Exploiting Beauty

Mayo is mayo.

Of course there are. For the most part the masses are easily swayed. Those that aren't are the extreme minority.

Most people will pay twice as much for a brand name ketchup rather than the store brand, for example.

I won't. The list of things I buy name brands of is very short.

Many threads over the past year have mentioned the relatively recent trend of advertisers using POC's, obese people, and people who are otherwise visually imperfect in their ads. It's a choice those advertisers make, and one would hope that they are being rational about it, and will either continue or change that practice as the results roll in over time.

But there is another side of that coin. Does it bother you when an advertiser uses female beauty to "punctuate" advertising for products that have nothing to do with physical beauty?

Historically, car companies have for many decades used beautiful women in their television ads, and when promoting their products at trade shows. But it is not only car companies; it is ubiquitous. Where I live in Pittsburgh, there is a local bank that runs ads that briefly show a beautiful, sexy young thing touting some sort of new account they are peddling. I am in virtual love with a young lady whose picture appears - again briefly - in advertising for a company called stamps dot com.

Knowing that 99% of the population is physically "plain," at best, does it offend you that so many advertisers use beautiful models to sell their products?
Hey, it's a living when a proprietor has a lot of mouths to feed. And the beautiful models like their income.

It is a great commercial for anyone not homophobic. The fact the couple was two men would have probably not even registered with me had you not pointed it out.

It has to suck going through life full of hate for those different than you.
it would suck to be you so easily offended when someone offers an opinion.....grow up, its called freedom of expression and queers can say what they want so why not everyone else

it would suck to be you so easily offended when someone offers an opinion.....grow up, its called freedom of expression and queers can say what they want so why not everyone else

I agree, he was very easily offended.

And, did I say anyone was not allowed to say something?

Do you not see the irony of you attacking me for using my freedom of expression to criticize the freedom of expression from someone else?

Knowing that 99% of the population is physically "plain," at best, does it offend you that so many advertisers use beautiful models to sell their products?
Not at all brother...in fact I can't get enough of it...beauty is a gift not only for those who possess it but to those who gaze upon it as well...
I can remember the first commercial that made me appreciate such salesmanship...a Noxzema shaving cream commercial where Joe Namath got a smack on the hindquarters by one of the most beautiful women I ever laid eyes on...Farrah Faucet...aaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!
Beauty deserves its rewards and the rest of us should be able to enjoy it as well...JMO

Forum List

Back