Face The Facts: The President Inherited a Recession

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
HANNITY: "First of all, this president -- you know and I know and everybody knows -- inherited a recession...it was by every definition a recession" (11/6/02)

HANNITY: "Now here's where we are. The inherited Clinton/Gore recession. That's a fact." (5/6/03)

HANNITY: "The president inherited a recession." (7/10/03)

HANNITY: "He got us out of the Clinton-Gore recession." (10/23/03)

HANNITY: "They did inherit the recession. They did inherit the recession. We got out of the recession." (12/12/03)

HANNITY: "And this is the whole point behind this ad, because the president did inherit a recession." (1/6/04)

HANNITY: "Historically in every recovery, because the president rightly did inherit a recession. But historically, the lagging indicator always deals with employment." (1/15/04)

HANNITY: "Congressman Deutsch, maybe you forgot but I'll be glad to remind you, the president did inherit that recession." (1/20/04)

HANNITY: "He did inherit a recession, and we're out of the recession." (2/2/04)

HANNITY: "The president inherited a recession." (2/23/04)

HANNITY: "The president inherited a recession." (3/3/04)

HANNITY: "Well, you know, we're going to show ads, as a matter of fact, in the next segment, Congressman. Thanks for promoting our next segment. What I like about them is everything I've been saying the president ought to do: is focusing in on his positions, on keeping the nation secure in very difficult times, what he's been able to do to the economy after inheriting a very difficult recession, and of course, the economic impact of 9/11." (3/3/04)

HANNITY: "All right. So this is where I view the economic scenario as we head into this election. The president inherited a recession." (3/16/04)

HANNITY: "First of all, we've got to put it into perspective, is that the president inherited a recession." (3/26/04)

HANNITY: "Clearly, we're out of the recession that President Bush inherited." (4/2/04)

HANNITY: "Stop me where I'm wrong. The president inherited a recession, the economic impact of 9/11 was tremendous on the economy, correct?" (4/6/04)

HANNITY: "[President George W. Bush] did inherit a recession." (5/3/04)

HANNITY: "[W]e got [the weak U.S. economy] out of the Clinton-Gore recession." (5/18/04)

HANNITY: "We got out of the Clinton-Gore recession." (5/27/04)

HANNITY: "We got out of the Clinton-Gore recession." (6/4/04)

FACT: "The recession officially began in March of 2001 -- two months after Bush was sworn in -- according to the universally acknowledged arbiter of such things, the National Bureau of Economic Research. And the president, at other times, has said so himself." (Washington Post, 7/1/03)

As Everybody Knows, The President Inherited A Recession

:lol:

---

What is it about the right in America that makes them lie so blatantly, yet when it comes to truth -- Obama inherited an economic meltdown -- they spin and lie and deny?

I have no doubt that Obama thought the job consisted of "flying around the world", bowing to everyone in sight and "Hail to the Chief" playing. The real aspects of the Job don't seem to interest him. The Job is a continuation since 1776. I hope we can all join hands, vote and relieve him of this burden ASAP.

I don't deny that the economy was going downhill when Obama entered office.

However, I don't excuse his responsibility for it now because:

1) He was a Senator when the economy took a downturn. You try to pretend he is not responsible for anything he did prior to becoming President. When it's clear Congress has just as much influence, if not more, than the President does in Economic matters.

2) No matter how bad the economy was when he inherited it, he has continually followed policies that will make the problem worse rather than actually help fix it. The idea that he isnt responsible for anything because he wasnt President when we first started going down is absurd.

Finally, I just have to say, grow up. I don't care when recessions started. I dont care about playing a blame game. I simply want to actually fix the problems facing America. If Obama adopted policies that encouraged and expanded economic growth instead of stifling it, I would whole heartedly support him. But he isn't. So I have to pray that he doesnt act in a way that totally destroys us before we get a chance to fix things.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that Obama thought the job consisted of "flying around the world", bowing to everyone in sight and "Hail to the Chief" playing. The real aspects of the Job don't seem to interest him. The Job is a continuation since 1776. I hope we can all join hands, vote and relieve him of this burden ASAP.

What a weird talking point, bullshit post. Can't you even make up one phrase yourself? Everyone of those phrases is straight off a cable show or a talk radio rant.

geesh

HANNITY: "First of all, this president -- you know and I know and everybody knows -- inherited a recession...it was by every definition a recession" (11/6/02)

HANNITY: "Now here's where we are. The inherited Clinton/Gore recession. That's a fact." (5/6/03)

HANNITY: "They did inherit the recession. They did inherit the recession. We got out of the recession." (12/12/03)

HANNITY: "And this is the whole point behind this ad, because the president did inherit a recession." (1/6/04)

HANNITY: "Historically in every recovery, because the president rightly did inherit a recession. But historically, the lagging indicator always deals with employment." (1/15/04)

HANNITY: "Congressman Deutsch, maybe you forgot but I'll be glad to remind you, the president did inherit that recession." (1/20/04)

HANNITY: "Well, you know, we're going to show ads, as a matter of fact, in the next segment, Congressman. Thanks for promoting our next segment. What I like about them is everything I've been saying the president ought to do: is focusing in on his positions, on keeping the nation secure in very difficult times, what he's been able to do to the economy after inheriting a very difficult recession, and of course, the economic impact of 9/11." (3/3/04)

HANNITY: "All right. So this is where I view the economic scenario as we head into this election. The president inherited a recession." (3/16/04)

HANNITY: "First of all, we've got to put it into perspective, is that the president inherited a recession." (3/26/04)

HANNITY: "Clearly, we're out of the recession that President Bush inherited." (4/2/04)

HANNITY: "Stop me where I'm wrong. The president inherited a recession, the economic impact of 9/11 was tremendous on the economy, correct?" (4/6/04)

HANNITY: "[W]e got [the weak U.S. economy] out of the Clinton-Gore recession." (5/18/04)

FACT: "The recession officially began in March of 2001 -- two months after Bush was sworn in -- according to the universally acknowledged arbiter of such things, the National Bureau of Economic Research. And the president, at other times, has said so himself." (Washington Post, 7/1/03)

---

What is it about the right in America that makes them lie so blatantly, yet when it comes to truth -- Obama inherited an economic meltdown -- they spin and lie and deny?

BO also helped to cause that meltdown. Sen. McCain co-sponsored S.109 a bill that would have created a new regulator to replace ineffective and powerless OFHEO. We could have reined in the GSEs in 2006 had this bill not been met with a threatened Democrat filibuster. Maybe if BO were not in bed with JP Morgan and Goldman-Sachs he might have been more willing to support regulation of Clinton's unregulated CDOs.

Barack Obama: Campaign Finance/Money - Top Donors - Senator 2006 | OpenSecrets

Barack Obama: Campaign Finance/Money - Top Donors - Senator 2008 | OpenSecrets

Top Contributors to Barack Obama | OpenSecrets

Do you really believe the Democrats "forgot" to limit executive bonuses when they passed the bailout?

Understatement
Definition:

A figure of speech in which a writer or speaker deliberately makes a situation seem less important or serious than it is. Contrast with hyperbole. See also: litotes.

Examples and Observations:

* "It's just a flesh wound."
(Black Knight, after having both of his arms cut off, in Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

understatement - definition and examples of understatement

1) He was a Senator when the economy downturn because. You try to pretend he is not responsible for anything he did prior to becoming President. When it's clear Congress has just as much influence, if not more, than the President does in Economic matters.

2) No matter how bad the economy was when he inherited it, he has continually followed policies that will make the problem worse rather than actually help fix it. The idea that he isnt responsible for anything because he wasnt President when we first started going down is absurd.

Finally, I just have to say, grow up. I don't care when recessions started. I dont care about playing a blame game. I simply want to actually fix the problems facing America. If Obama adopted policies that encouraged and expanded economic growth instead of stifling it, I would whole heartedly support him. But he isn't. So I have to pray that he doesnt act in a way that totally destroys us before we get a chance to fix things.

1) Obama was a US Senator for such a short time before he ran for President, I doubt the Senate staff knew who he was at the time. (see how easy it is to mimic your style?)

truth is Obama wasn't in the Senate long enough to effect much: puff pieces and his campaign ads to the contrary.

2) The economy was so bad we were looking a taking it off of life support. Not many rational people suggest how he could have done differently than he did. After the fact, sure -- at the time? A few banks and financial orgs went under and there was panic. Your criticism is unfair and absent the context of the time.

Finally, the truth -- you 'don't care' you just hate Obama.

thank you

:cool:
dD

---

BO also helped to cause that meltdown. Sen. McCain co-sponsored S.109 a bill that would have created a new regulator to replace ineffective and powerless OFHEO. We could have reined in the GSEs in 2006 had this bill not been met with a threatened Democrat filibuster. Maybe if BO were not in bed with JP Morgan and Goldman-Sachs he might have been more willing to support regulation of Clinton's unregulated CDOs.

Do you really believe the Democrats "forgot" to limit executive bonuses when they passed the bailout?

Obama was a fresh face, a junior Senator. He had very little power in the US Senate. In fact, a fair criticism would be that Obama, being the politician he is, only used the US Senate as a seat warmer.

You can speak about the donors to Obama's campaign all you want, that is a red herring if ever one swam by.

are you that naive or just stupid? Donors after the fact...by the time Obama had a campaign, the economy was on it's way to a full melt down.

and yes McCain co-sponsored legislation that did not pass.

This bill never became law.
This bill was proposed in a previous session of Congress. Sessions of Congress last two years, and at the end of each session all proposed bills and resolutions that haven't passed are cleared from the books. Members often reintroduce bills that did not come up for debate under a new number in the next session.
S. 190 [109th]: Federal Housing Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act of 2005 (GovTrack.us)

do you even know what the talking point you are using says?

In 2003 and 2005, who was in control of the Congress? Who was President? Who supported the bill? Who supported it and who didn't?

Did Obama kill the bill? :cuckoo:

Understatement
Definition:

A figure of speech in which a writer or speaker deliberately makes a situation seem less important or serious than it is. Contrast with hyperbole. See also: litotes.

Examples and Observations:

* "It's just a flesh wound."
(Black Knight, after having both of his arms cut off, in Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

understatement - definition and examples of understatement

1) He was a Senator when the economy downturn because. You try to pretend he is not responsible for anything he did prior to becoming President. When it's clear Congress has just as much influence, if not more, than the President does in Economic matters.

1) Obama was a US Senator for such a short time before he ran for President, I doubt the Senate staff knew who he was at the time. (see how easy it is to mimic your style?)

truth is Obama wasn't in the Senate long enough to effect much: puff pieces and his campaign ads to the contrary.

2) The economy was so bad we were looking a taking it off of life support. Not many rational people suggest how he could have done differently than he did. After the fact, sure -- at the time? A few banks and financial orgs went under and there was panic. Your criticism is unfair and absent the context of the time.

thank you

dD

He sure did get a lot of campaign contibutions from the same banks we bailed-out for someone who "wasn't in the Senate long enough to effect much".

Dayam, dayam, dayam.

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Dante again.
Why does it sound dirty to me every time I read that pop up message? :eusa_eh:
Because you've a wrong mind?

Perhaps you're hyperjudgemental? Judging from recent comments you've made to me, I'd say you are.

I should remind you: God has not died and left you in charge. :eusa_naughty:

AMEN! :clap2:

---

Obama was a fresh face, a junior Senator. He had very little power in the US Senate. In fact, a fair criticism would be that Obama, being the politician he is, only used the US Senate as a seat warmer.

You can speak about the donors to Obama's campaign all you want, that is a red herring if ever one swam by.

are you that naive or just stupid? Donors after the fact...by the time Obama had a campaign, the economy was on it's way to a full melt down.

and yes McCain co-sponsored legislation that did not pass.

This bill never became law.
This bill was proposed in a previous session of Congress. Sessions of Congress last two years, and at the end of each session all proposed bills and resolutions that haven't passed are cleared from the books. Members often reintroduce bills that did not come up for debate under a new number in the next session.
S. 190 [109th]: Federal Housing Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act of 2005 (GovTrack.us)

do you even know what the talking point you are using says?

In 2003 and 2005, who was in control of the Congress? Who was President? Who supported the bill? Who supported it and who didn't?

Did Obama kill the bill? :cuckoo:

Hey Professor Einstein, do you know what a filibuster is?

How much time were they supposed to spend debating a bill they couldn't get passed because Democrats were going to filibuster?

Here's some more Kool-Aid from mix master Pelosi...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxMInSfanqg]YouTube - Nancy Pelosi, Barney Frank, and Democrats are Clueless on Freddie Mac Fannie Mae and the financial credit crisis.[/ame]

Last edited:

---

We have been through this before. Do a little more research.

The average contribution to Obama was like a hundred bucks.

Those "big institution" contributions never happened.

For instance, the largest single contribution from "Freddie/Fannie" went to McCain, but "Freddie/Fannie" gave much more money to Obama. How can that be?

The people who worked at "Freddie/Fannie" gave fund raisers and took up collections, then they bundled the money together and contributed it to Obama under the name "Freddie/Fannie", because they all work there.

The company I work at did the same thing. The people bundled their money together, sent it to Obama under the company name, because everyone works here. But the company itself gave money to McCain. That is why both candidates are listed as receiving money from this one company.

So, was it a simple "mistake" or a "lie"?

Understatement

thank you

dD

He sure did get a lot of campaign contibutions from the same banks we bailed-out for someone who "wasn't in the Senate long enough to effect much".

Yes he did. Were the contributions from individuals in the banking industry or from 'the banks'?

Obama's economic team is very much a part of the system. The system the right built and the Dems maintained when the GOP would be out of power, but who was in charge of regulating the financial industry for the last 20 years?

Pointing out Obama was supported by the very same people who loved Ronald Reagan and Bush -- Wall Street -- is sort of silly. You're using talking points you find on the web without doing any research.

Stop trying to score points and learn how to use what you got. You appear to be bright, with a dim bulb in your socket. Try putting that ideological crap aside and do some homework. Open your mind. Stop using talking points force fed to you by a search engine and people who know how to manipulate lazy minds.

:eusa_whistle:

AMEN! :clap2:
I know.

Hysteria is contagious.

never fear, I have an antidote. :eusa_whistle:

---

We have been through this before. Do a little more research.

The average contribution to Obama was like a hundred bucks.

Those "big institution" contributions never happened.

For instance, the largest single contribution from "Freddie/Fannie" went to McCain, but "Freddie/Fannie" gave much more money to Obama. How can that be?

The people who worked at "Freddie/Fannie" gave fund raisers and took up collections, then they bundled the money together and contributed it to Obama under the name "Freddie/Fannie", because they all work there.

The company I work at did the same thing. The people bundled their money together, sent it to Obama under the company name, because everyone works here. But the company itself gave money to McCain. That is why both candidates are listed as receiving money from this one company.

So, was it a simple "mistake" or a "lie"?

Are you actually trying to say they don't know where their bread got buttered?

Why do you think these individual donations are made under the company name instead of the individual's names?

Anyone going anywhere in that company attended the fundraisers and contributed handsomely to the candidates of the company's choosing.

The campaign finance laws don't work. Thanks for the update!

New Topics

Forum List

Back