External Optical Drive

Alex.

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2014
I am thinking of getting an External Optical Drive

Main purpose would be to transfer photos 15000+ and music videos I make of my "performances"

I will take with me when I travel, I will use to watch movies on disc as sometime I have very poor reception/none where I travel and want to chill with a flick. Blu Ray would be a good thing (maybe)

I want usb 3.0 instead of usb 2.0 for speed, capacity and to power up the device.

Any ideas?

I've always had my OD built-in. I need it that way for work. I have an external on the shelf in case the in-laptop ever goes down but have never had to use it yet. :dunno:

Not sure 3.0 would give you any advantage. I think that's more for transfer speed, but streaming a video only takes so much.

What are these uh, "performances" then? (hey, you put it in quotes... )

• Banned
I've always had my OD built-in. I need it that way for work. I have an external on the shelf in case the in-laptop ever goes down but have never had to use it yet. :dunno:

Not sure 3.0 would give you any advantage. I think that's more for transfer speed, but streaming a video only takes so much.

Yes the 3.0 is better for back and forth transfers and a source of power to the unit as I understand it,.

Performances my music people I play with practice etc. nothing interesting.

Yes the 3.0 is better for back and forth transfers and a source of power to the unit as I understand it,.

So what do you play?

• Banned

So what do you play?
Variety of instruments stringed, keys used to play brass, still dabble.

So what do you play?

Kewl. I do too, with the exception of the brass.

• Banned

So what do you play?

Kewl. I do too, with the exception of the brass.
That is very cool get lost in my soul when I play

Main purpose would be to transfer photos 15000+ and music videos I make of my "performances"

I will take with me when I travel, I will use to watch movies on disc as sometime I have very poor reception/none where I travel and want to chill with a flick. Blu Ray would be a good thing (maybe)

I want usb 3.0 instead of usb 2.0 for speed, capacity and to power up the device.

Any ideas?

USB 3.0 does not increase capacity, or power. Both will power up portable DVD writers, if they are designed to run off the USB power. A DVD writer that requires power, will require power whether it is USB 2.0 or 3.0. Equally, a DVD writer that does not require power, but runs off USB, will run off USB 2.0 or 3.0.

Jet.com

Samsung 8x Slim DVD+/-RW Slim USB External Drive, Black SE-208DB/TSBS

If the link fails, just google SE-208DB. This is the DVD writer that I purchased. I did not purchase it from that link... that link is an example. My local store had them on sale for $23.

Crash course in DVD basics.

That portable USB 2.0 DVD writer is 8X speed. 8X speed, has a *theoretical* maximum data transfer of 36 MB/s. USB 2.0 has a *theoretical* max speed of 40 MB/s. 12X speed has a *theoretical* max data speed of 56 MB/s

In other words, if you purchase any DVD drive with a speed of 8X or lower, you don't need USB 3.0. Doesn't help. Doesn't hurt, but you are paying more money, for zero benefit.

Be wary of any 'slim' DVD writer with high speeds.

This PawTec Portable DVD writer listed at $159, had 24X.... but read the print.....

"High-Speed Writing and Functionality with USB 3.0
The Pawtec UltraSlim External USB 3.0 Slot-Loading BDXL 3D Blu-Ray Writer features are truly one-of-a-kind. The writer burns CD discs at up to 24x, DVD disc at up to 8x, and Blu-Ray disc at up to 6x."

See? DVD writes at 8x. Blu-Ray at 6X. It only burns CDs at 24X. Slimline case. If it's slimline cased, it's not going to be all that fast. If it says otherwise, check.

Point being, paying a premium for that USB 3.0 did nothing. DVD at 8X, and Blu-Ray at 6X... doesn't need USB 3.0. You just blew a ton of money on nothing.

What you will find, is that any portable DVD writer that is faster than 8X, will cost a ton more, and most will require external power.

If you want USB powered DVD writer, you will generally be stuck with 8X. If you are going to be stuck with 8X speeds, then just buy a USB 2.0 drive for $25. Why waste the money?

Also... be very clear about what you want. There are a few 12X. But the speed difference between 8X and 12X, is so small.... is it really worth paying $99 instead of $25, for 2 minutes of wait time?

For you it might. For me, no. This 8X is plenty fast, and I've used it for several years now, burning DVDs and watching movies. No problems.

Now if you do 20 DVD burns a day, then maybe that hour savings is worth the extra cash. But just be aware, most are going to need a power outlet, and some are going to be big and bulky.

Any ideas?

USB 3.0 does not increase capacity, or power. Both will power up portable DVD writers, if they are designed to run off the USB power. A DVD writer that requires power, will require power whether it is USB 2.0 or 3.0. Equally, a DVD writer that does not require power, but runs off USB, will run off USB 2.0 or 3.0.

Jet.com

If the link fails, just google SE-208DB. This is the DVD writer that I purchased. I did not purchase it from that link... that link is an example. My local store had them on sale for $23.

That portable USB 2.0 DVD writer is 8X speed. 8X speed, has a *theoretical* maximum data transfer of 36 MB/s. USB 2.0 has a *theoretical* max speed of 40 MB/s. 12X speed has a *theoretical* max data speed of 56 MB/s

In other words, if you purchase any DVD drive with a speed of 8X or lower, you don't need USB 3.0. Doesn't help. Doesn't hurt, but you are paying more money, for zero benefit.

This PawTec Portable DVD writer listed at $159, had 24X.... but read the print.....

The Pawtec UltraSlim External USB 3.0 Slot-Loading BDXL 3D Blu-Ray Writer features are truly one-of-a-kind. The writer burns CD discs at up to 24x, DVD disc at up to 8x, and Blu-Ray disc at up to 6x."

See? DVD writes at 8x. Blu-Ray at 6X. It only burns CDs at 24X. Slimline case. If it's slimline cased, it's not going to be all that fast. If it says otherwise, check.

Point being, paying a premium for that USB 3.0 did nothing. DVD at 8X, and Blu-Ray at 6X... doesn't need USB 3.0. You just blew a ton of money on nothing.

What you will find, is that any portable DVD writer that is faster than 8X, will cost a ton more, and most will require external power.

If you want USB powered DVD writer, you will generally be stuck with 8X. If you are going to be stuck with 8X speeds, then just buy a USB 2.0 drive for $25. Why waste the money?

Also... be very clear about what you want. There are a few 12X. But the speed difference between 8X and 12X, is so small.... is it really worth paying $99 instead of $25, for 2 minutes of wait time?

For you it might. For me, no. This 8X is plenty fast, and I've used it for several years now, burning DVDs and watching movies. No problems.

Now if you do 20 DVD burns a day, then maybe that hour savings is worth the extra cash. But just be aware, most are going to need a power outlet, and some are going to be big and bulky.

Very very illuminating. For what I need the inexpensive 8x will do just fine. Thanks

Any ideas?

Jet.com

Very very illuminating. For what I need the inexpensive 8x will do just fine. Thanks

Perfect. Then my advise would be, pick any brand with good feedback, and get whatever is most economical. USB 2.0 or 3.0 won't make any difference for you. None that you would ever detect. Save your money. My Samsung has worked well for me.

Forum List

Back