Exposing the Minimum Wage Propaganda

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
If it sounds good, the American people are gullible as all get out.

Welcome Back to Democratland
By Mona Charen, The Conservative Voice
January 19, 2007

Consider the increase in the minimum wage Congress passed by a vote of 315-116 (more than 80 Republicans joined all of the Democrats in voting aye). The speeches were heartwarming. "With the passage of this crucial legislation, we will reward work, paying America's workers a decent wage so they may join in our nation's prosperity," declared Speaker Pelosi. Majority Leader Steny Hoyer chimed in that "You should not be relegated to poverty if you work hard and play by the rules." Rep. Bill Pascrell proclaimed that "The little guy is not going to be forgotten any longer."

Sounds great. The Democrats are back in power, and now the deserving working poor are finally going to be paid a living wage.

Except that it isn't true.

for full article: http://www.theconservativevoice.com/article/22133.html

I'm against minimum wage. But the only problem is that some employers will abuse this and work people for dirt cheap. Otherwise it could bring down costs of living, etc.

I'm against minimum wage. But the only problem is that some employers will abuse this and work people for dirt cheap. Otherwise it could bring down costs of living, etc.

And you hit that nail on its head:

http://www.economist.com/debate/freeexchange/2007/01/it_looks_very_much_as.cfm

... CEO's who support higher minimum wages are not, as the media often casts them, renegade heros speaking truth to power because their inner moral voice bids them be silent no more. They are by and large, like Mr Sinegal, the heads of companies that pay well above the minimum wage. Forcing up the labour costs of their competitors, while simultaneously collecting good PR for "daring" to support a higher minimum, is a terrific business move. But it is not altruistic, nor does it make him a "maverick". Costco's biggest competitor, Wal-Mart, also supports a higher minimum wage, and for the same reason. Wal-Mart's average wage is already above the new minimum; it will cost the company little, while possibly forcing mom-and-pop stores that compete with Wal-Mart out of business. This seems blindingly obvious to me. Though I don't expect we'll see "the minimum wage—it's great for Wal-Mart!" in many Democratic campaign commercials.

I wonder about the future of Wal-Mart really. They have put a lot of businesses out because of the mass supplies and lower prices because of the bulk they have. I have a feeling the liberals are going to do something to put Wal-Mart in the corner. See I this minimum wage increase will have something to do with Wal-Mart and the small business owner. K-mart damn near lost there shirt and I don't think they ever really recovered from it due to being over zealous with marketing. I'm against the minimum wage increase because it pretty much gives all manufactures or businesses a right to increase prices. We saw it after Katrina and if you will look at things before Katrina with fuel prices. That storm came at the right time to enforce the increased prices.
Now saying this I’m not wealthy and I live meager but I don’t want to be paying more than I need to just so some high school kid can make 7.25 or more an hour on there first job in life. Anyone who lives on minimum wage is either mentally challenged, lazy with no ambition or a student. With all the loans available for college this issue shouldn’t even have ever been mentioned or voted for in the house. I work a full time job and I’m a full time student and I’m middle aged. I started going to school so I would retain my use in the job market in 15~20 years from now.

I wonder about the future of Wal-Mart really. They have put a lot of businesses out because of the mass supplies and lower prices because of the bulk they have. I have a feeling the liberals are going to do something to put Wal-Mart in the corner. See I this minimum wage increase will have something to do with Wal-Mart and the small business owner. K-mart damn near lost there shirt and I don't think they ever really recovered from it due to being over zealous with marketing. I'm against the minimum wage increase because it pretty much gives all manufactures or businesses a right to increase prices. We saw it after Katrina and if you will look at things before Katrina with fuel prices. That storm came at the right time to enforce the increased prices.
Now saying this I’m not wealthy and I live meager but I don’t want to be paying more than I need to just so some high school kid can make 7.25 or more an hour on there first job in life. Anyone who lives on minimum wage is either mentally challenged, lazy with no ambition or a student. With all the loans available for college this issue shouldn’t even have ever been mentioned or voted for in the house. I work a full time job and I’m a full time student and I’m middle aged. I started going to school so I would retain my use in the job market in 15~20 years from now.

The Economist would agree, you pretty much summarized the article, though the concluding part which I'd included was more about those companies, including Walmart that 'sound' so concerned, already pay more than min. wage. Their concern is directed at their smaller competition which may only be able to pay min.wage, thus increasing their costs, thereby being easier to put out of business.

The minimum wage is something the idiot elected can do that doesn't raise anyones taxes, is seen as "doing something" for the poor, is seen as "sticking it to the rich," and goes a long way towards getting these people elected.

And getting re-elected is Job #1 when it comes to politicians... never forget that. This isn't about helping anyone... it's about getting the stupid sheeple to vote for them.

Without illegal immigration and globalization there would be no need for a minimum wage .the government legislates this poverty then offers socialized medicine and minimum wage as its solution to the problem

Without illegal immigration and globalization there would be no need for a minimum wage .the government legislates this poverty then offers socialized medicine and minimum wage as its solution to the problem

I think that's the smartest thing I've ever seen you post.

Also, remember that if they really wanted to solve a problem, they could easily draft minimum wage legislation that would slave the minimum wage to inflation, but that would prevent you from introducing new, vote-buying, minimum wage legislation in the future.

I watched some debate on the senate floor about the issue on CSPAN. I have to say as a conservative the Republicans are starting to piss me off.

The debate was about adding an ammendment to the wage increase that would extend tax benefits to small businesses until 2012 (to off set the added expense in paying higher wages).

Two problems with this one. 1) The ammendmant to help small business didn't even pass. 2) and what really makes me mad, non of the fricking Republicans even spoke about the absolute economic stupidity that is the minimum wage. Hell, Lamar Alexander even patted himself on the back for reaching bi-partisan agreement in increasing wages.

What on earth is wrong with these people? Anyone who has taken an introductory economics class can figure out why the min wage is not a good thing...for anybody.

Nevermind I know the answer to that one. Frickin politics, the Dems have the Reps convinced that american's are stupid and can't figure this out. They think it will really hurt come election time so their basically trying to save their hides.

From my blog back on Jan 3rd.

Here it is, the third day of the new year and we are about to get political. But, does it matter and should the <a title="Mr. or Mrs. Middle Class USA"><u>McUSA's</u></a> even care? Let's see....
<span id="fullpost">
<p>Democrats intend to raise the minimum wage and are talking ethics reform. In fact, today they (the ethics reformers) were upstaged by war protesters. Neither of these issues will impact the <a title="Mr. or Mrs. Middle Class USA"><u>McUSA's</u></a>. Why? Because a higher minimum wage will simply be passed on to consumers. So the cost of a happy meal will go up, and the guy who says "<a title="First Cousin to Mr. 'You want fries with that?'"><u>you want to supersize that</u></a>?" has no further incentive to improve himself. And as to ethics reform in congress..... a contradiction in terms worthy of Jumbo Shrimp or Efficient Bureaucracy.</p>

More

New Topics

Forum List

Back