Explaining Conservatives

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
How do we judge the nature of strangers, or those we know only in passing?

Simply by assuming them to be most like the individual we know the best. That is the measuring stick we use to estimate.
Hence, the old saying 'we can only judge others by ourselves.'

What would we do in similar circumstances, how would we act, what would we say?
That's human nature.

1. I find this most explicative when one on the other side of the political divide calls the other a liar.
I don't lie. But I have found that those who do so regularly are the quickest to jump to this accusation.

Nor is it a surprise to find that those on the Left, the Liberal folks, are the fastest on the draw in this respect.

2. Another character difference between the two political persuasions is individualism. It is one of the cornerstones of conservatism, and the 'sotto voce' of America's founding documents. We want to make our own decisions.

The other side seems to feel that we lack the capability, and they should do this for us. That's why Liberal folks leap to ban things that they don't like, and use judicial decree to overturn voter's opinions.

And that goes right back to judging others by ourselves.
Liberals must feel that they need experts to 'advise' them what the right things to do are.
When Liberals hear the words ‘studies show,’ or ‘experts say,’ they cease to ‘question authority.’

3. And speaking of judging others by oneself, it seems to me a constant calumny by Liberals that Rush Limbaugh and Fox News tell right-wingers, and conservatives what to think....but I never hear conservatives claiming that those on the Left are 'programmed' by the ubiquitous variations on MSNBC or the NYTimes that echo throughout our secular society.
Why is that?

Kinda sounds like the Left is trying to prevent the reality from becoming broadcast....i.e., they are the ones who march lock-step, following orders.

4. Another difference is preparation, knowledge,...or perhaps that related to item #3.
Conservatives know more about what's going on....in fact, if Liberals knew as many of the ingredients in a story as conservatives do, they'd probably be conservatives. Instead, when they're told things they didn't know, they shout "liar!"

Examples? Sure....

a. "Stephanopoulos appeared on The Sean Hannity Show and New York radio station WOR's The Steve Malzberg Show, where both Hannity and Malzberg suggested to Stephanopoulos that he ask Obama about Ayers."
Right-wing radio hosts suggested "damn good" Ayers question to Stephanopoulos day before Dem debate | Research | Media Matters for America
He didn't know about Ayers!!

b. CBS's Bob Schieffer on Sunday said the reason he didn't ask Attorney General Eric Holder about the New Black Panther Party voter intimidation case on last week's "Face the Nation" was because he didn't know about it.
Chatting with Howard Kurtz on CNN's "Reliable Sources," Schieffer said, "This all really became a story when the whistleblower came out and testified that he'd had to leave the Justice Department and so on. And, frankly, had I known about that, I would have asked the question."
His excuse?
"I was on vacation that week. This happened -- apparently, it got very little publicity. And, you know, I just didn't know about it" (video follows with transcript and commentary):
Bob Schieffer: What Black Panther Story? 'I Was on Vacation' - Fox Nation

c. Several Chicago readers and Twitterers report that ABC News anchor Charlie Gibson told WLS-AM Chicago talk show hosts Don Wade and Roma this morning that the reason he hasn’t covered the ACORN scandal is that he didn’t know about it.

“…Charlie Gibson on as their usual Tuesday morning guest. Don asked Charlie, why, after the senate last night voted to halt funding to ACORN and after three of those video tapes of ACORN employees helping the pimp and prostitute set up shop, there was no mention of it anywhere on the network news. Charlie gave out a most uncomfortable laugh and said that that was the first he heard of it!”
ABC’s Jake Tapper reported on the Census Bureau’s decision to drop ACORN from its data collection partnerships on Friday as a result of BigGovernment.com’s video stings.
Gibson also admitted to Don and Roma that he didn’t know about the Senate vote to de-fund ACORN.
Michelle Malkin | ACORN Watch: Charlie Gibson and the ostrich media; Update: Audio added «

Maybe the difference is just plain ol' laziness.

5. One more difference: insight- found more in the conservative camp than in the Liberal.
There was actually a study by Jonathan Haidt, a social psychologist at the University of Virginia who, until 2009, considered himself a partisan liberal.

"In “The Righteous Mind,” Haidt seeks to enrich liberalism, and political discourse generally, with a deeper awareness of human nature.
The hardest part, Haidt finds, is getting liberals to open their minds. Anecdotally, he reports that when he talks about authority, loyalty and sanctity, many people in the audience spurn these ideas as the seeds of racism, sexism and homophobia. And in a survey of 2,000 Americans, Haidt found that self-described liberals, especially those who called themselves “very liberal,” were worse at predicting the moral judgments of moderates and conservatives than moderates and conservatives were at predicting the moral judgments of liberals.

Liberals don’t understand conservative values. And they can’t recognize this failing, because they’re so convinced of their rationality, open-mindedness and enlightenment."
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/bo...anted=all&_r=0

Sadly, it is much easier in our milieu to be a Liberal than a conservative, and perhaps because there are so many more of 'em, it even takes an extra dollop of courage to be a conservative...

And....in judging others by ourselves....
.... we end up being governed by ineptitude personified.

embracing cheating the American people out of their vote is not bravery its being a traitor

Conservatives believe a person is responsible for themselves and their family.

Liberals believe the community is responsible for everyone thus they can tell you what to do and they can take what they want from you for the "collective."

embracing cheating the American people out of their vote is not bravery its being a traitor

Same problems as when you left?
You appear to have stumbled into the wrong thread, as there is nothing about 'votes' in this one.

Isn't it dangerous to use one's entire vocabulary in a single answer?

I can understand why you are unable to respond to the OP in question....
You must lose arguments with inanimate objects.

Still, I'm so glad that our friend, the human piñata, has returned!

You appear to have stumbled into the wrong thread, as there is nothing about 'votes' in this one.

It would be an interesting study if the dissociative phenomena found in TM were closely watched if an original thought penetrated the veil of self-denial. The barrage of insults thrown at the imagined personalities discussing a new concept would be astounding.

His best work, IMO.

No Chorus, not one repeated line and from the heart.....

Especially the very last line in the song.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WOP6R3JvNHg]Positively 4th Street (Post Production) - YouTube[/ame]

It's BAAAAAAaaaack~

All you muppets that thought you had a shot at being most logically challenged, hyper partisan hack on these boards just lost that chance. TM is here to prove she has got nothing intelligent or worth saying, but that won't stop it from polluting the internet.

Nice to see you back TM, we missed 30 pages of strait loling at you.

Last edited:
A lot of assumptions there, seems more an attempt to explain liberals by projection than any kind of explanation of conservatives.

Conservatives crave the familiar and are fond of forming either/or divisions in everything about the world. They like to boil things down to simplicity even at the cost of a full understanding. They abhor the gray area, loath ambiguity and hate the things that defy a simple understanding. They are intellectually lazy preferring stereotypes to a less clear-cut reality. At their core this need to categorize things into easily identifiable groups: friend/enemy, us/them, bad/good, etc. is their main defining characteristic. Add to this a tendency to stick with their first initial knee-jerk reaction to an issue in the face of subsequent contradictory evidence and you have a basic understanding of the conservative mindset.

Now don't get me wrong here, not really trying to piss anyone off, this mindset has advantages in certain ares of life, decisiveness is awesome when the knee-jerk reaction happens to be correct.

Simply by assuming them to be most like the individual we know the best. That is the measuring stick we use to estimate.

That's human nature.

1. I find this most explicative when one on the other side of the political divide calls the other a liar.
I don't lie. But I have found that those who do so regularly are the quickest to jump to this accusation.

Nor is it a surprise to find that those on the Left, the Liberal folks, are the fastest on the draw in this respect.

2. Another character difference between the two political persuasions is individualism. It is one of the cornerstones of conservatism, and the 'sotto voce' of America's founding documents. We want to make our own decisions.

The other side seems to feel that we lack the capability, and they should do this for us. That's why Liberal folks leap to ban things that they don't like, and use judicial decree to overturn voter's opinions.

Liberals must feel that they need experts to 'advise' them what the right things to do are.
When Liberals hear the words ‘studies show,’ or ‘experts say,’ they cease to ‘question authority.’

3. And speaking of judging others by oneself, it seems to me a constant calumny by Liberals that Rush Limbaugh and Fox News tell right-wingers, and conservatives what to think....but I never hear conservatives claiming that those on the Left are 'programmed' by the ubiquitous variations on MSNBC or the NYTimes that echo throughout our secular society.
Why is that?

Kinda sounds like the Left is trying to prevent the reality from becoming broadcast....i.e., they are the ones who march lock-step, following orders.

4. Another difference is preparation, knowledge,...or perhaps that related to item #3.
Conservatives know more about what's going on....in fact, if Liberals knew as many of the ingredients in a story as conservatives do, they'd probably be conservatives. Instead, when they're told things they didn't know, they shout "liar!"

Examples? Sure....

a. "Stephanopoulos appeared on The Sean Hannity Show and New York radio station WOR's The Steve Malzberg Show, where both Hannity and Malzberg suggested to Stephanopoulos that he ask Obama about Ayers."
Right-wing radio hosts suggested "damn good" Ayers question to Stephanopoulos day before Dem debate | Research | Media Matters for America

b. CBS's Bob Schieffer on Sunday said the reason he didn't ask Attorney General Eric Holder about the New Black Panther Party voter intimidation case on last week's "Face the Nation" was because he didn't know about it.
Chatting with Howard Kurtz on CNN's "Reliable Sources," Schieffer said, "This all really became a story when the whistleblower came out and testified that he'd had to leave the Justice Department and so on. And, frankly, had I known about that, I would have asked the question."
His excuse?
"I was on vacation that week. This happened -- apparently, it got very little publicity. And, you know, I just didn't know about it" (video follows with transcript and commentary):

c. Several Chicago readers and Twitterers report that ABC News anchor Charlie Gibson told WLS-AM Chicago talk show hosts Don Wade and Roma this morning that the reason he hasn’t covered the ACORN scandal is that he didn’t know about it.

“…Charlie Gibson on as their usual Tuesday morning guest. Don asked Charlie, why, after the senate last night voted to halt funding to ACORN and after three of those video tapes of ACORN employees helping the pimp and prostitute set up shop, there was no mention of it anywhere on the network news. Charlie gave out a most uncomfortable laugh and said that that was the first he heard of it!”
ABC’s Jake Tapper reported on the Census Bureau’s decision to drop ACORN from its data collection partnerships on Friday as a result of BigGovernment.com’s video stings.
Gibson also admitted to Don and Roma that he didn’t know about the Senate vote to de-fund ACORN.
Michelle Malkin | ACORN Watch: Charlie Gibson and the ostrich media; Update: Audio added «

5. One more difference: insight- found more in the conservative camp than in the Liberal.
There was actually a study by Jonathan Haidt, a social psychologist at the University of Virginia who, until 2009, considered himself a partisan liberal.

"In “The Righteous Mind,” Haidt seeks to enrich liberalism, and political discourse generally, with a deeper awareness of human nature.
The hardest part, Haidt finds, is getting liberals to open their minds. Anecdotally, he reports that when he talks about authority, loyalty and sanctity, many people in the audience spurn these ideas as the seeds of racism, sexism and homophobia. And in a survey of 2,000 Americans, Haidt found that self-described liberals, especially those who called themselves “very liberal,” were worse at predicting the moral judgments of moderates and conservatives than moderates and conservatives were at predicting the moral judgments of liberals.

Liberals don’t understand conservative values. And they can’t recognize this failing, because they’re so convinced of their rationality, open-mindedness and enlightenment."

Sadly, it is much easier in our milieu to be a Liberal than a conservative, and perhaps because there are so many more of 'em, it even takes an extra dollop of courage to be a conservative...

332-206....Romney didnt even make a concession speech...so much for knowing anything.

A lot of assumptions there, seems more an attempt to explain liberals by projection than any kind of explanation of conservatives.

Conservatives crave the familiar and are fond of forming either/or divisions in everything about the world. They like to boil things down to simplicity even at the cost of a full understanding. They abhor the gray area, loath ambiguity and hate the things that defy a simple understanding. They are intellectually lazy preferring stereotypes to a less clear-cut reality. At their core this need to categorize things into easily identifiable groups: friend/enemy, us/them, bad/good, etc. is their main defining characteristic. Add to this a tendency to stick with their first initial knee-jerk reaction to an issue in the face of subsequent contradictory evidence and you have a basic understanding of the conservative mindset.

Now don't get me wrong here, not really trying to piss anyone off, this mindset has advantages in certain ares of life, decisiveness is awesome when the knee-jerk reaction happens to be correct.

Nay, nay....

Take notes here:

1) Conservatives believe that there are moral truths, right and wrong, and that these truths are permanent. The result of infracting these truths will be atrocities and social disaster. Liberals believe in a privatization of morality so complete that no code of conduct is generally accepted, practically to the point of ‘do what you can get away with’. These beliefs are aimed at the gratification of appetites and exhibit anarchistic impulses.

2) Conservatives believe that custom and tradition result in individuals living in peace. Law is custom and precedent. Liberals are destroyers of custom and convention. To a conservative, change should be gradual, as the new society is often inferior to the old. We build on the ideas and experience of our ancestors. The species is wiser than the individual (Burke).

3) Liberals are impulsive, and imprudent. They believe in quick changes, and risk new abuses worse than the ‘evils’ that they would sweep away, since remedies are usually not simple. Plato said that prudence is the mark of the statesman. There should be a balance between permanence and change, while liberals see ‘progress’ as some mythical direction for society.

4) Conservatives believe in the principle of variety, while liberal perspectives result in a narrowing uniformity. Conservatives believe in choice of healthcare, education, religion, and various other areas. Under conservative principles, there will be differences in class, material condition and other inequalities. Equality will be of opportunity, not necessarily of result. The only uniformity will be before the law. Society will not be perfect. Consider the results of the rule of ideologues of the last century.

5) Freedom and property are linked. Private property results in a more stable and productive society. Private property and retaining the fruits of one’s labor has been proven successful from the Puritan’s Bradford, to the Stakhanovite Revolution!

6) Conservatives believe in voluntary community and charity, based on duties to each other, with the assumption that each person must do whatever he could to avoid requiring assistance, as opposed to involuntary collectivism, as in “let the government do it..” Burke's understanding that the "little platoon" - family, neighborhood, professional organizations etc - is the "first principle" of society has been consistently identified as providing the necessary inspiration for conservativism. And explains why conservatives give more to charity than liberals.

7) Conservatives view people as both good and bad, and for this reason believe on restraints on power, as in checks and balances, while liberals see power as a force for good, as long as the power is in their hands.

8) Liberals and Conservatives differ in the way to proceed. For Conservatives, data informs policy. (“More Guns, Less Crime” and “Mass murderers apparently can’t read, since they are constantly shooting up ‘gun-free zones.’”- Coulter) We use Conservative principles to the best of our ability, but when confronting new and original venues, we believe in testing, and analysis of the results of the tests. For liberals, feeling passes for knowing; it is based on emotion often to the exclusion of thinking.

9) Conservatives view results differently from Liberals. Liberals respond to success and material wealth with envy and hostility, encourage class warfare and an attempt to obviate any chance that it might happen again. The exception is when it is a Liberal with the wealth. Conservatives see success as the validation and culmination of the application of Conservative principles, most prominently Liberty.

10) Since Liberals see their view as a higher calling that that of Conservatives, they mistakenly believe that it is entirely appropriate for then to use, not logic, facts, nor accepted debating techniques, but ad hominem attacks on the physical appearance, personal history, or imaginary mental defects. Notice how the Liberal replaces intellect with emotion. This is, no doubt, based on a medieval concept of recognizing witches and demons. In fact, Liberals attempt to deal with opponents in similar fashion: recall Clarence Thomas’ “High Tech Lynching.”

Quiz to follow.
Fold your paper, number one to 10, no erasing, no crossing out!

That's human nature.

Why is that?

Examples? Sure....

His excuse?

332-206....Romney didnt even make a concession speech...so much for knowing anything.

And, this responds exactly how to the OP, Ms Truthmatters....?

Ooop! So sorry....I do get you two confused due to the similarity in presentations.

Nay, nay....

Take notes here:

1) Conservatives believe that there are moral truths, right and wrong, and that these truths are permanent. The result of infracting these truths will be atrocities and social disaster. Liberals believe in a privatization of morality so complete that no code of conduct is generally accepted, practically to the point of ‘do what you can get away with’. These beliefs are aimed at the gratification of appetites and exhibit anarchistic impulses.

2) Conservatives believe that custom and tradition result in individuals living in peace. Law is custom and precedent. Liberals are destroyers of custom and convention. To a conservative, change should be gradual, as the new society is often inferior to the old. We build on the ideas and experience of our ancestors. The species is wiser than the individual (Burke).

3) Liberals are impulsive, and imprudent. They believe in quick changes, and risk new abuses worse than the ‘evils’ that they would sweep away, since remedies are usually not simple. Plato said that prudence is the mark of the statesman. There should be a balance between permanence and change, while liberals see ‘progress’ as some mythical direction for society.

4) Conservatives believe in the principle of variety, while liberal perspectives result in a narrowing uniformity. Conservatives believe in choice of healthcare, education, religion, and various other areas. Under conservative principles, there will be differences in class, material condition and other inequalities. Equality will be of opportunity, not necessarily of result. The only uniformity will be before the law. Society will not be perfect. Consider the results of the rule of ideologues of the last century.

5) Freedom and property are linked. Private property results in a more stable and productive society. Private property and retaining the fruits of one’s labor has been proven successful from the Puritan’s Bradford, to the Stakhanovite Revolution!

6) Conservatives believe in voluntary community and charity, based on duties to each other, with the assumption that each person must do whatever he could to avoid requiring assistance, as opposed to involuntary collectivism, as in “let the government do it..” Burke's understanding that the "little platoon" - family, neighborhood, professional organizations etc - is the "first principle" of society has been consistently identified as providing the necessary inspiration for conservativism. And explains why conservatives give more to charity than liberals.

7) Conservatives view people as both good and bad, and for this reason believe on restraints on power, as in checks and balances, while liberals see power as a force for good, as long as the power is in their hands.

8) Liberals and Conservatives differ in the way to proceed. For Conservatives, data informs policy. (“More Guns, Less Crime” and “Mass murderers apparently can’t read, since they are constantly shooting up ‘gun-free zones.’”- Coulter) We use Conservative principles to the best of our ability, but when confronting new and original venues, we believe in testing, and analysis of the results of the tests. For liberals, feeling passes for knowing; it is based on emotion often to the exclusion of thinking.

9) Conservatives view results differently from Liberals. Liberals respond to success and material wealth with envy and hostility, encourage class warfare and an attempt to obviate any chance that it might happen again. The exception is when it is a Liberal with the wealth. Conservatives see success as the validation and culmination of the application of Conservative principles, most prominently Liberty.

10) Since Liberals see their view as a higher calling that that of Conservatives, they mistakenly believe that it is entirely appropriate for then to use, not logic, facts, nor accepted debating techniques, but ad hominem attacks on the physical appearance, personal history, or imaginary mental defects. Notice how the Liberal replaces intellect with emotion. This is, no doubt, based on a medieval concept of recognizing witches and demons. In fact, Liberals attempt to deal with opponents in similar fashion: recall Clarence Thomas’ “High Tech Lynching.”

Quiz to follow.
Fold your paper, number one to 10, no erasing, no crossing out!

Nothing you wrote contradicts anything I said, especially the part where I said you prefer stereotype to understanding.

It would be an interesting study if the dissociative phenomena found in TM were closely watched if an original thought penetrated the veil of self-denial. The barrage of insults thrown at the imagined personalities discussing a new concept would be astounding.

Hey...just be happy she's back!

There was too darn much punctuation and grammar going on around here!

Excellent OP, PoliticalChic.

. . .

Fundamental differences in a nutshell:

Liberals: democracy; arbitrary law; the Constitution is living

Conservatives: republicanism; the natural law; the Constitution is timeless​

IOW, to explain conservatives further is to associate them with a frame of reference. That is, the success of American republicanism before the Progressive Era, millennia of reason and experience, and legislative predictability.

With the dismantling of its frame of reference, the United States is devolving into majority tyranny, an ordinary country that has strayed from its centrist, Constitutional moorings.

Excellent OP, PoliticalChic.

. . .

Fundamental differences in a nutshell:

Liberals: democracy; arbitrary law; the Constitution is living

Conservatives: republicanism; the natural law; the Constitution is timeless​

IOW, to explain conservatives further is to associate them with a frame of reference. That is, the success of American republicanism before the Progressive Era, millennia of reason and experience, and legislative predictability.

With the dismantling of its frame of reference, the United States is devolving into majority tyranny, an ordinary country that has strayed from its centrist, Constitutional moorings.

Speaking of a frame of reference, this is where practically everyone is screwing up here. If conservatives/progressives were nothing more than political movements then the difference would not be so intractable. The difference is much more basic, a kind of inborn personality trait that has probably existed since the beginning of time having both contributed to human culture in different ways. Few conservatives ever went exploring the unknown, few progressives ever happily stayed home doing exactly what their fathers did. Trying to frame the differences in politics is to ignore the basic psychology of the human race. Some of us are dissatisfied wanderers and some are satisfied tradition bound homebodies, both have their places in society and neither would exist without the other.

That's human nature.

thank you fro admitting you have to cheat in elections because there are just too many Americans who are left leaning

we should be winning all the elections huh if there is more of us.

why did the scotus not save your party last year?

Liberal politicians aka Democraps will say and/or do anything to stay in power.

They will openly lie to the American public about the impact, inflated benefits and true intentions of Obamacare just to win an election.

They will pull out of Iraq without a SOFA and losing all the military gains there just to win votes back here all the while turning Iraq into a terrorist haven like Afghanistan before 9-11.

They will sell out blacks here for illegals gaining amnesty because they believe blacks will never walk off the plantation and illegals are 10-14 million more voters.

They will gut the US military (gays in the military/DoD cuts/women in combat roles) to appease gays and their friends overseas that don't want a strong US in the name of gaining more votes here with their base.

They will support the Fed's QE policy that is propping up the stock market with inflated gains all the while in a recession knowing this could cause a total collapse of the financial markets when the game is up in 1-5 years.

Liberals will chose their best interests over the interests of this country.

New Topics

Forum List

Back