Facebook Probation

Iridescence

Rookie
Apr 1, 2011
US
I have to watch as a parent and wife what seems to get openly posted by some individuals... but especially by my husband and my oldest son. I don't mother after my husband, but if he posts something on my wall that I do not agree with or would rather not have... I delete it. Sometimes I discuss it with him and sometimes I do not. Recently I have been made aware of something I missed on my oldest son's wall. He had been having a conversation with his friends about someone fighting and the one that had gotten beaten was a diabetic. Though I do not teach my children to cater to individuals with health problems, I make sure they understand that they must be aware and considerate toward them, accordingly. In the conversation he was having with his friends, he made it clear he couldn't believe someone would beat on someone else that already had health issues. BUT on his wall, he posted something to the effect that he gets so angry out of no where that he cannot control his mind and he'd hurt someone innocent... NOW, as a mother, I cringe readily at the easily misunderstood words, but as HIS mother I know my son and how he meant for it to come across. I know his flaws and I know his temper... I put him on facebook probation for a while, however, because I must help him to understand that others do not know him as I do and his words could very well be misunderstood to mean that he would be the one doing the needless harm on the undeserving.

As a woman... I watch how other women are so accomplished at appearing completely successful, sexy, devoted, and so well put together, and then yet there are some women who, um, well... just advertise.

Facebook can be a marvelous tool for keeping in touch with those that we don't get to visit with as often as we would like otherwise, but our guards must be up and we must be as aware as possible because as with most anything, it can be used as much against us as for us.

Is this some kind of a joke??

I swear social media sites are destroying humanity. Maybe the Amish had it right all along.

• Banned
It's not a joke, it is a spiritual war that too many seem to completely underestimate as being necessarily addressed.

I don't blame facebook for the potential distortion of innocence, however, I am addressing the issue as a parent and am forever aware as both a wife and mother. In wording things as young adults do during a time of what can be confusing and conflicting hormones and emotional upheavals, I am not leaving the opportunity open for things to be misconstrued.

He can play the few games he has on there and he can correspond with his friends, but under my supervision and with the understanding his postings are now more limited than they were initially. Aside from this... he is also active, so a combination of interventions will help in aligning him accordingly.

I see why the Amish oppose technology now...

What the hell happened to people?

Melissa's controversy sounds like something out of an Oprah book...

• Banned
I certainly do not abhor technology, considering... And though I had posted that electricity is quite the beast, it isn't one that cannot be utilized. Amish live in such a way that they are self-sufficient and united on deeper levels that I admire. Many of our mainstream American families do not live in such a way.

I am not familiar with Oprah, I don't watch tv usually. Not because I think it is evil but because I find it loud and annoying most of the time. I prefer the history channel and the documentary channel.

I was posting this about facebook not to slam on facebook but because I have had people misconstrue the things my children have said before and it caused major difficulties in our home. CPS, while sometimes serve the most important services to the community, can be quite flawed in their perceptions and once things are reported to be questionable it is forever recorded.

That is just one potential problem that could arise. I was only giving an illustration.

my husband is a facebook crackhead.....i dont care....he can post what he wants...he keeps up with his 20 yr old killer body garden intern on facebook...

it is what it is

• Banned
You know, strollingbones, that is another thing I *just* don't really understand and perhaps I'd rather not. Some individuals will sit for hours and just ogle over the pics of others posting and seemingly never clue in that it is feeding their brain, burning and branding their memories.

I don't look like those gorgeous tanned beauties and likely never will, but I am sure I will never care to. I work hard at being a wife and I do hope my husband finds me forever attractive to and for him, but those images that many men (and women) lust after may be more detrimental to the ogler than the ogled. :lol: I bet I confuse the lot of ya'll.

o my you should see this young lady......its simply disgusting how exotically beautiful she is....last night at the market they (all the lovely babes) sat behind our tent and talk to my hubby....its like a little gaggle of 20 yr old hanging on his every word.....but he goes home with me....

they were playing some game from harry potter....had to hold an arm behind them cause their brooms havent arrrived......so here it is for me.....he might be banging the hell out of one of them....but he has to talk to her sooner or later..and what are they gonna discuss? harry potter?

this happen to a male friend of mine......he goes clubbing...picks up a young one....we are talking way young....takes her to his place.....he wakes up the next morning....she is already in the living room watching cartoons....he says he sat in the bathroom....cursing himself for about an hour...till she inquired if he was okay.....he said facing that young lady was one of the hardest things he has done (not that we believe that fake sorry for a minute) but he stuck to an age limit after that...

• Banned
*lola* I don't know... I happen to adore spongebob. ;) But yeah... One of the most irritating things had always been for me that people will take one look at me and assume I am a young and immature individual. I sometimes do give the worst impression of being a twit and am accomplished at being clueless about so many things...

My hubby hasn't really been into the younger girls so much, though he loves the look, he chats with older women. I don't mind so much. I wouldn't throw any parties and if one showed up at my door for him I'd likely flip but he's learning things through others that he'd likely not learn through me so I count my way through time sometimes slowly.

How do you handle it? What do you have that distracts you from what could be some heavy turmoil?

Last edited:
I have to watch as a parent and wife what seems to get openly posted by some individuals... but especially by my husband and my oldest son. I don't mother after my husband, but if he posts something on my wall that I do not agree with or would rather not have... I delete it. Sometimes I discuss it with him and sometimes I do not. Recently I have been made aware of something I missed on my oldest son's wall. He had been having a conversation with his friends about someone fighting and the one that had gotten beaten was a diabetic. Though I do not teach my children to cater to individuals with health problems, I make sure they understand that they must be aware and considerate toward them, accordingly. In the conversation he was having with his friends, he made it clear he couldn't believe someone would beat on someone else that already had health issues. BUT on his wall, he posted something to the effect that he gets so angry out of no where that he cannot control his mind and he'd hurt someone innocent... NOW, as a mother, I cringe readily at the easily misunderstood words, but as HIS mother I know my son and how he meant for it to come across. I know his flaws and I know his temper... I put him on facebook probation for a while, however, because I must help him to understand that others do not know him as I do and his words could very well be misunderstood to mean that he would be the one doing the needless harm on the undeserving.

As a woman... I watch how other women are so accomplished at appearing completely successful, sexy, devoted, and so well put together, and then yet there are some women who, um, well... just advertise.

Facebook can be a marvelous tool for keeping in touch with those that we don't get to visit with as often as we would like otherwise, but our guards must be up and we must be as aware as possible because as with most anything, it can be used as much against us as for us.

:lame2:

Thank you dear yidnar for joining us and for posting your forever important opinion.

Is this some kind of a joke??

I swear social media sites are destroying humanity. Maybe the Amish had it right all along.

Brother Editec has been shunning Facebook for the last month or so.

These social media sites are not what they appear.

NO, they most likely are not at all what they appear to be, but sometimes the purpose they serve can be far more beneficial than the potential flaws they represent.

I would rather talk face to face with people than over a computer or on the phone. The problem with tech is that it is impersonal. The nuances of social interaction are lost and a lot of times things get misunderstood on line when if it was face to face it would be understood. Another thing is that people are more comfortable telling their inner thoughts on line (and here where your ID is hidden) where in person or to their relatives they would feel ashamed or think they would offend them. People become disengaged for the social scene and that is troubling because we are social animals that need to interact with other human beings to be healthy mentally and emotionally.

what do i have? him......i love and trust him and realize that his being taken with young stuff aint the end of the world.....my husband is well aware of the rule....take it all outta town....this is a small town where we live....

New Topics

Forum List

Back