for licenses to link to their content—something they currently do for free. Nondiscrimination rules would require Google and Facebook to treat sites the same whether they have to pay a site for links or not. If negotiations broke down, the disputes would be settled by baseball-style arbitration, where each side puts an offer on the table and a neutral party decides which offer is more reasonable.

In short, Facebook and Google will be required to pay Australian news sites when they send them traffic—and the Internet titans are not allowed to stop linking to Australian news sites to avoid paying."

Let's say the 'Australian Walkabout', a fictitious Darwin news agency, posts a news story on Facebook with an associated link, and Facebook would have to pay a fee to the 'Australian Walkabout' for the story.

Ummmm.....I can see where Facebook has a serious problem with this. Facebook ALLOWS people to share info, news, etc....for free. They aren't going to let an Australian News Agencyposta news storyfor free on their site and then pay the news agency for the story.

FAcebook isn't the only source of news anywhere in the world so no one was cut off from the news

LOL! Fuckin facebook.

Not an individual. Not even a club, or group...a COUNTRY!

Forum List

Back